Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bulls fire Thibodeau, will Hoiberg be next coach?  (Read 24912 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Bulls fire Thibodeau, will Hoiberg be next coach?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »

In the past 20 years, the only college coaches to make the jump to the NBA and make the playoffs are PJ Carlesimo and Brad Stevens.

Both of them made the championship game in college before making the jump.  Hoiberg has never won the B12 and has one S16 appearance (last year).

Brent has a better resume than Hoiberg.  Maybe Brent should call Foreman?  JFB can vouch for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:09 PM »
Hoiberg has experience playing and working in the front office in the NBA.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »

In the past 20 years, the only college coaches to make the jump to the NBA and make the playoffs are PJ Carlesimo and Brad Stevens.

And John Calipari.  Made the playoffs once.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »
Also, you can compare the basketball background between the two fathers. I think Coffeys dad knows what he's doing. They have been really good throughout the process.

I don't know squat about Maymon's dad, but I knew Richard Coffey when he was at Minny. He was a stud college player and a real good guy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
I don't know squat about Maymon's dad, but I knew Richard Coffey when he was at Minny. He was a stud college player and a real good guy.

Yeah he's a great guy. He's really doing his research with Amir. Not one of those over bearing parents either. Seems to give his kid advice having been there done that, but ultimately letting Amir choose.

Just telling people what the talk is around town. Amir and his dad are looking for a PG opportunity. They think that is what best suits his game. Size should never matter if you can play it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 12:23:40 AM »
Both of them made the championship game in college before making the jump.  Hoiberg has never won the B12 and has one S16 appearance (last year).

Brent has a better resume than Hoiberg.  Maybe Brent should call Foreman?  JFB can vouch for him.

How many years did Brent play in the NBA? College?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »
How many years did Brent play in the NBA? College?
Exactly!! Brent has a better basketball resume than Hoiberg??????Really???? Are there any pro teams offering the Phony one about $5 mill per? No. And the Bulls are pursuing Hoiberg. Hoiberg played at a high level in college and about 7 or 8 years in the pros. He also was a VP with the Timberwolves for a couple years. The Phony One's resume is a stint at MU where by the grace of God he got a couple good runs in the dance.

Saying Brent has a better basketball resume than Hoiberg is like saying that Hillary has a better resume than Carly Fiorina. Hillary is a world class BS'er and Brent is a college basketball BS'er.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »
Hoiberg has experience playing and working in the front office in the NBA.

Hoiberg seems to translate well to the NBA. Attacking, up tempo style, though for a team as defensively oriented as Chicago he may need to adjust, or at least have a strong staff.

Recruiting never seemed to suit Hoiberg well. Rather than pounding the high school circuit, he focused on transfers that he knew could contribute. When it came to high school recruits, Abdulmassih & TJO were the ones getting it done.

Some guys are better suited for one level or the other. I really think long term, Hoiberg is a better NBA fit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
Exactly!! Brent has a better basketball resume than Hoiberg??????Really???? Are there any pro teams offering the Phony one about $5 mill per? No. And the Bulls are pursuing Hoiberg. Hoiberg played at a high level in college and about 7 or 8 years in the pros. He also was a VP with the Timberwolves for a couple years. The Phony One's resume is a stint at MU where by the grace of God he got a couple good runs in the dance.

Saying Brent has a better basketball resume than Hoiberg is like saying that Hillary has a better resume than Carly Fiorina. Hillary is a world class BS'er and Brent is a college basketball BS'er.

Eloquent man, simply eloquent, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »

I was only referring to Hoiberg's resume as a head college BB coach to Brent resume as a head college BB coach.

Hoiberg never won the B12, Brent won the BE (twice if you consider MU finished second to the now vacated winner Syracuse in another year).

Hoiberg made the S16 once (last year).  Brent made the S16, S16 and E8.

What I was trying to say is Hoiberg did nothing special as a college BB coach.  He is no different than dozens and dozens of other coaches.  It looks like the Bulls are randomly picking a college coach that accomplished nothing special and elevating him to coach a team that thinks it has all the ingredients to win the NBA championship.

How does one become an NBA coach?  Show talent promise and potential.  Or, suck up to Gar Foreman.  Apparently each works just as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:55:08 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
I was only referring to Hoiberg's resume as a head college BB coach to Brent resume as a head college BB coach.

Hoiberg never won the B12, Brent won the BE (twice if you consider MU finished second to the now vacated winner Syracuse in another year).

What I was trying to say is Hoiberg did nothing special as a college BB coach.  He is no different than dozens and dozens of other coaches.  It looks like the Bulls are randomly picking a college coach that accomplished nothing special and elevating him to coach a team that thinks it has all the ingredients to win the NBA championship.

How does one become an NBA coach?  Show talent promise and potential.  Or, suck up to Gar Foreman.  Apparently each works just as well.

That is just false.  His name has been out there for NBA gigs for a couple years now.  This isn't someone who simply "sucked up" to a GM.  His NBA experience and background, plus as brew mentions the way his teams play, has made him a coaching prospect for some years now.

Last year Golden State wanted to talk with him, and they weren't the first to do so.  (emphasis added)

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2014/10/08/fred-hoiberg-iowa-state-nba-golden-state-warriors-coach/16932621/

"The Golden State Warriors confirmed Wednesday what was widely reported, yet unverified, during the summer – that Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg had informal discussions regarding the NBA team's head coaching position.

