[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: And we wonder why the "average" American is getting fatter....  (Read 14680 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: And we wonder why the "average" American is getting fatter....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
Y'all need to go grain free.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
No one is "wondering why" the average American is getting fatter.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »

Corn's ok, aina?

Death on call

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
Corn and soy bean.   Wisconsin's staple crops.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »

What if its fermented and consumed as a beverage?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »
What if its fermented and consumed as a beverage?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
Eat less, move more.

Gluten never killed anyone on the Oregon Trail video game so it's fine by me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
Eat less, move more.

Gluten never killed anyone on the Oregon Trail video game so it's fine by me.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Fad diets like gluten free or carb free ultimately produce short term results with long term negative impacts.

Eat a reasonable, balanced diet while moving/working out a reasonable amount.  I put on a ton of weight post flying/college, thought I was ok with it but wasn't great, ultimately lost 70 pounds in about 8 months.  Didn't do anything crazy, simply monitored how many calories I ate and tracked how many calories I burned working out and/or just existing. 

I keep doing the same things at my sustain weight and can stay within 2 or 3 pounds of that weight continuously (have for the last 2 years anyway).  If I want to have beer, I do so.  If I want steak, I do so.  If I want a cookie, I do so.  I also know I need to trade those things off either in more activity or less food of something else.

With all the apps and tools out there, this is really pretty easy these days IMHO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Couldn't agree more with this.

Fad diets like gluten free or carb free ultimately produce short term results with long term negative impacts.

I wouldn't say carb free is a fad diet.  Maybe some iteration like Atkins is, but at its heart, carb free is just stripping away processed foods and empty calories that end up with you starving again in an hour.  "Carb free" diets, like paleo, are actually dependent on carbs, but from sources like sweet potatoes or vegetables instead of crackers or pasta. My manager likes to make fun of my eating habits and call me "paleo" when I'm not attacking the pasta bar in our cafeteria or having a sandwich on a huge roll, but its all checks and balances for me.  I work out often, but I don't like doing cardio in the traditional sense and can't always motivate myself to do high intensity work solo, so if I cut out most typical carbs during the week, I can get a similar effect.  ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN NOT THE GYM BRAH

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
No one is "wondering why" the average American is getting fatter.

I assume you meant to use teal, but if not:  http://www.obesityresearch.nih.gov/funding/funding.aspx

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
I wouldn't say carb free is a fad diet.  Maybe some iteration like Atkins is, but at its heart, carb free is just stripping away processed foods and empty calories that end up with you starving again in an hour.  "Carb free" diets, like paleo, are actually dependent on carbs, but from sources like sweet potatoes or vegetables instead of crackers or pasta. My manager likes to make fun of my eating habits and call me "paleo" when I'm not attacking the pasta bar in our cafeteria or having a sandwich on a huge roll, but its all checks and balances for me.  I work out often, but I don't like doing cardio in the traditional sense and can't always motivate myself to do high intensity work solo, so if I cut out most typical carbs during the week, I can get a similar effect.  ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN NOT THE GYM BRAH

This.

People are fat for 3 reasons:
#1 They intake too many calories.
#2 They intake the wrong type of calories (in america, that's mostly simple carbs and sugars that are put into everything to make them taste good).
#3 They don't burn enough calories.

All 3 issues need to be addressed. Eat less and move more isn't wrong, but "eat right and move more" is more accurate.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »

DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRAH?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
This.

#2 They intake the wrong type of calories (in america, that's mostly simple carbs and sugars that are put into everything to make them taste good).

All 3 issues need to be addressed. Eat less and move more isn't wrong, but "eat right and move more" is more accurate.

Yep.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Question for those of you who left Wisconsin after college or are not from Wisconsin... does it seem like people in Wisconsin have the least healthy diets of almost anyone in America?

I'm no picture of health, but every time I return to Wisconsin it seems like people are fatter and paler than anywhere else.

+1 on the Paleo recommendations. You don't have to be perfect, but the more crap you can get out of your diet and the more nutrient-dense food in, the better. Wish we had a culture in the upper midwest more conducive to healthy eating and lifestyles.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
Question for those of you who left Wisconsin after college or are not from Wisconsin... does it seem like people in Wisconsin have the least healthy diets of almost anyone in America?

I'm no picture of health, but every time I return to Wisconsin it seems like people are fatter and paler than anywhere else.

+1 on the Paleo recommendations. You don't have to be perfect, but the more crap you can get out of your diet and the more nutrient-dense food in, the better. Wish we had a culture in the upper midwest more conducive to healthy eating and lifestyles.

From Connecticut and returned here after graduation from Marquette.
I always felt everyone looked heftier in Milwaukee than back home.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »

I agree completely.

