[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lavin out at St Johns  (Read 39772 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Lavin out at St Johns
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
Not sure why this is such a shocking/risky development.
NBA teams for years have been hiring head coaches with no prior experience. Some of have been disasters (Vinny Del Negro, Kiki Vandeweghe), but some have been really good, i.e. Doc Rivers, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Kevin McHale, Steve Kerr. And many have been at least decent (Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
Not sure why this is such a shocking/risky development.
NBA teams for years have been hiring head coaches with no prior experience. Some of have been disasters (Vinny Del Negro, Kiki Vandeweghe), but some have been really good, i.e. Doc Rivers, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Kevin McHale, Steve Kerr. And many have been at least decent (Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson).

College coaches need a critical skill ... the ability to recruit.  None of these NBA coaches have to do this.

Chris Mullins can be the second coming of Phil Jackson but if they cannot recruit, they are not going to succeed at the college level.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
Can I just say I hope Lavin goes back to ESPN. I thought he was good. I believe he was beside Majerus when he made his "Gay guy" comment.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Can I just say I hope Lavin goes back to ESPN. I thought he was good. I believe he was beside Majerus when he made his "Gay guy" comment.

One of my favorite moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXaERVhNuU

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
Can I just say I hope Lavin goes back to ESPN FS1. I thought he was good. I believe he was beside Majerus when he made his "Gay guy" comment.

FTFY

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
We'll see how this works out for St. John's.  Since Carnesseca left, they've had a series of hires that ranged from OK to poor.  I thought every one of them solid good choices at the time they were made, though.  I thought Lavin would end up recruiting well at St. John's.  I guess you never really know for sure. 

I think our last three selections were good, but we've been lucky, too.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
One of my favorite moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXaERVhNuU

That's awesome -- I hadn't seen that before.
Lavin and the anchor did a good job holding it together.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
#donedeal

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
St. John's is bringing back former star Chris Mullin as head coach, sources told ESPN. Deal is done.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
*CHRIS MULLIN SAID TO ACCEPT ST. JOHN'S COACHING JOB: NYDN

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »
Chris Mullin to St. John's is an awful hire and a bullet dodged for Rutgers and Seton Hall | Politi Bits

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2015/03/chris_mullin_to_st_johns_is_an_awful_hire_and_a_bu.html

Rejoice, Rutgers and Seton Hall. Finally, there is an athletic department that is about to make a decision that will help your struggling basketball programs.

St. John's is on the verge of hiring Chris Mullin as its head basketball coach, according to multiple reports. St. John's, convinced that reaching into its ancient glory will solve its current struggles, is about to anoint as its leader a basketball lifer who hasn't even been a graduate assistant in the college level, because, well, he's Chris Mullin!!

He will win the press conference, a hundred times over. Prominent St. John's alumni and nostalgic New York sports columnists will trip all over themselves to declare this day a rousing success for the Red Storm, because this is a program in desperate need of fresh leadership and, well, did we mention that he's Chris Mullin!

Chris Mullin, the Brooklyn-born basketball superstar. Chris Mullin, the New York state "Mr. Basketball" and top recruit for Louie Carnesecca. Chris Mullin, the three-time Big East Player of the Year and all-time leading scorer for the Redmen before most sensible people decided that Redmen was an offensive nickname for a college team.

Here's the problem: That current 16-year-old power forward? The high school star who is looking at the one-and-done machine at Kentucky as his easy path to NBA riches? He doesn't care about what happened in 1985 in Queens. He wasn't alive in 1985. Chances are, his parents didn't know or care what was happening in 1985.

I know this because, sadly, it's what's happening with Eddie Jordan at Rutgers. There isn't a soul with a Rutgers degree who didn't think that Jordan was the perfect man to clean up the mess in Piscataway after the Mike Rice scandal.

And he did clean up the mess. He set a great example for the young players on his roster. He demanded accountability and tried to teach his players the right way to behave. But he also lost 15 straight games to end last season, a situation that feels hopeless barring a recruiting miracle in the coming months.

