Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Twenty-two years the ‘Golden Eagles’  (Read 15503 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Twenty-two years the ‘Golden Eagles’
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
Al was a Warrior

Thompson, Meminger, Brell, Lackey, Lucas, Chones, McNeill, Washington, Walton, Ellis, Lee, Toone, Payne, Rivers, Whitehead were all Warriors.

We won the 1977 NCAA Championship as Warriors (no matter how much the PC crowd wants to think otherwise).

We were National Runner-ups in 1974 as Warriors.

We won the 1970 NIT (when it meant something) as Warriors.

Father DiUllio can changed it to Golden Eagles.

We can call ourselves, Eagles, Gold, Ghetto Dwellers, Hilltoppers, PC Birds or whatever we want.

But I aint no Golden Eagle. And I aint a furry bird or a Gold.

I AM A WARRIOR!!! And damn proud of it and what we stood for.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 01:33:04 AM »
Henry Ellenson's high school team -- the Rice Lake Warriors. How about that!

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2015, 01:37:58 AM »
It has now been 22 years since Marquette changed its team nickname and mascot to “Golden Eagles.” How ’bout we ALL live in the present and drop ALL of the repeated, grating and childish references to “Warriors?”

Let’s all try showing our Marquette pride by referring to the Golden Eagles as “Golden Eagles.”

Agreed?

Great!

It has been years and years now since the US dollar was actually backed by something, and the administration changed the name from "Full Faith and Credit" to the inspirational "Quantitative Easing 5". Let's all give a Golden rah-rah (pun intended) for rampant money printing and dollar devaluation. It's high time we all show our American pride by referring to these dollars as, uh, "near non-reserve status paper."......Agreed?

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? That's b/c it IS..now STFU!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2015, 04:51:03 AM »
I graduated a Golden Eagle. Proud of the name. Still wish I could have graduated a Warrior. I like to think there is a happy medium.

Oh and I definitely agree with Eldon. Much prefer the regal Eagle to the cartoony one we have now
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »
Well...safe to say the Warriors name may have fared better in the meme tournament had this thread been made a week ago. Hoopaloop really dodged a bullet.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »
Well...safe to say the Warriors name may have fared better in the meme tournament had this thread been made a week ago. Hoopaloop really dodged a bullet.

"Twenty-two years" for next year's watch list!

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
imagine if the Chicago Cubs organization sold the renaming rights to Wrigley Field.

Maybe it would be known as Ask Angie's Park.  Just a guess here, but the new name may not be accepted by all.  Some would even have the gall to still refer to it as Wrigley, which one may argue, hurts the Cubs new brand by referring to the old relic of a name.

After time has passed, one may even post that the days of using Wrigley should be over.  That fights been lost.   It's the "Big Ang".  Accept it.  Embrace it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:13:21 AM by oldwarrior81 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
The idea that I will ever refer to my alma mater as the "Golden Eagles" is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:21:26 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2015, 08:19:09 AM »
I'm fine with it.  Just that we seem to be more of the nothings, unless using a lame logo on kid's t-shirts.  If they actually used the name, maybe it would get somewhere.  Hiding it in shame is even worse than forcing it on people.  Take the name and own it.  Not like there are ten other high level schools with the same name like Wildcats or Bulldogs, just three forgettable ones.  And just use an image instead of a cartoon logo to actually show the beast. 

They did that for many years.  It was ignored and ridiculed and lead to the Gold-related disaster and the bumblef*ck that followed.  Eventually they may bring back Golden Eagles in a more prominent way, but now they are just laying low.  That is a good thing.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
I'm fine with it.  Just that we seem to be more of the nothings, unless using a lame logo on kid's t-shirts.  If they actually used the name, maybe it would get somewhere.  Hiding it in shame is even worse than forcing it on people.  Take the name and own it.  Not like there are ten other high level schools with the same name like Wildcats or Bulldogs, just three forgettable ones.  And just use an image instead of a cartoon logo to actually show the beast. 