Well any state known for beer, dairy and smoked meat is going to have some issues.  There is also that lingering German/Polish mindset about weight being a good thing.  My wife lost a few pounds a couple years ago.  When we were back up in Milwaukee one weekend, her aunt said to her "you lost weight...are you sick?"  When she was told most assuredly no, her aunt said "well you need to get some meat on your bones."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I need to lose about 50-60 lbs (I'm 6-5).  When I took my son to Wisconsin a few years back he said, "Dad, you should have stayed here.  You fit right in."  Certainly seems like a larger percentage of heavy folks in WI than CT.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »

From my not terribly extensive travels, Wisconsinites eat bad, but no worse than what I've seen in parts of the South, where it seems nearly everything is fried or drowned in butter.

As for paleo ....
Paleo in the sense that you're avoiding highly modified, processed foods = good.
Paleo in the sense that you think you're a caveman and won't consume any dairy or grains = bad.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
From my not terribly extensive travels, Wisconsinites eat bad, but no worse than what I've seen in parts of the South, where it seems nearly everything is fried or drowned in butter.

As for paleo ....
Paleo in the sense that you're avoiding highly modified, processed foods = good.
Paleo in the sense that you think you're a caveman and won't consume any dairy or grains = bad.

+1 The South is waaaay worse

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »
This.

When my wife mentioned she wanted to do paleo I could hear my eyes rolling.  It sounded way too gimmicky, and to an extent, I still think it is.  But once you cut out some of the more unintelligible portions of the "true paleo" diet (why can't I eat beans?  Because a caveman couldn't find beans?), its really just a good shorthand way of cutting back on the "wrong" type of calories that you note.  It's low in simple carbohydrates, forces you to cut out basically all processed foods, and encourages eating a lot more fresh vegetation and lean protein.  I now really enjoy eating this way for 5-6/7 nights a week.  

I do wonder about the long term health effects for folks that take the low carb thing to mean that they should have red meat 5 times a week.  Sure you might lose some weight if you cut out all carbs and stick to protein, but I just feel that there are some unexplored long term risks there in terms of heart and digestive health.  Long way of saying "all things in moderation", I suppose.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:50:31 PM by shiloh26 »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
When my wife mentioned she wanted to do paleo I could literally hear my eyes rolling.  It sounded way too gimmicky, and to an extent, I still think it is.  But once you cut out some of the more unintelligible portions of the "true paleo" diet (why can't I eat beans?  Because a caveman couldn't find beans?), its really just a good shorthand way of cutting back on the "wrong" type of calories that you note.  It's low in simple carbohydrates, forces you to cut out basically all processed foods, and encourages eating a lot more fresh vegetation and lean protein.  I now really enjoy eating this way for 5-6/7 nights a week.  

I do wonder about the long term health effects for folks that take the low carb thing to mean that they should have red meat 5 times a week.  Sure you might lose some weight if you cut out all carbs and stick to protein, but I just feel that there are some unexplored long term risks there in terms of heart and digestive health.  Long way of saying "all things in moderation", I suppose.

This is a good way to put it - cutting out the crap and adding in good quality vegetables, etc.

You'll actually find a lot of paleo people recommending moderate protein intake. Unless you are a body builder, you really don't need that much protein. Most paleo people are against protein shakes, etc. The usual recommendation is to have a piece of protein about the size of your closed fist during a meal. The reason for the more modest recommendation is that too much protein can be hard on your adrenal glands.

Paleo is actually a lot bigger on high fat than high protein. Full fat dairy, cartons and cartons of eggs, salmon, avocados galore, veggies drenched in EVOO.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »
This.

#2 is especially interesting because the majority of Americans do not even realize it.  People may get that they eat a little more than they should or that they don't quite exercise as much as they would like, but many do not even know how to make an educated decision by reading a food label.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:47 PM »
#2 is especially interesting because the majority of Americans do not even realize it.  People may get that they eat a little more than they should or that they don't quite exercise as much as they would like, but many do not even know how to make an educated decision by reading a food label.

Agreed... and it's actually a pretty big problem in this country (IMO).

We've regulated tobacco and alcohol and made them put warnings on everything, and yet we have people essentially poisoning themselves with the wrong food choices, and we just blame it on the individual for making those choices.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not some sort of holistic foodie-type. I enjoy Golden Grahams as much as the next guy. But, those products are aggressively marketed (especially to kids), and the reality is that they aren't good for us... at all. People don't know they aren't good for us because it's marketed as part of a healthy lifestyle... AND IT'S CHEAP. Crappy, sugary food is cheap and easy.

What cost this country more money, lung disease, DUIs, or complications related or caused by obesity? (I don't really know, but just sayin')

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
This thread would be more entertaining if it had just been titled, "Look at this nacho stick".

feedback