[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Badgers are an excellent team  (Read 39000 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: The Badgers are an excellent team
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
I'll be the fifth or sixth person to chime in here and say you are absolutely wrong about this. My time in the dome is etched in concrete in my mind and it's utter bull$hit what you're trying to spew about Wisconsin fans cheering hard for Marquette to beat either/or/both of Pitt and Kentucky. Zero truth to it.

That makes me the 7th person to agree.   There was near zero fans in red cheering for Marquette that day.

UW and ND in the E8, MU sitting at home.  Worst season ever.   Also, those cheering for the Badgers will be banned.  Even if it helps your bracket.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
Yes, if they get hot from three.

On the right night, Kentucky can be beat. Both Ole Miss and LSU were damn close. But when Kentucky is motivated and playing their best, no one can beat them. I also think playing them in the Final Four game is a huge disadvantage for either Arizona or Wisconsin. That's a full week that UK will be zeroed in on beating you. I think if they come out flat, it's more likely to be in the second game with less prep time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
This is pretty much how I feel about the Kohl's crowd of Badger defenders:

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »
Whatever would tear out a Badger fans heart the most is what I am cheering for. If not making FF would destroy their memory of the season I want that. If losing in NC at buzzer beater is worse I am all for that. Funny thing is I thought my hatred for the Badgers has lessened a great deal over the years and seeing them win is telling me I still hate them.

Yes, this.  So much this.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:02 AM »
Way back when, during the 2003 regional in Minneapolis, the fans of both teams actually had some 'state' pride and charity, now it's all about tearing each other down.  Congrats on this new mentality!  ::)

This is not a new mentality.
Teams within state cheering against each other - to find this you need to only check every single state.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Whatever would tear out a Badger fans heart the most is what I am cheering for. If not making FF would destroy their memory of the season I want that. If losing in NC at buzzer beater is worse I am all for that. Funny thing is I thought my hatred for the Badgers has lessened a great deal over the years and seeing them win is telling me I still hate them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is exactly how I feel.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
If you just based it on what I saw last night, Wisconsin looked a lot better than Arizona.  Of course they'll have to prove it on the floor tomorrow, but I think it is back-to-back Final Fours for them.

I don't think anybody beats Kentucky, but Wisconsin and Duke are the only teams I see with a chance.

My section last night was mostly Badger fans for the first game, then they cleared out...not many stayed for the second  game.  Zona fans moved in.  Zona looked awful I thought.  I went with a buddy of mine that is a UCLA season ticket holder and he's been saying all year how overrated Zona is.  I came away last night thinking he nailed it, but in a tournament you never know if you bring your A game or not.

Most of the Zona fans around me thought Zona wasn't tough enough to beat Wisconsin....I believe they are right.

Kentucky can be beat, they almost lost 3 or 4 times this year.  Question is whether they were sleep walking at that time or truly challenged.  Notre Dame might give them a challenge if they are hitting their 3's.  Wisconsin can do it, Duke and maybe a few others on the right night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
My section last night was mostly Badger fans for the first game, then they cleared out...not many stayed for the second  game.  Zona fans moved in.  Zona looked awful I thought.  I went with a buddy of mine that is a UCLA season ticket holder and he's been saying all year how overrated Zona is.  I came away last night thinking he nailed it, but in a tournament you never know if you bring your A game or not.

Yeah I think that is right.  That is the third or so time I have seen them this year, and if they can't set the pace against UW, they are going to be in trouble.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
This is not a new mentality.
Teams within state cheering against each other - to find this you need to only check every single state.

Exactly, this is nothing new.  Can someone post the picture of Al and his good friend Mr. Hughes in this thread?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »

+1

It isn't a true rivalry if MU fans don't feel that way.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
I say no way the Badgers beat Kentucky.  And I do think they'll probably beat Arizona.  

They have looked good, but nowhere near great, in postseason.  Michigan St. had the B10 championship game and coughed it up.  Oregon had them tied with under 10 to play.  They pulled away late in last night's game.  They didn't even dominate Coastal Carolina.  

Their play right now isn't even close to being good enough to beat UK.  

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
That's not how I remember it at all.

A lot of the same UW fans changed shirts into MU shirts during the UK game even the ones in the red were cheering very loud.

To be super honest. Unless you went to Marquette or are a die hard bucky fan, Most people in the state cheer for both.  Not saying that I am one of them, but at the school I work at almost every employee cheers for both. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
To be super honest. Unless you went to Marquette or are a die hard bucky fan, Most people in the state cheer for both.  Not saying that I am one of them, but at the school I work at almost every employee cheers for both. 

Glad we have the Iowa State perspective on this.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
My wife roots for the Badgers when they are not playing MU.  I try to be a bigger person.  I just can't.

As long as a team other than UW Madison wins, I'm good.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »
A lot of the same UW fans changed shirts into MU shirts during the UK game even the ones in the red were cheering very loud.

As someone who grew up in the Appleton area, this is not the case at all.  Most people there couldn't give a rat's ars about MU, including the local press.  The UW-Oshkosh and Stevens Point grads treat the fact that their school has a hyphen after the word Wisconsin as though they are the same.  

