Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MattVelazquezSays]Matt Carlino works out with Bucks then jets off to Italy  (Read 6558 times)

MattVelazquezSays

Matt Carlino works out with Bucks then jets off to Italy

<br /><br />St. Francis &amp;mdash; Though Milwaukee Hamilton product Kevon Looney was the star of Thursday's Bucks draft workout, another player with local ties took the floor at the Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin Training Center.<br />
Source: Matt Carlino works out with Bucks then jets off to Italy

MURFC

• Team Captain
How did Carlino, who is not an Italian citizen, get selected for this team?

"They just contacted me," Carlino said. "I think (it was) the last name and then things just kind of went from there. I don't have dual citizenship, but that's what they're working on now."

Wow...what unbelievable luck.  To have an EU passport fall into you lap because your last name sounds good.....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Not an EU passport, an Italian passport.

My surname is of Italian decent (even though I'm 4th generation US) and I know through other family members that Italy is desperate to stop their population from shrinking (which it has for decades) so it is very easy to get an Italian passport if you have an Italian sounding last name .. It's €100 and fill out a form and you'll get it in a few weeks.

Galway Eagle

• All American

My surname is of Italian decent (even though I'm 4th generation US) and I know through other family members that Italy is desperate to stop their population from shrinking (which it has for decades) so it is very easy to get an Italian passport if you have an Italian sounding last name .. It's €100 and fill out a form and you'll get it in a few weeks.

A few weeks really? My mom's from Ireland and it took me about a year to get my Irish citizenship. And yet because I have an Italian last name I could've just gotten the Italian one? Damn.
Maigh Eo for Sam

moomoo

• Team Captain

Heisenberg, I don't want to be rude, but you are incorrect on every level. Incredibly difficult to get. Unless you are like carlino and have some help. 

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Heisenberg, I don't want to be rude, but you are incorrect on every level. Incredibly difficult to get. Unless you are like carlino and have some help.  

I said Italian passport (not EU passport), not Italian citizenship.  I have a few family members with them.  

Italy is supposedly the easiest of the EU countries to start with a passport (if you are of Italian ancestry) and then get dual citizenship (I say supposedly because I don't know how hard the other countries are).

http://www.youritalianpassport.com/

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/index.php?content=qualification.html

ADDED

The article says the Italian national team is also looking at Villanova Ryan Arcidiacono and Creighton's Will Artino in addition to Carlino.  Their is a reason for this ... a passport and then dual Italian citizenship for Americans of Italian ancestry is easier to obtain than any other EU country.  Maybe that is why they are looking for American basketball players who have name that end on a vowel.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:23:02 PM by Heisenberg »

moomoo

• Team Captain
Heisinator

You are not making sense, paesano.

You can't get an Italian passport without being an Italian citizen. And it is incredibly difficult it to become an Italian citizen. Takes years of paperwork to see if you are even eligible.

And the European Union does not issue passports, but ordinary passports are issued by its 28 member countries.

I won't make any more posts on this topic, out of respect to the Marquette family who couldn't give two $hits about Italian citizenship.

Looking forward to wojo's sophomore year.

Auguri a tutti!!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Maybe Diener had a hand in this. How did he go about getting Italian citizenship?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
So with my Italian ancestry I can get a passport and dual citizenship?

My wife and kids have dual citizenship and passports from Poland.  It took some time and the paperwork had to be perfect.  One of the caveats was the paperwork needed to be turned in before my kids turned 18.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Heisinator

You can't get an Italian passport without being an Italian citizen. And it is incredibly difficult it to become an Italian citizen. Takes years of paperwork to see if you are even eligible.

And the European Union does not issue passports, but ordinary passports are issued by its 28 member countries.

I won't make any more posts on this topic, out of respect to the Marquette family who couldn't give two $hits about Italian citizenship.

Auguri a tutti!!

OK, I'm wrong about this ... and all my relatives (three) that were American born and raised that have Italian passports that acquired them in "weeks" (their description to me) without the help of any lawyer are lying to me.  

(Again I don't have one, I only know they do and I only know what they told me ... and they said if you are of Italian ancestry it is A LOT easier to get one that if you are not).  Again, it is not a coincidence that the Italian team is seeking American players with Italian Ancestry, see my post above.

And yes I know the EU does not issue passports, I was correcting MURFC's post, please see above.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:53:12 PM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So with my Italian ancestry I can get a passport and dual citizenship?

My wife and kids have dual citizenship and passports from Poland.  It took some time and the paperwork had to be perfect.  One of the caveats was the paperwork needed to be turned in before my kids turned 18.

Every country is different.  Your experience with Poland means little for the process in another country.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Maybe Diener had a hand in this. How did he go about getting Italian citizenship?

Nope ... from the article

Marquette director of player personnel Travis Diener played professional basketball in Italy from 2010-'14, but Carlino says the two haven't discussed the basketball component of his trip much.

"(We) mostly talked about the food," Carlino said.

4everwarriors

• All American

Yo, I didn't know Heisenberg was Italian, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Heisinator

Auguri a tutti!!

http://www.youritalianpassport.com/qualifications-for-italian-citizenship.php
According to Italian Law 91 of February 5, 1992, Italian citizenship is conferred by bloodline. In other words, the descendant of an Italian citizen is already an Italian citizen.  The descendant need only have his/her Italian citizenship recognized by the Italian government.  An individual seeking to have his/her Italian citizenship recognized need only to produce evidence that everyone in his/her direct line of ascendants uninterruptedly maintained their Italian citizenship.

moomoo

• Team Captain
According to Italian Law 91 of February 5, 1992, Italian citizenship is conferred by bloodline. In other words, the descendant of an Italian citizen is already an Italian citizen.  The descendant need only have his/her Italian citizenship recognized by the Italian government.  An individual seeking to have his/her Italian citizenship recognized need only to produce evidence that everyone in his/her direct line of ascendants uninterruptedly maintained their Italian citizenship.

"Just when I thought I was out.........they pull me back in"

- Michael Corleone

But you need to prove that your ancestor never renounced his Italian citizenship before you were born (which is a bureaucratic nightmare), and then you must translate all the documents.

If it were simple, the 50 million South Americans who have Italian blood would become citizens and enjoy the free health care and welfare system that the EU provides. And the 25 million Italian Americans would do the same (why not?). I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying it is not as easy as filling out a form and waiting three weeks. You need to prove and authenticate EVERYTHING. And the Italian government is known for going at their own pace in approving the filings.

Sorry, heinsi, you really have no idea what you are talking about (on this topic). I should have guessed it when you suggested you can get an Italian passport without having Italian citizenship. That would be a first!

I apologize for calling out your BS because I enjoy most of your posts very much.

I would suggest you let this go now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

Silenzio.  Parla il moomoo.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MURFC

• Team Captain

Yeah, obviously man...Italy falling within EU.  Meaning you have access to live/work throughout Europe.  Do I really need to explain this? 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
What if your FIRST name is Italian?

Like ENRICO?
Or ANTONIO?
SS Marquette

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'

Huge dips from 1914-1918 and again from 1939-1944