[Today at 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan's Final Game?  (Read 17565 times)

muballbuster

• Walk-On
Bo Ryan's Final Game?
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
What are the chances that Bo will retire if he wins tonight?  Al did it after winning the big one.  Also with them losing Gasser, Frank, Dukan, TJ, and possibly Sam and maybe even Hayes they will not have much coming back. 

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Re: Bo Ryan's Final Game?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
I think people that are high-level coaches are similar to people that want to be president. There's just something wrong with them.

If he was an ordinary 67-year-old that had just reached the apex of his career, I'd say 99% he retires. But, since he's a coach, I'd say no way.  He'll stay until he's 70.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »
Al announced his retirement long before the championship game. Bo will never have another team this good. He likely won't recruit another McDonald's All American level player like Dekker, won't find a three star NPOY like Frank, and won't have many more NBA players like Hayes. Certainly not at the same time.

But who knows? Maybe he likes coaching and wants to prove he can rebuild after those guys leave. I'd say 50/50 win or lose.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:05:22 AM »
No idea. But if I have to suffer through a Badger championship, I hope he does. Then we can watch Dekker and Hayes both declare for the draft, half his incoming recruiting class decommit, see one or two players transfer, and see Wisconsin stumble out of the tournament for the first time in years. It would bring me some solace.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:14:55 AM »
Probably wishful thinking. I'm not sure the reaction of an epic blowhard to being in the national spotlight is going to be, "Yep, I'm done with this."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »
Not happenin'. He's livin' da dream.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
yep, he's gone.  No way he can come close to this ever again, and certainly not in the next 2-3 years.
Greg Gard.... anyone, anyone?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
yep, he's gone.  No way he can come close to this ever again, and certainly not in the next 2-3 years.

I know that sports fans like the romanticism of the "going out on top" idea, but we don't know what's going on in Bo's head.  If the guy likes coaching, and wants to continue doing it, he should keep doing it regardless if he is ever going to have a team better than this one.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
Can you see if getting a TV gig job broadcasting college basketball?  If so, I can see him taking that job and leaving.  The point is he is not going to retire to Florida (Del Boca Vista!) and do nothing.  But he might walk to do something less stressful but also "fun" for him.

Maybe FS1 hires him and he does MU games!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »
Can you see if getting a TV gig job broadcasting college basketball?  If so, I can see him taking that job and leaving.  The point is he is not going to retire to Florida (Del Boca Vista!) and do nothing.  But he might walk to do something less stressful but also "fun" for him.

Maybe FS1 hires him and he does MU games!!

Funny you say he's not going to retire to Florida.  What I heard is he already has his place ready to go in Naples.

Still won't believe it until I see it, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
Unfortunately he probably stays. He has a great job and looks like having fun. IMO he stays 3-5 years longer.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »
I think Bo still has 5 good years left in him. If he were 73, this would probably be it. But win or lose, we will have to suffer at least a few more years of him I suspect.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:11:20 AM »
Wishful thinking

wrmrkt

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »
What are the chances that Bo will retire if he wins tonight?  Al did it after winning the big one.  Also with them losing Gasser, Frank, Dukan, TJ, and possibly Sam and maybe even Hayes they will not have much coming back. 

Really think Dekker is back after his tourney run?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
He'll probably stay.  Should go, as he really is starting to show his age in comparison to most of the coaches over age 65. As others say, this year is the ultimate combination of players.  Whether or not Dekker goes, and he really should from a pro career standpoint, the Badgers are going to be nowhere near this year and last year without Kaminsky and Gasser and Jackson (and, even Dukan who gives length and 3 point shooting off the bench ).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
Funny you say he's not going to retire to Florida.  What I heard is he already has his place ready to go in Naples.

Still won't believe it until I see it, though.

When does he get to go to Florida?  Certainly not between October and March.  And if you don't go then, why bother going to Florida at all?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »

Really think Dekker is back after his tourney run?

Dekker is definitely gone. No question about that. I'd put Hayes probably at about 50/50.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »
Dekker is definitely gone. No question about that. I'd put Hayes probably at about 50/50.

Hayes is coming back

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
Ryan is not retiring. He enjoys teaching the game.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
Wishful thinking

This and wild, unfounded speculation, that's what this thread is all about. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Hayes is coming back

It's already been reported that Hayes is looking into his draft stock. He may come back, but that is a pretty good sign he doesn't really want to.

http://dairylandexpress.com/2015/03/05/report-wisconsin-badgers-nigel-hayes-exploring-draft-prospects/

My guess is if he gets a solid first-round grade, he's probably gone.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »
It's already been reported that Hayes is looking into his draft stock. He may come back, but that is a pretty good sign he doesn't really want to.

http://dairylandexpress.com/2015/03/05/report-wisconsin-badgers-nigel-hayes-exploring-draft-prospects/

My guess is if he gets a solid first-round grade, he's probably gone.

he should if he does

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
If we're going to speculate on 67-year-old Bo, why not speculate on 68-year-old Coach K?  Yes, we've heard the comments about him coaching another five years, but those comments never came after a national title.  While Duke just reloads, he has three projected first round picks on the roster right now.  Given Coach Brey's great year, I tend to think a Coach K retirement this year would be positive for MU fans. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
If we're going to speculate on 67-year-old Bo, why not speculate on 68-year-old Coach K?  Yes, we've heard the comments about him coaching another five years, but those comments never came after a national title.  While Duke just reloads, he has three projected first round picks on the roster right now.  Given Coach Brey's great year, I tend to think a Coach K retirement this year would be positive for MU fans. 

The difference is that K has coached teams as good as this year's Duke team on several occasions and will probably coach another team good enough to win another national championship at some point again if he stays on for the next five years.

Bo has neither coached a team this good before this year nor will he coach a team this good ever again.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »

Because K reloads every year and competes for the national championship every year.

After tonight, with all the seniors playing their last game, the bottom drops out for Wisconsin and they are a mid-pack B1G team next year.  Worse if Dekker leaves, NIT if Hayes leaves.

feedback