[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ncaa Ripped - John Oliver  (Read 11308 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Ncaa Ripped - John Oliver
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »

brandx

Re: Ncaa Ripped - John Oliver
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Been there. Done that.

Check the superbar!!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
Gah someone got there before me? LAME

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
Hook em !

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
That is hilarious, I kept thinking of Buzz and his revenue streams.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »
Very good but it does not tell the whole story. I agree with the fact that most coaches are creeps and the NCAA officials are the lowliest but athletes do generally benefit from their time on campus and often times get fairly good jobs after college due to connections they make at the school.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
Very good but it does not tell the whole story. I agree with the fact that most coaches are creeps and the NCAA officials are the lowliest but athletes do generally benefit from their time on campus and often times get fairly good jobs after college due to connections they make at the school.

I'm thinking that this had a lot to do with Josh Sharma dropping Wisconsin for Stanford.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
And I would grant some compensation to the players. As Al McGuire said when one of his players went pro after sophomore year "I would have gone pro if I had what was in his family's refrigerator when I visited". (Paraphrased)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »

I'm just curious how many NCAA people you know, or for that matter coaches?  The wrestling coach, the women's volleyball coach at Portland State, the fencing coach at Yale, the rowing coach at Harvard, the softball coach at Alcorn State, the golf coach at Truman, etc, etc. 

Are you judging all coaches by the handful you see on tv, as that is a minority when you consider all the sports the NCAA offers in the three divisions, let alone the assistant coaches, etc.  As for the NCAA officials, I honestly can't think of any of those that I know currently or worked with in the past are anything but wonderful people.  They are in compliance, or statistics, or the championships part of the organization.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
Same weekly script for him.  Old.

Does he even know what the NCAA is? I doubt it.  I'll bet he's a huge basketball fan as well.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 01:44:00 AM »

Does he even know what the NCAA is? I doubt it.  I'll bet he's a huge basketball fan as well.

Obviously doesn't write his own stuff. Like 99.999999% of any tv host.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

Quite possibly not.  Which if you think about it, isn't a good sign for the NCAA.  When this call for paying football and basketball players no longer runs solely on sports themed shows but moves onto mainstream media shows it can only be a sign that the drums are starting to beat louder.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »

John Oliver's show was really a cool idea for the first 3 episodes, then it became obvious that he was going to run out the same trope time and time again.  Just change the names and find some other strawman to burn down.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
The thing that really bothers me is that he doesn't even bother to bring up ANY counter argument AT ALL. What about athletes not playing men's basketball? Per Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, how much do you pay a discus thrower? Look, I'm not saying the current system is perfect (far from it), but I have yet to see someone present a reasonable solution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX. It's so easy to just pin it all on Men's basketball without even considering all of the other sports...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
The thing that really bothers me is that he doesn't even bother to bring up ANY counter argument AT ALL. What about athletes not playing men's basketball? Per Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, how much do you pay a discus thrower? Look, I'm not saying the current system is perfect (far from it), but I have yet to see someone present a reasonable solution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX. It's so easy to just pin it all on Men's basketball without even considering all of the other sports...

I think you are misinterpreting Title IX. There is nothing that says if a basketball player is paid you must pay a discus thrower. Most non-basketball/football student athletes don't even get full scholarships despite the basketball and football players getting full rides.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
[/quote

Title Nine has nothing to do with this.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
I think you are misinterpreting Title IX. There is nothing that says if a basketball player is paid you must pay a discus thrower. Most non-basketball/football student athletes don't even get full scholarships despite the basketball and football players getting full rides.

So then what does it say?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
So then what does it say?

Absolutely nothing having to do with this topic. Title IX is about preventing gender discrimination in higher education.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »

So, what time is your show on? I'd like to get some new, fresh humor.

Until then, I'll have to agree with HBO, which thought enough of Oliver's weekly script to extend his contract.

I happen to think he's funny, but maybe The Chicos Report on Showtime will convince me otherwise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »

Until then, I'll have to agree with HBO, which thought enough of Oliver's weekly script to extend his contract.

I happen to think he's funny, but maybe The Chicos Report on Showtime will convince me otherwise.

Not that Chicos needs someone to come to his defense, but I didn't realize that just because someone doesn't have a show of their own, they must find all that do funny.  You're so right - that Steve Harvey show is hysterical.

This is the same argument as saying only those that have played college basketball are qualified to judge.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
Not that Chicos needs someone to come to his defense, but I didn't realize that just because someone doesn't have a show of their own, they must find all that do funny.  You're so right - that Steve Harvey show is hysterical.

This is the same argument as saying only those that have played college basketball are qualified to judge.

You're right. Chicos is entitled to his opinion, as is everybody else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
John Oliver's show was really a cool idea for the first 3 episodes, then it became obvious that he was going to run out the same trope time and time again.  Just change the names and find some other strawman to burn down.

Yup....it's just a cut and paste shat show now. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
Absolutely nothing having to do with this topic. Title IX is about preventing gender discrimination in higher education.

As any Title IX specialized attorney will tell you, however, if you pay the men's basketball players you can bet the lawsuits on the grounds of title ix will fly fast and furious.  Whether they are successful or not, that's another story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »

82, he's in your wheelhouse on ideology, of course you think he is funny.  I happen to think some of his stuff is quite good, but he needs to shake it up.  Plus, talk about something he actually knows, it was painful watching him do this...he had no idea about the NCAA or the tournament and it was obvious.  He clearly doesn't understand intercollegiate athletics either.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
He brings up some good points, but he really didn't talk about how basketball and football pay for all the sports in an athletic department.  Also if basketball football players get paid do all sports get paid?  Do lower division one players get paid?  If Napier was actually going to bed hungry then that for sure needs to be fixed, but the NCAA doesn't really make any money many people don't realize that.

feedback