[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 15-16 thoughts  (Read 27437 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 15-16 thoughts
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »

They are comparable in that not playing for a new coach probably should be taken with a grain of salt.  I know that Wally isn't as good as Deonte, but between one injury year and one year with a new coach, I wouldn't doubt that he is better than you are giving him credit for.  He is pretty much an unknown.

While of course I'd love to be wrong about Wally because if he turns out to be good then we could have a really nice year. Since I am already more optimistic than most about next year even if I'm pessimistic about Wally.

That said I don't think I am selling him short, I just think most are too high on a guy whose proven nothing. I like him being on our team, I just think he's a role guy Juan style pre senior year just hopefully not nearly as frustrating.

But I keep seeing people picking him to be the starter at the 3(as of now) and 4 back up(as of now). But truth is he is not better than JJJ or even Sandy and would be abused guarding a 4.

All I'm saying. People shouldn't expect more than 5-6 PPG.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
Wally looked good in the madness scrimmage, but maybe that was a good indication of how bad last year's team was going to be. Wally could over all be better than Burton. He probably cannot score like Burton can, but Burton could not play defense. My prediction is that Wojo thinks it is a good idea to start Wally and Henry gets mad and transfers at mid-season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
I'm not looking at his stats. I haven't missed a gopher game in years(unless it's on the same time as MU, then the gophers get only during commercial treatment).

I have watched the kid play far more than you have. He's biggest issue was he couldn't guard me.

Watched him play what? He was injured his first year and written off by his coach the second year. He hasn't been given an opportunity yet. I don't think he's going to be a starter, but I think he will be a solid part of the rotation. I have heard very good things have been happening in the Al this season.

We're going to play him at the 4? Literally zero chance.

Wally is our fourth largest player. When Luke, Matt, and Henry are all worn out or in foul trouble, who are you going to put in the game? You can't expect three players to hold down two positions for an entire season. Our only options are Sandy and Wally and I would rather have Wally there than Sandy. Hell, I'd rather have Wally at the 4 than Matt at this point. Now I do think we will recruit some sort of big forward who will play the four over Wally. But as the roster stands now, he's the backup 4.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »
Watched him play what? He was injured his first year and written off by his coach the second year. He hasn't been given an opportunity yet. I don't think he's going to be a starter, but I think he will be a solid part of the rotation. I have heard very good things have been happening in the Al this season.

Wally is our fourth largest player. When Luke, Matt, and Henry are all worn out or in foul trouble, who are you going to put in the game? You can't expect three players to hold down two positions for an entire season. Our only options are Sandy and Wally and I would rather have Wally there than Sandy. Hell, I'd rather have Wally at the 4 than Matt at this point. Now I do think we will recruit some sort of big forward who will play the four over Wally. But as the roster stands now, he's the backup 4.

Dude I don't know how much more simply I can tell you this. He would get eaten alive guarding 4s. The reason TWO coaches wouldn't let him on the floor is because he wouldn't defend. You try to say how little he actually played as if it means I didn't watch him enough. Actually it supports my point. I say him play, he wasn't good. It was only limited however because he wasn't good.

Thank lord we will have a fuller roster next year with plenty of options so Wallys PT will more than likely be earned. Because as of right now it appears Wally will be this years version of defend him at all costs.

Nobody has seen this kid play in any games unless it's with the gophers. It's far more outrageous to say he's going to be a good player and pick up minutes at the 4 than to say no at this point.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
Dude I don't know how much more simply I can tell you this. He would get eaten alive guarding 4s. The reason TWO coaches wouldn't let him on the floor is because he wouldn't defend. You try to say how little he actually played as if it means I didn't watch him enough. Actually it supports my point. I say him play, he wasn't good. It was only limited however because he wasn't good.

Did you read TAMU and other's posts?  Who else on the current roster would play the 4 to spell Henry?  I know I sure wouldn't want Sandy there.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Did you read TAMU and other's posts?  Who else on the current roster would play the 4 to spell Henry?  I know I sure wouldn't want Sandy there.

O dear lord.

I REALIZE that. Did you not read mine? I'm saying we are screwed if Wally plays the 4 because he simply CANNOT guard a 4. So, wojo will absolutely find someone who can back it up because we will be quite literally screwed rolling with Wally/Sandy as 4
Back ups if Henry ever gets in foul trouble.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »
O dear lord.

I REALIZE that. Did you not read mine? I'm saying we are screwed if Wally plays the 4 because he simply CANNOT guard a 4. So, wojo will absolutely find someone who can back it up because we will be quite literally screwed rolling with Wally/Sandy as 4

You can play Heldt and Fisher together if Henry gets in foul trouble.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
O dear lord.

You're exact quote was
We're going to play him at the 4? Literally zero chance.

But unless we get a stud forward, there is a 100% chance that he will be played at the 4. I'm optimistic, but I am also tracking every grad transfer for PT. There is only about 20 graduate transfers that I would consider worthy of a Marquette scholarship. Of those 20, only 8 are post players.
TAMU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »

Nobody has seen this kid play in any games unless it's with the gophers. It's far more outrageous to say he's going to be a good player and pick up minutes at the 4 than to say no at this point.