Yeah--that cartoon logo and cartoon Golden Eagle mascot will anger the Jihadists because they are disrespectful and offensive. MU deserves what they get if they keep offending like that. They have no right to be disrespect the Jihadist Eagle purists.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
Marquette Warriors - replace the chicken with a fleur-de-lis.

Name Joan of Arc Occupation Warrior, Military Leader Birth Date c. 1412 Death Date May 30, 1431   Place of Birth Domremy, France Place of Death Rouen, France AKA St Joan of Arc Joan of Arc Name Saint Joan of Arc Jeanne d'Arc 

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
The idea that I will ever refer to my alma mater as the "Golden Eagles" is ridiculous.

Amen, bro. That's all I was trying to convey with that name change/ dollar devaluation analogy. They've taken something that was pure, "wholesome" as Al liked to say, and watered it down, cheapened it, and made it harder to rally around. And now someone is telling me I'm supposed to embrace it?

Balrogs

• Walk-On
Re: Not gonna win this one?
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Went to MU from 98-03 and then again to 05.  The idea that the University ran a legitimate program around the nickname is laughable.  I went to one of the "Gold" open sessions and pointed out to Father Wild that if they were so concerned about the nickname Warriors that they need to change our Seal.  It could be interpreted as Father Marquette telling that poor Indian which way to row the canoe.  Got some lame political response because he couldn't really defend the difference between the two.  Thought they were setting a terrible precedent that if anyone is offended, then they would need to wipe out the history of the University.

Also, if the Jesuits are so worried about the nickname, then they need to get down to St. Louis and have their brethren cleanup their own house.  Having an idol as a mascot (the Bilikin) seems like a more grievous issue than allowing the University to have any reference to "war" in their nickname.

They had a prime opportunity to unite the University around Warriors using St. Joan of Arc as our mascot. What a nod to the feminists and diversity worriers that would have been.  You would have everyone happy all at once.

Kinda sad and pathetic how they ran the whole campaign from start to end.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.  Hard to support an institution that disregards major swaths of its alumni.

If you need to make this about winning or losing, I guess I have won. The nickname is "Golden Eagles." Check your program.

Questions for those here who are so argumentative and defensive on this topic: You all went to Marquette? When? And why so unwilling to consider other viewpoints?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
Marquette Warriors - replace the chicken with a fleur-de-lis.

Name Joan of Arc Occupation Warrior, Military Leader Birth Date c. 1412 Death Date May 30, 1431   Place of Birth Domremy, France Place of Death Rouen, France AKA St Joan of Arc Joan of Arc Name Saint Joan of Arc Jeanne d'Arc 

Fleur-de-Lis???

Q. Why did the French plant trees along the Champs Elysees? 
A. So the Germans could march in the shade.

Q: How can you identify a French Infantryman?
A: Sunburned armpits.

Q: How many gears does a French tank have?
A: 4 reverse and 1 forward, in case the Germans attack from the rear.

French Army rifle for sale. Never fired. Only dropped once.

Q: What do you call a Frenchman advancing on Baghdad?
A: A salesman

Q: Why is good to be French?
A: You can surrender at the beginning of the war, and let the US win it for you.

Q: What does the new French flag look like?
A: A white Fleur-de-Lis emblazoned on a white background!

Q: Why do the French never perform “the wave” at a soccer game?
A: Because, that’s a gesture reserved for use only in time of war.

Q: What does “Maginot Line” mean in French?
A: “Speed bump”

Q: How do you get a French waiter's attention?
A: Start ordering in German.

The French have only one actual fighting war hero, Joan of Arc, and they turned her over to the enemy!

A man asks his buddy, "What's the most common French expression"? The friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »
^These French jokes are funny and all, but without France, the Queen is on the $1 (cf. Canada)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
Mother's Day brunch at a German restaurant this AM (Affäre - not bad by KC standards).  8 year old wanted to order French Toast, I convinced him they call it Victory Bread in German restaurants.......waitress didn't get it :-[

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
Also, if the Jesuits are so worried about the nickname, then they need to get down to St. Louis and have their brethren cleanup their own house.  Having an idol as a mascot (the Bilikin) seems like a more grievous issue than allowing the University to have any reference to "war" in their nickname.

