[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vacation Thread  (Read 2099 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Vacation Thread
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »
Thinking about going to england, specifically London very soon. May even do grad school but just asking for recommendations for a first timer. Think recent college grad budget.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Vacation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Thinking about going to england, specifically London very soon. May even do grad school but just asking for recommendations for a first timer. Think recent college grad budget.

There is a single malt tasting booth past immigration at Heathrow. EVERY single malt distilled in Scotland is available for tasting at no charge. I have only seen red haired lasses on long stems and short kilts tending this booth. Enjoy.   

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
The best food I've had in London is Lebanese at Maroush, a couple blocks west of Harrods.

Great coffee at Tomtom in Belgravia.

Great Indian food most everywhere.

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Going for the Rugby World Cup?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »
The best food I've had in London is Lebanese at Maroush, a couple blocks west of Harrods.

That speaks volumes about Britain's culinary heritage.

It is actually true that the best food in any UK town is the curry shop on the high street which, again, says something.

Death on call

source?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 01:25:09 AM »
I got back from London less than a month ago. I don't know for sure what your budget is, or if you already have accommodations, but if you are looking for something between a hostel and a full hotel I recommend the tune hotels. They are great for the basics, clean, nice staff, the location I stayed at was a 10 minute walk from King's Cross. I don't know if you are a fan of Harry Potter, but King's Cross is also the location of platform 9 3/4, and they do have a site for it. Great location, close to the British library (free admission, cool building, some cool exhibits but some of them do require paid admission). The Wallace collection is very under appreciated, but it is free admission (as are most museums in London) and contains works by Fragonard, Peter Paul Rubens, Velasquez, Rembrandt, and many more. The national gallery and British Museum are both free and both great. The Globe theater has some standing room tickets for 5 pounds (maybe $8) and you can see a historic building and a show.

As far as food goes, try the local fish and chips in a couple of different spots, then switch to Indian food. The clubs are open for late night drinking, but a lot of the pubs stop serving food at 8 and close around 11. I definitely recommend a pub crawl if you can swing it.

I hope you have a great trip!

EDIT: Sandeman's new Europe has free walking tours, but they do ask that you tip the tour guide at the end. I did one in London (and Edinburgh, and Dublin) and they are great. Basically it is a "pay what you can afford" walking tour. Highly recommend.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:45:01 AM by source? »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »
I don't know if it's still open, but I really enjoyed my visit to the London Dungeon.  It's like a history museum on torture and the mistreatment of peasants.  Intriguing in unique way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
I don't know if it's still open, but I really enjoyed my visit to the London Dungeon.  It's like a history museum on torture and the mistreatment of peasants.  Intriguing in unique way.

Finally figured out who you are

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Imperial War Museum

Death on call

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »
Went a couple of years ago and my wife and I enjoyed this walking night tour....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d1383076-Reviews-The_Blood_and_Tears_Walk-London_England.html

source?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
Went a couple of years ago and my wife and I enjoyed this walking night tour....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d1383076-Reviews-The_Blood_and_Tears_Walk-London_England.html

I did a Jack the Ripper walking tour. It was fun and educational, but not super budget friendly.

feedback