Former Hoiberg agent Bob Myers, the Warriors' general manager, confirmed that during a teleconference with reporters on Wednesday.

"I think we got a pretty early indication from Fred that he was happy where he was," Myers said. "We weren't the first team to kind of at least put a phone call in. Mine was much more informal from our side."

Here's an article from 2013 on Hoiberg and the NBA."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--nba-teams-eye-iowa-state-s-fred-hoiberg-as-potential-head-coach-210700359.html

"Among seven GMs contacted on Sunday, there wasn't a single one who expressed skepticism about Hoiberg's ability to make an immediate leap to an NBA coaching job should he have a desire to do so.

Two GMs who expect to have openings told Yahoo! Sports that they planned to feel out Hoiberg's interest in the NBA once they begin search processes.

After 10 years as an NBA player and four more in the Minnesota Timberwolves' front office, Hoiberg has long been respected professionally and well liked personally within the NBA."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:08:28 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »

Really?? In a thread about Hoiberg going to the NBA, and "Brent should call Foremen". Yowsa. LMAO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
All right, I'll say it ... I fear he's going to be a bad hire, just like Tim Floyd. 

Apparently it is taking days and days for them to work out his contract.  If Hoiberg wanted the job, it would have been worked out this weekend and he would be announced at presser tomorrow.

I hope it falls through and the Bulls go to plan B.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
All right, I'll say it ... I fear he's going to be a bad hire, just like Tim Floyd. 

Apparently it is taking days and days for them to work out his contract.  If Hoiberg wanted the job, it would have been worked out this weekend and he would be announced at presser tomorrow.

Dude stop speculating on things you don't know.

He's been looked at for many jobs not just handed one from his buddy. He met with the Magic this week as well. Golden State and Minny last year. Possibly 1 other.

He doesn't want the job because the contract signing has been announced in a sufficient manner to your liking? Something big like this is almost always waited until the week.

And supposedly the key reason being that he's waiting til early next week when his kids are done with school.

Bulls Plan B was Gentry...gone. Plan C is their current assistant.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
Comparing Buzz and Hoiberg is silly. Honestly, my guess is Buzz is a better college coach and Hoiberg a better pro coach. Think of Hoiberg like a draft prospect. Just because a coach has tons of college success (Pitino, Calipari) doesn't guarantee NBA success, and a lack of college success doesn't prevent NBA success.

Hoiberg has shown he can manage egos and bring players together in the college equivalent of free agency. His style and game translates easily to the next level. The up tempo, attacking nature will appeal to NBA players. Could he flop? Sure, anyone could. But as Sultan noted, there's a reason Golden State, Minnesota, and others have sniffed around The Mayor in the past.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »

You might be right.  I don't really know how good he's going to be.  But just say that in the first place.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
I can't ever see Buzz wanting to coach in the NBA.  No JUCOs, no graduate managers, and certainly no West Virginia logos to dance on at center court.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »

I don't think there is any question that Buzz has accomplished more as a college head coach than Hoiberg has. It really isn't all that close, frankly, especially if one uses postseason success as a barometer.

But I still don't think there's anything "random" about the Bulls hiring him. His name has been out there for a couple of years. He was a decent NBA player, including for their team. He worked in NBA front offices. Any intelligent employee -- no matter the profession -- makes connections, builds relationships, etc. Hoiberg no doubt impressed some people in BullyLand, including most likely Reinsdorf and Paxson.

It actually is very easy to see why the Bulls would want to hire him and, again, there is ZERO random about it.

Now, will he be a good NBA coach? That nobody can know until he does it for a couple years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
Hoiberg's demeanor seems much more Brad Stevens than John Callipari. Offensive system not so much though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 06:35:45 AM »

Eloquent man, simply eloquent, hey?

At 6:30 am, nothing says "Wake up and smell the coffee" like an over the top hate spewing post from the Wee Willie.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »

Apparently it is taking days and days for them to work out his contract.  If Hoiberg wanted the job, it would have been worked out this weekend and he would be announced at presser tomorrow.

IMO, it's difficult to evaluate Tim Floyd based on his Bull's experience.  People forget that Floyd came on board in Chicago just after the roster was gutted.  With the roster he was given, he was coaching the equivalent of an expansion team.

Krause had let the talent go, so he could put together enough cash to offer two maximum contract deals to free agents.  Then he wiffed in free agency.  The biggest miss was Tracy McGrady.  And Floyd was left hanging out to dry.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:54:32 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
I've never understood the Hoiberg hype. Little to no postseason success, always towards the top but never at the top of his conference, relies on other coaches to do his player development for him, and his players in the papers for the wrong reasons on a consistent basis.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »
I've never understood the Hoiberg hype. Little to no postseason success, always towards the top but never at the top of his conference, relies on other coaches to do his player development for him, and his players in the papers for the wrong reasons on a consistent basis.

I would counter...it's Iowa State.  Not an easy place to win.

But I do think that Hoiberg isn't a slam dunk, for sure success.  However he has a strong reputation in NBA circles as an up and coming coach.  That doesn't work out for everyone however.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
Hoiberg is a far better coach than Buzz.

No NBA GM is looking at Hoiberg and saying "Well, he got knocked out early in the tournament." It's a crapshoot, like we know. A NBA GM is looking a system, adjustments, culture and tactics.

feedback