Mullin will inherit a similar situation at St. John's, without the national scandal, given the current state of the depleted roster. It's the kind of situation that calls for a shark, somebody already deeply invested in the recruiting scene in New York, and not somebody who has spent the past decade and a half in NBA jobs on the West Coast.

St. John's should have backed up the money truck for Danny Hurley, who already has the recruiting inroads for a quicker turnaround. It should have even taken a flier on Steve Masiello, who has his warts but at least is swimming in the city recruiting waters.

Mullin? Maybe the high school coaches here will be as welcoming as the alumni and the NYC sportswriters. Maybe he'll hire the kind of coaching staff who will make up for his own recruiting inexperience. But to the young players born years after St. John's glory days, he would be just another unfamiliar face.

So congrats, Rutgers and Seton Hall. Finally, weeks after the end of your season, you have some good news to celebrate.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Sources: Mullin agrees to be St. John's coach

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
The more I hear, the more I like the hire, and I thought it was a disaster at first. Rumors that Mullin is best friends with Slice Rohrssen, the UK assistant that takes the lead on northeast recruiting. With a number of players uncommitted late, stealing Rohrssen from Cal's side could get them in the running for one of the uncommitted Mickey D's kids, like Cheick Diallo or Thomas Bryant.

The other rumored assistant is PJ Carlesimo. Having a guy who's been through X's and O's would help ease things quite a bit and let Mullin learn all the fine points of strategy. Carlesimo has also recruited the area (was Seton Hall coach for 12 years, albeit a while ago) and has NBA experience both as an assistant and head coach.

Mullin has a great personality and seems like a sharp guy. He'll certainly win the press conference, and if he is smart enough to surround himself with assistants that cover his weaknesses and help him build those into strengths, he could be a great hire.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
If Chris Mullin can get the right assistants, this is a home run hire.  There are already a few articles w/quotes from prospects saying they would be interested in SJU if Mullin becomes the coach.  The dude is a Hall of Famer and he played on the Dream Team w/Jordan and Magic.  Kids will know who he is....Rumored assistants include "Slice" Rohrssen from Kentucky, Abdelmassih from Iowa State and Richardson from Arizona, all guys with NYC ties and big time recruiters.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »
Chris Mullin to St. John's is an awful hire and a bullet dodged for Rutgers and Seton Hall | Politi Bits

Sour grapes from Jersey.

1. No way St Johns was going to consider Masiello and its not like Danny Hurley is the next Rick Patino.

2. Mullin was a three time big east player of the year, on the Dream Team, and a big time NBAer, despite not having a great deal of Athletic ability. He knows the game of basketball. He'll hire a local recruiter and he'll get a good xs and os guy. He'll remember how to find the gyms at Cardnal Hayes and Christ the King.

3. Chris Mullin is not Eddie Jordan.

4. "He will win the press conference, a hundred times over. Prominent St. John's alumni and nostalgic New York sports columnists will trip all over themselves to declare this day a rousing success for the Red Storm, because this is a program in desperate need of fresh leadership and, well, did we mention that he's Chris Mullin!"

Exactly.

Good news for St Johns, good news for the Big East and therefore--- good news for Marquette.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/top-city-hs-players-mullin-sju-article-1.2166589

"Like most of the other standout high school basketball players in the city, Rawle Alkins has his sights set on eventually playing in the NBA. So when it comes time for him to pick a college, Alkins has to know the program he chooses can be a springboard into “the league.”

That’s why, Alkins said, Chris Mullin would be doing St. John’s a huge favor if he takes the job as head basketball coach.

“It would help knowing he used to be an NBA player and has a lot of NBA connections,” Alkins said of Mullin, who has been offered the job. “I think he can talk to scouts, GMs, coaches.”

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:16 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/top-city-hs-players-mullin-sju-article-1.2166589

"Like most of the other standout high school basketball players in the city, Rawle Alkins has his sights set on eventually playing in the NBA. So when it comes time for him to pick a college, Alkins has to know the program he chooses can be a springboard into “the league.”