Since you have seen him play and some of us have not what are your thoughts on:

1) Do you feel there is room for Wally to improve his defense with Wojo or has his ceiling been reached?

2) Do you feel as strongly about his offense and rebounding or does he have a substantial room for     improvement?

If its been a while that you have seen him play maybe it should be considered in your answers.

Anyways thanks for your input!

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

Since you have seen him play and some of us have not what are your thoughts on:

1) Do you feel there is room for Wally to improve his defense with Wojo or has his ceiling been reached?

2) Do you feel as strongly about his offense and rebounding or does he have a substantial room for     improvement?

If its been a while that you have seen him play maybe it should be considered in your answers.

Anyways thanks for your input!

1. Well considering Wojo hasn't really proven himself as a defensive coach it's hard to say yes or no on that part. Maybe in a zone?

But with time off and getting stronger I definitely think his D could be improved with his athleticism but that would be against 2s/3s. I'm just saying people get all over JJJs D and based off what I've seen from Wally and how I've heard he was in gopher practices. JJJ is no worse if not better Because of his steals ability.

2. He couldn't shoot a lick but obviously again that could improve. He natural athleticism and jumping ability that will help him in transition and getting rebounds though so definitely an asset there.

Basically all I'm sayig is people are too hyped about a junior who hasn't proven anything. He's literally JJJ but with better jumping and worse defensive instincts. And JJJ is the more gifted scorer/more proven.

The kid should and will play. But expectations should be minimal.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
Guy hasn't even played 1 minute for Marquette yet and we're already throwing dudes under the bus. Just chill.

Also, the overuse of the word "literally" here is figuratively nauseating.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
1. Well considering Wojo hasn't really proven himself as a defensive coach it's hard to say yes or no on that part. Maybe in a zone?

But with time off and getting stronger I definitely think his D could be improved with his athleticism but that would be against 2s/3s. I'm just saying people get all over JJJs D and based off what I've seen from Wally and how I've heard he was in gopher practices. JJJ is no worse if not better Because of his steals ability.

2. He couldn't shoot a lick but obviously again that could improve. He natural athleticism and jumping ability that will help him in transition and getting rebounds though so definitely an asset there.

Basically all I'm sayig is people are too hyped about a junior who hasn't proven anything. He's literally JJJ but with better jumping and worse defensive instincts. And JJJ is the more gifted scorer/more proven.

The kid should and will play. But expectations should be minimal.

Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Guy hasn't even played 1 minute for Marquette yet and we're already throwing dudes under the bus. Just chill.

Also, the overuse of the word "literally" here is figuratively nauseating.

And that's my point. Try and keep up. Not asking a lot.

Guy hasn't played a single minute and some are penciling him in as a starter. When he couldn't play for a far worse program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »

Guy hasn't played a single minute and some are penciling him in as a starter. When he couldn't play for a far worse program.

Who? Who has him penciled in as a starter? The most I have heard is "could compete for starters minutes"
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »
O dear lord.

At this point we do not even know, if Henry can guard a 4.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
At this point we do not even know, if Henry can guard a 4.

Uhhh, yes we do.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
15-16 thoughts

As long as that's not our final record.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »

No one in this thread has called him a starter. The only person who has mentioned him starting is you. Try and keep up.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
No one in this thread has called him a starter. The only person who has mentioned him starting is you. Try and keep up.

I have kept up. You and your 15 posts are just jumping in when convenient.

For the last few months on here and scout people have been talking about JJJ and Sandy with how badly they need to improve but then talk about Wally as someone who is going to come right in an contribute.

It's simply wrong. I know your brain probably doesn't function at full capacity to know why it's wrong, but at least try.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

For the last few months on here and scout people have been talking about JJJ and Sandy with how badly they need to improve but then talk about Wally as someone who is going to come right in an contribute.

It's simply wrong. I know your brain probably doesn't function at full capacity to know why it's wrong, but at least try.

Saying Wally coming in and contributing is not the same thing as saying Wally is going to start. Wally is going to contribute. He will be in the rotation and maybe even compete for the starter's spot unless we find someone who is immediately available.
TAMU

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree, but maybe find those posts and people and unleash your rage on them?

In this thread, expectations seem to be pretty realistic.

I think he could be Juan Anderson. I don't think that's setting the bar super high, but certainly a player like that has value, especially if it can be in limited doses.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Wally will surprise many people next year, for the good too. Ive had the opportunity to watch the team practice a few times and Wally looks REALLY good.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree, but maybe find those posts and people and unleash your rage on them?

In this thread, expectations seem to be pretty realistic.

I think he could be Juan Anderson. I don't think that's setting the bar super high, but certainly a player like that has value, especially if it can be in limited doses.

And yeah that is what I've been saying. Expect Wally as a Juan Anderson of junior year variety.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
And yeah that is what I've been saying. Expect Wally as a Juan Anderson of junior year variety.

If Wally turns out to be Juan Anderson 2.0, and Wojo can use him sporadically and somewhat strategically, then that is a pretty useful player for 2 seasons... especially if Wally can be versatile and play a couple different positions.

feedback