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »

Most of the Zona fans around me thought Zona wasn't tough enough to beat Wisconsin....I believe they are right.

Kentucky can be beat, they almost lost 3 or 4 times this year.  Question is whether they were sleep walking at that time or truly challenged.  Notre Dame might give them a challenge if they are hitting their 3's.  Wisconsin can do it, Duke and maybe a few others on the right night.

Very impressed with the Wisconsin turnout. They had a tremendous amount of fans in the building and I thought quite a few stayed to watch Zona.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »

To be super honest. Unless you went to Marquette or are a die hard bucky fan, Most people in the state cheer for both.  Not saying that I am one of them, but at the school I work at almost every employee cheers for both.  

Real world says otherwise, I don't think it's even half cheer for both.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »

To be super honest. Unless you went to Marquette or are a die hard bucky fan, Most people in the state cheer for both.  Not saying that I am one of them, but at the school I work at almost every employee cheers for both.  

I would say that most "non aligned" fans cheer for UW, but when UW isn't playing, either are happy for Marquette or simply don't care.

For instance, my wife who didn't go to either school, sees nothing wrong about cheering for both.  (But she *must* cheer for Marquette when they are playing UW - house rule.)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »
In regards to UW being an excellent team, IMO they are a very good team in a very watered down sport. UK likely will run the board and I do not considered them an excellent team. If grading on a curve UK is excellent, largely due to 99.9% of the teams are not very good. UK would not be a top ten all time IMO and maybe not top 20 if I took my time to do some homework.

College ball has slipped a great deal over the past decade and at times difficult to watch. I will give the Badgers credit for being easier on the eye the past couple of seasons. It is a shame on how hitting free throws, making open shots or making good decisions with the ball seem to be lost.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
In regards to UW being an excellent team, IMO they are a very good team in a very watered down sport. UK likely will run the board and I do not considered them an excellent team. If grading on a curve UK is excellent, largely due to 99.9% of the teams are not very good. UK would not be a top ten all time IMO and maybe not top 20 if I took my time to do some homework.

College ball has slipped a great deal over the past decade and at times difficult to watch. I will give the Badgers credit for being easier on the eye the past couple of seasons. It is a shame on how hitting free throws, making open shots or making good decisions with the ball seem to be lost.

I think if you compare teams by era, Kentucky is absolutely an excellent team. Relative to the teams they are playing against, they are certainly one of the most dominant teams I have seen. Would they compare to the great Big East teams of the 1980s, or the UNLV or Duke teams of the early 1990s, or teams going back into the 1970s or earlier? Maybe not if you put them on the same court in their prime, but in terms of how they compare to their current competition, this Kentucky team is as good as any I've seen in my lifetime.

I also would stress that Calipari has done an amazing job of getting a ton of future NBA guys to buy into the system. No one plays 26+ mpg, no one scores more than 11.1 ppg, and yet they are all fine with their roles and are happy to contribute to the team. They may not be filled with top-5 picks, but to do that with a team that will likely see at least 10 guys get a cup of coffee in the NBA (most will probably have decent careers) is incredible.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:42:55 AM by brewcity77 »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
Real world says otherwise, I don't think it's even half cheer for both.  

Agree.

My 4th grader's school had Badger day yesterday which required everyone to wear Badger colors. To my son's credit he told the teacher that he wasn't a Badger fan and we didn't have Badger gear. The teacher told him "too bad wear it anyway".  I made sure he went to school with a MU jersey and a MU shirt underneath so that if they asked him to take off the jersey he would still have MU gear underneath. I told my son the school could call me if they had any problems with it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
Hairy

Love it!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Goose, I think Kentucky is one of the elite teams of our time.  They would easily beat the undefeated team from Indiana in 76.  Kent Benson was 6'10" and slow, Cauley Stien is a 7 footer who can guard anybody, add Towns and Lyle, front line might be the best in history.  Throw in 4 guards that all are pretty good, and then 2 other 7 footers off the bench.  Who could beat them?
Buckner was not a great shooter and Scot May was 6'7", Kentucky 10 points better.  How is Notre Dame stop them inside, no chance.  Wisconsin is the only team with a chance, slow the game down and shot the 3, and make them all.  I think Frank will have some trouble against them.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:59 AM »
Agree.

My 4th grader's school had Badger day yesterday which required everyone to wear Badger colors. To my son's credit he told the teacher that he wasn't a Badger fan and we didn't have Badger gear. The teacher told him "too bad wear it anyway".  I made sure he went to school with a MU jersey and a MU shirt underneath so that if they asked him to take off the jersey he would still have MU gear underneath. I told my son the school could call me if they had any problems with it.

These are the true signs of a good father  8-)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »

I think Kentucky is one of the top 5 teams I have seen play college basketball since 1980 and could hold their own against the very best teams since that time.

'92 Duke, '96 Kentucky, '82 UNC, '85 Georgetown are probably the only ones I would rank higher.

These are difficult discussions though because although those four teams were fantastic and filled with NBA players and experience, this Kentucky team is both very big and very fast, and is one of the best defensive teams I have ever seen.

feedback