'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jordan McCabe  (Read 27337 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: Jordan McCabe
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
I bet while spinning the ball on one finger, he can switch hands between his legs.

I'll get bullish on his college prospects when he becomes known for being dangerous setting up his teammates.
He does run a very nice pick and roll with capable bigs. Most of the passes are one-handed or no-look, so they look spectacular. I've seen ball pressure from a longer wing type change that, but again, most of the time he is playing against inferior to highly inferior defenders (in HS and AAU pool play). In AAU, the real proof is on Sundays. Once they hit the final eight/four in brackets, there is nowhere to hide. Everyone on the team knows that McCabe is the focus. They all sign up knowing that. I know four of the other players and their families. While they don't necessarily love that McCabe is the focus, they know he has the hype. They know they will be getting increased exposure because of him. That's why they are on this team.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
If everybody knows this to be true,why do schools like Missouri,Mich St,Wisconsin and MU have all this contact with him?
Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on more taller,quicker players?Seems like a waste of time to have a kid on campus that you have no intention of signing.Either people are missing something or the coaching staffs are.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:07 PM »
If everybody knows this to be true,why do schools like Missouri,Mich St,Wisconsin and MU have all this contact with him?
Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on more taller,quicker players?Seems like a waste of time to have a kid on campus that you have no intention of signing.Either people are missing something or the coaching staffs are.

A waste of time to let a kid pay to walk around your campus and check it out? He's a freshman. Nobody else can pay for his visits. If he wants to come you don't say hey enjoy walking around the campus by yourself if for no other reason than to keep teammates, AAU coaches, and high school coaches in your good graces. Not to mention he's 3 years from college. He theoretically could shoot up to 7' tall.

Never burn bridges unnecessarily. It takes all of 20 minutes to show a kid around Marquette and it's the off season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »

An entirely valid question which wadesworld answered nicely.  It's early for colleges to spend a lot of time scouting a guy whose in the class of 2018.  It's kind of unsettling to realize that he's going to be a 20 year old before his freshman college season starts.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:42:33 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »
There's no downside to getting in early on someone in your backyard that was only a freshman this year. He's obviously got some very valuable skills but it will be interesting to see how much he grows and rounds out his game.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
Gimme Tre Jones instead.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
An entirely valid question which wadesworld answered nicely.  It's early for colleges to spend a lot of time scouting a guy whose in the class of 2018.  It's kind of unsettling to realize that he's going to be a 20 year old before his freshman college season starts.

Wasn't Diener way old for his class too?

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »
Wasn't Diener way old for his class too?

Correct, all the Diener boys were "home schooled" their true freshman year and then re-enrolled at Fond Du Lac High School for a 2nd Freshman year.  That did not seem really harm their ability to play at the D1 level.  

McCabe right now is not nearly the shooter that Diener was, but he has better handles and is a better passer.  Both played about the same style of defense when they were Freshman, as in they did not seem that interested in it.  Travis and Drake never passed the ball because their offense was designed to have 3 people setting screens and the two of them would run off them for open looks.  I am not saying that McCabe is as good as Diener, but to dismiss a kid and say he is only a D3 talent after his Freshman year is just ridiculous.  He is a D1 caliber talent and that is why you are seeing some very successful programs already starting to get in on him.  I would welcome him to MU in a heartbeat assuming he continues to develop his game and add some strength.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:36:05 AM by NWarsh »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Correct, all the Diener boys were "home schooled" their true freshman year and then re-enrolled at Fond Du Lac High School for a 2nd Freshman year.  That did not seem really harm their ability to play at the D1 level.  

McCabe right now is not nearly the shooter that Diener was, but he has better handles and is a better passer.  Both played about the same style of defense when they were Freshman, as in they did not seem that interested in it.  Travis and Drake never passed the ball because their offense was designed to have 3 people setting screens and the two of them would run off them for open looks.  I am not saying that McCabe is as good as Diener, but to dismiss a kid and say he is only a D3 talent after his Freshman year is just ridiculous.  He is a D1 caliber talent and that is why you are seeing some very successful programs already starting to get in on him.  I would welcome him to MU in a heartbeat assuming he continues to develop his game and add some strength.

I agree McCabe will be a D1 caliber guy, but I don't think that MU (or Mich St) will be there when his recruitment gets serious.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
Missouri offered today on visit

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 04:59:17 PM »

Cool for the kid. Congrats to him. But I would rather have him at that MU than our own.