Nothing to do with war references. Everything to do with 4ever's avatar and Willie Warrior's namesake
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
Went to MU from 98-03 and then again to 05.  The idea that the University ran a legitimate program around the nickname is laughable.  I went to one of the "Gold" open sessions and pointed out to Father Wild that if they were so concerned about the nickname Warriors that they need to change our Seal.  It could be interpreted as Father Marquette telling that poor Indian which way to row the canoe.  Got some lame political response because he couldn't really defend the difference between the two.  Thought they were setting a terrible precedent that if anyone is offended, then they would need to wipe out the history of the University.

They had a prime opportunity to unite the University around Warriors using St. Joan of Arc as our mascot. What a nod to the feminists and diversity worriers that would have been.  You would have everyone happy all at once.

Kinda sad and pathetic how they ran the whole campaign from start to end.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.  Hard to support an institution that disregards major swaths of its alumni.

as a former student worker at the MU telethon, I'll say that nearly all lame "hard to support a univeristy that [insert something about the nickname] donated at most $25 at any time. All donations count, but the largest complainers were those who would make the least difference. Just say you don't like supporting your alma mater and take responsibility for your own choices.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
Thanks, MU Avenue.  So, so much.

Bring Ners back and ban MU Avenue! No teal needed.

The PC crowd can stick it up where the sun don't shine.

Shame on you and me, it's Mother's Day weekend!

Go Warriors.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Maybe get the guys who did the Bucks logo re-design to see what they can come up with for MU?

Balrogs

• Walk-On
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
I remember that any name having any reference to "war" struck off the eligibility list.  My memory is foggy, but I remember the explanation was that war did not align with Jesuit values.  I remember several folks advocating for "War Eagles" to blend the two. 

Nothing to do with war references. Everything to do with 4ever's avatar and Willie Warrior's namesake

Balrogs

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »
In general, why do you think folks that feel slapped in the face are going to be the ones to come through with more sizable contributions?  When an organization tells me that my opinion isn't worth consideration, I'm super motivated to donate to them.  For instance, I donate to political leaders that disrespect me all the time and in larger amounts the more disregard they have for me.

That's why I brought up the process issue because I think that many felt slighted by the process - both times from some of my discussion with older alumni.  I think that if the board & administration had handled it better, there would be less issue with it going forward.  I think that the Warrior group just wants the name and would be more than happy to separate it from the previous mascot.  But to say that's an impossibility is just nonsense.

as a former student worker at the MU telethon, I'll say that nearly all lame "hard to support a univeristy that [insert something about the nickname] donated at most $25 at any time. All donations count, but the largest complainers were those who would make the least difference. Just say you don't like supporting your alma mater and take responsibility for your own choices.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »

People who choose to contribute less because of the nickname debacle - and who tell you so - are taking responsibility for their choices.  Pretty simple concept.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »
Maybe get the guys who did the Bucks logo re-design to see what they can come up with for MU?

No thanks. It looks like it was made in Microsoft Paint.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2015, 02:36:16 AM »
Mother's Day brunch at a German restaurant this AM (Affäre - not bad by KC standards).  8 year old wanted to order French Toast, I convinced him they call it Victory Bread in German restaurants.......waitress didn't get it :-[

At the Hurlburt Field Commissary they had a coffee bean dispenser. For years, people kept covering the "French" in French Roast with tape saying "Victory" or "Freedom." This went on unabated week after week and was a fixture in the AFB food shopping experience.

One time at McChord I saw the sales rep replacing the signage for French Roast so I asked her about the whole thing. She said she thought it was funny but the company didn't think so as it was happening in every AAFES commissary in the world. I asked her to suggest that the company change the name from "French" to either "Freedom" or "Victory" which she thought was a great idea. They never did, of course. Chicken sh1ts.

Death on call