[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boeheim retiring .... in three years  (Read 2025 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Boeheim retiring .... in three years
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS
Syracuse University has announced that Jim Boeheim will retire in three years.

Syracuse also fired their AD today.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Boeheim retiring .... in three years
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Seems like an awfully long farewell tour, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »
Seems like an awfully long farewell tour, ai na?

Yeah, I am surprised they made that public.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
This is genius by Syracuse. Honestly, can't believe it's receiving so much criticism on Twitter and such.

Boeheim announces 3 years. That means his 2015 recruits and 2016 targets will get to play for him, and as most SU recruits probably think they are early entry kids, they figure they'll play only for him. Once they are in the program, they will get acquainted with Mike Hopkins' style and how they will work with him post-Boeheim. Most transitions end up with quite a few transfers. My guess is Syracuse won't have many -- everyone will know what's coming and will have their comfort level with Hopkins established.

This also lets Hopkins focus on recruiting 2017 and beyond. He can tell them Boeheim will be around, but is able to recruit as a head coach because everyone knows it's coming. Hopkins sets himself up as the man (he will be soon enough) and the recruits commit to him and his program, further ensuring less risk of turnover when Boeheim steps down.

Finally, the NCAA sanctions are for how long? Three years. So if they start this year, the program is free and clear by the time Hopkins steps to the helm. If they delay them until next year (due to committed recruits and such) Hopkins only has to deal with one year of sanctions. Either way, everyone knows the score and the new coach isn't walking into a disaster left by Boeheim.

I'm really impressed by this move on Syracuse's part. Thought he would leave sooner, but this will keep the 2015 kids in the fold and allow the Orange to continue pursuing 2016 targets like Tyus Battle and Sedee Keita without them having the fear that Boeheim will walk as soon as they put ink to their letter of intent.

Flawless execution and foresight. Man...I hate praising the Orange.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Boeheim will retire in 3 years
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
Boeheim just announced that he will retire in 3 years. The AD was just fired as well. It is assumed that long time assistant Mike Hopkins will take over as coach. Hopkins was a candidate for the MU job last year

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Boeheim will retire in 3 years
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »
Already a thread in the Superbar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Boeheim will retire in 3 years
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
Boeheim just announced that he will retire in 3 years. The AD was just fired as well. It is assumed that long time assistant Mike Hopkins will take over as coach. Hopkins was a candidate for the MU job last year

I find it interesting they haven't already annointed Hopkins as the successor in three years.  Sounds to me like they likely are planning on a clean break from the Boeheim era and how it's ending, otherwise, why not just announce Hopkins as the heir apparent right now?  He's right there under their noses at Syracuse.  I bet they're going outside for the next Orange coach.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
I find it interesting they haven't already annointed Hopkins as the successor in three years.  Sounds to me like they likely are planning on a clean break from the Boeheim era and how it's ending, otherwise, why not just announce Hopkins as the heir apparent right now?  He's right there under their noses at Syracuse.  I bet they're going outside for the next Orange coach.

I would assume that will be a decision made by the new AD.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
Daryl Gross was one of the biggest advocates pushing for the breakup of the old Big East, so I see his firing as a little bit of karma.  Now maybe the president from Pitt can get canned too.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »
Now Boeheim says next year might be his last and he only stayed this long in order to NOT be seen as running from the investigation