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 07:04:13 PM »
Jordan and Travis are very different. Travis didn't weigh 100lbs until the late summer before his Fresh year at FDL. He was tiny and looked about 10 years old. He was able to start on a state tourney team because he never made a bad decision. At one point he had a 20/1 asst/to ratio. Jordan is much more mature physically and much more of a showman. While Jordan may put a bit more flair in his passes he has nothing on Travis at a similar age. As far as handle goes, Jordan can do it all but I don't know if Travis was ever stripped as a high school player. Also for the guy that said Travis and Drake never passed the ball...he led the FVA in assists and scoring. I am happy for Jordan for the offer but lets see how he evolves. Diener improved every year. I remember telling Jay Bilas after his  Soph year at MU that he would play in the NBA. He laughed at me...I told him he didn't understand his work ethic.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

Mizzou is D1, not D3 right? And some might even consider an actual high major.
JM will have 20+ high major offers before all said and done whether people like him or his game or not.
JM was the catalyst that single handedly beat Henry and Rice Lake.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:33:06 PM by We R Final Four »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
Mizzou is D1, not D3 right? And some might even consider an actual high major.
JM will have 20+ high major offers before all said and done whether people like him or his game or not.
JM was the catalyst that almost single handily beat Henry and Rice Lake.

That doesn't take much.  Tosa West beat Rice Lake.  Tosa West was 3-7 in the Woodland Conference.  Rice Lake is literally horrible beyond Hank.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
Same could be said for Kaukauna.

Point is JM was the one who won that game of two teams that each had one star on it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »
Same could be said for Kaukauna.

Point is JM was the one who won that game of two teams that each had one star on it.

Kaukauna has a ton more capable players beyond McCabe, you just don't see it because only one player touches the ball.  Rice Lake has Hank, who passes it to wide open point and shooting guards, who airball routine 3 pointers.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
Kaukauna has a ton more capable players beyond McCabe, you just don't see it because only one player touches the ball.  Rice Lake has Hank, who passes it to wide open point and shooting guards, who airball routine 3 pointers.

Agree on Rice Lake. Disagree on Kaukauna.
The 'capable' players were fed lay ups because JM drew double teams or drew the defender when he blew past his defender. The ton more capable players? I guess if by capable you mean let JM draw the double and when he passes the rock to you make your layup, then I'm with you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
I remember telling Jay Bilas after his  Soph year at MU that he would play in the NBA. He laughed at me.

Jay was too tied up in being Josh Gasser's future agent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »
This made me laugh out loud. Well done.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
Birthday fun facts:

On Sept 1, 2015 Jordan McCabe will be a 17 yr old HS sophomore.

On Sept 19, 2015 Sacar Anim will be an 18 yr old college freshmen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
Birthday fun facts:

On Sept 1, 2015 Jordan McCabe will be a 17 yr old HS sophomore.

On Sept 19, 2015 Sacar Anim will be an 18 yr old college freshmen.

Wow, I knew McCabe was old for his class, but that's crazy. So he'll be 20 as a college freshman. It will be interesting to see how advanced he looks when everyone catches up in terms of physical development.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
Wow, I knew McCabe was old for his class, but that's crazy. So he'll be 20 as a college freshman. It will be interesting to see how advanced he looks when everyone catches up in terms of physical development.

Exactly.  Which is why I don't put much stock in McCabe making the top 20 game at the sophomore camp.  McCabe would be    old for a HS JR so of course he's going to dominate kids 1-2 years younger.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
So when he is playing high major D1 ball as a freshmen will you say "yeah, but he's 20 years old"?
When he's starting as a college sophomore will you say "yeah, but he's 21"? And so on.
He is old for his class, we get it--you've mentioned it several times in this thread. We get you don't like him and should take a pass.
There is no asterisk next to his name for how old he is.
 Mizzou has offered and others will soon follow........even though he is old for his class.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
So when he is playing high major D1 ball as a freshmen will you say "yeah, but he's 20 years old"?
When he's starting as a college sophomore will you say "yeah, but he's 21"? And so on.
He is old for his class, we get it--you've mentioned it several times in this thread. We get you don't like him and should take a pass.
 Mizzou has offered and others will soon follow........even though he is old for his class.

As a 20 year old freshman, he will be playing against mostly 19, 20, and 21 year olds that have years of college conditioning. The age difference will be negated as will the physical disparity. Might he still be a standout? Possibly. But there are factors working against that.

First, right now he's well into puberty while most of the opposition are just starting their growth spurts. Not only is there a bigger physical difference between an average 16 and 14 year old than he'll see as a freshman, but he'll also go from being ahead of the curve physically to bring behind the curve due to everyone else having years of higher level conditioning and training (just look at Cohen's growth thanks to a college training program).

Second, his style of play isn't the type that tends to translate going up levels. McCabe has a great handle and flash, but how often do flashy mixtapes belie kids that don't have the same next level dominance (Juan comes to mind)? As defenses get better, the flash and tricks come up short as players who are more technically sound are more likely to continue being able to display the same skills.

Maybe he'll end up being a great college player. Maybe he'll continue to dominate regardless of age level. But it's definitely a situation where a healthy dose of skepticism is certainly fair.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »

I just question his upside.  Is he done growing at 5-10?  Does he shoot up to 6-2?  Will his game translate to the college level against bigger and better athletes?  Will he fit into a college system that isn't centered around him being the star like HS and AAU seem to be?

McCabe will definitely get a D-1 scholarship somewhere. Time will tell what kind of career he has.  I just sense an early bloomer in this case.  I could be wrong but that is my opinion.  I think I've made my point about the age thing so I'll stop hammering away at it.

feedback