Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duke v. WI  (Read 6345 times)

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
Duke v. WI
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »
Duke up 36 - 18 with 6:31 left in the first.

;D Ha Ha ;D

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
Re: Duke v. WI
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
I would have put money on neither team picking up a foul today with both Coach K and Bo Ryan in the same house.

Some of these calls going against duke are unbelievable.  It's like the refs are calling it against them because they're up 18 so they can say they're not showing favoritism.
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
Wow, Wisky is getting blown out of the water by Duke. Doesn't look like they can even keep with with them.

Depending on the flow of the game allowed by the stripes, we can easily do the same thing.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »
I hope marquette is paying attention to this game.  Duke is pushing them way out making them start the offense a lot deeper than they want to.  Completely disrupting UW's offense with their quickness and running the court very well. All things that MU can take into Madison and use to beat them.  As long as we don't get into foul trouble early, we could be in this same situation.

I like how the Grinch is so pissed every time UW gets called for a foul...gets a taste of his own medicine and what his opponents get to feel from him being in referees' ears.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:08:42 PM »
8-11 3pt shooting isn't hurting Duke either.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »
8-11 3pt shooting isn't hurting Duke either.

I'd say at least 8 of those were almost wide open.

pitz

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen so many ugly players on the court at one time :o

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:18:32 PM »

I'd include the coaches in that statement.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:20:39 PM »

I'd include sideline reporter Doris Burke in that statement.

Damn...her name is even ugly.

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:32:26 PM »
I hope marquette is paying attention to this game.  Duke is pushing them way out making them start the offense a lot deeper than they want to.  Completely disrupting UW's offense with their quickness and running the court very well. All things that MU can take into Madison and use to beat them.  As long as we don't get into foul trouble early, we could be in this same situation.

Duke also has just enough big guys to neutralize the Badgers size, which we obviously don't have.  That's what I'm most nervous about.  But if we can play with the same kind of intensity that we did against OSU and Duke, we should be in good shape.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:03 PM »

Nice jesuit values!  Our coach is no GQ model, especially in Maui, and is 20 years younger.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:53:39 PM »
Tom Crean take notes... PRESS WISCONSIN!
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »
"Duke also has just enough big guys to neutralize the Badgers size, which we obviously don't have. "

Just saw a stat on tv about 7 min left in the second half that says guys over 6'9'' 5 for uw, 1 for duke.

how many guys do we have over 6'9''?
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »

Duke also has just enough big guys to neutralize the Badgers size, which we obviously don't have.  That's what I'm most nervous about.  But if we can play with the same kind of intensity that we did against OSU and Duke, we should be in good shape.

Duke has one player of 6'9"...how many do we have?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »
1, Barro at 6'10" 
Fitz is 6'9"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
exactly

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »
Well I don't want to get into a silly argument, but I was referring to Duke's 7' 1" and their 6' 8" guys that were actually playing underneath.  They were disrupting Wisconsin's bigs in the first half and wouldn't allow them to get going.  I only said they had "just enough".

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
i'll give you that.

our players do have experience playing against bigger guys and defending them well also though. We'll have to see how it pans out next weekend.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »
Technical foul on PTM.
GO WARRIORS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:45:28 PM »

Nice jesuit values!  Our coach is no GQ model, especially in Maui, and is 20 years younger.

OUR?  Are you having some identity problems

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 12:10:57 AM »
The key to beating WI is for them not to get settled in a half-court game. Duke was relentless on the D and spread the floor out on offense.

Let those big guys (Butcher, Krappyhoft) get settled and it's going to be foulsville in the blocks and Wisconsin Red all the way.
SS Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:47 AM »
Well I don't want to get into a silly argument, but I was referring to Duke's 7' 1" and their 6' 8" guys that were actually playing underneath.  They were disrupting Wisconsin's bigs in the first half and wouldn't allow them to get going.  I only said they had "just enough".

Duke's 7'1" guy, Brian Zoubek, played seven minutes tonight. Their other big man, Lance Thomas, played 13 minutes (during which he was called for four fouls).

As has been said before, the key Dec. 8 is going to be MU's ability/inability to run Bucky out of the building.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 07:58:55 AM »
Again, it's going to go down to how the game is called. Jerel has to be smart in the first five minutes. Bo kisses the zebras' butts during pregame and lets them know how he wants it called. If it's Duke-type officiating and the refs fall for the Badgers' flops into the front row, we have NO chance. I fear the Badgers will be in the bonus with eight minutes left in the first half. If that doesn't happen, we have a chance.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »
While we definitely can't afford to have McNeal get in foul trouble, the two key players in our matchup will be Hughes and Barro.  We need Barro to at least try to neutralize there bigs and UW needs Hughes because they will get manhandled when the ball is not in his hands.  Unfortunately, I see Barro getting the short end of the stick on this one.

tonyreeder

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »
"Nice jesuit values!  Our coach is no GQ model, especially in Maui, and is 20 years younger."

Had the Duke-Mu game on over Thanksgiving at my parent's house and my Mom starts watching the game (not quite the fan I am but knows who Tom Crean is) and asks "Did Marquette get a different coach?  That can't be the same guy, he's so tan!"   He really does need to lay off the sun/tanning booth because his current hue is some sort of orangish/yellow. It does not look healthy.

feedback