That’s why, Alkins said, Chris Mullin would be doing St. John’s a huge favor if he takes the job as head basketball coach.

“It would help knowing he used to be an NBA player and has a lot of NBA connections,” Alkins said of Mullin, who has been offered the job. “I think he can talk to scouts, GMs, coaches.”

And what these kids learn on the trail is that every coach at the high major level has NBA connections. That alone will not sell a program to recruits.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
I think this is an amazing hire for St. Johns, and I can't speak highly enough of Chris Mullin. What is one of the main things that recruits all say they love about our coaching staff? "They all played basketball at a high level, so they can relate to me". I think he meets all qualifications for playing at a high level: 3x Big East player of the year, NBA all-star, and Gold Medalist on the Dream Team. I think that resume will impress any high school kid, especially from NYC. I think he will do a great job recruiting in the city, and not just New York. He grew up on the same streets as those kids(Brooklyn), he played on those streetball courts, he knows what they are going through and he has accomplished what they want to accomplish. And most of all I think he's a real good dude and a straight shooter. Many Johnnies fans criticized Lavin for being a BS artist. I think Mullin's down to earth and he's going to connect well with players.

And some people are criticizing him because he has "never coached before". I think he knows a thing or two about basketball and he'll do just fine.

The only negative is that he could be walking into a huge mess. He might be left with nothing next year, especially if Obekpa and Rysheed Jordan leave early. Give him time, hope that he can have at least a decent roster next year and I think he'll do great.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
That alone will not sell a program to recruits.

Nobody said it would. But Mullin's connections will help.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
The only negative is that he could be walking into a huge mess. He might be left with nothing next year, especially if Obekpa and Rysheed Jordan leave early. Give him time, hope that he can have at least a decent roster next year and I think he'll do great.

The biggest recruiting win he could get is to land Slice Rohrssen. That alone could help him bring in Cheick Diallo. If he can get Brandon Sampson back that'd be something to start building on. Maybe get a grad transfer or two, plum the JUCO route, there's a lot to sell at St. John's.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
Question for everyone falling all over Mullin's hire -

Name his sucesses since his retirement as a player? 

Isaiah Thomas stunk at everything he tried after his playing days were through.  Eddie Jordan, who had prior coaching experience, is working out poorly at his alma mater.  As I mentioned yesterday, Sidney Moncrief, great player, intelligent player, disaster when he tried to coach after never having done so, like Mullin will be trying.

Why does hype and a big name always cloud people's judgments?  And I'm talking almost any walk of life you care to name.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »
He's a Hoiberg hire. Could work out well, could backfire. What I like about it is the excitement generated. Mullin will get the donors to open their checkbooks. If he gets solid assistants it could work well.

Can he coach? We'll see. But we knew Lavin couldn't and the team was going to suck next year anyway. Rather see a boom or bust hire like this than a "our ultimate goal is to make the tournament" hire like DePaul made.

Great...so you aspire to be a bubble team...

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
He's a Hoiberg hire. Could work out well, could backfire. What I like about it is the excitement generated. Mullin will get the donors to open their checkbooks. If he gets solid assistants it could work well.

Can he coach? We'll see. But we knew Lavin couldn't and the team was going to suck next year anyway. Rather see a boom or bust hire like this than a "our ultimate goal is to make the tournament" hire like DePaul made.

Great...so you aspire to be a bubble team...

Short-term excitement makes it a good hire?  Short-term excitement and donations that will dry up in a NY minute if they suck.  And he likely has a massive rebuilding job next season.  NY is not noted for their patience, regardless the circumstances.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
Short-term excitement makes it a good hire?  Short-term excitement and donations that will dry up in a NY minute if they suck.  And he likely has a massive rebuilding job next season.  NY is not noted for their patience, regardless the circumstances.

If he sucks as a coach the excitement will end.  ::) But right now there's plenty of excitement and its been a long time since NYC was excited about St Johns.

feedback