'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Official Transfer Thread  (Read 209134 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Official Transfer Thread
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Transferring is completely out of control.  The way it is going, there are going to be programs that take Iowa State one step further and don't even bother to recruit freshmen.  Just constantly have a team of upperclassmen transfers.

It is too much, IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #401 on: April 14, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »
Transferring is completely out of control.  The way it is going, there are going to be programs that take Iowa State one step further and don't even bother to recruit freshmen.  Just constantly have a team of upperclassmen transfers.

It is too much, IMO.

And some people on this board want it so you don't even have to sit out a year. Imagine how out of control it would be in that situation....complete chaos.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »

It is too much, IMO.

I don't know. These are kids we are talking about. 98% of them will never play in the NBA and very few professionally. If they want to transfer, so be it.

I think it'd be pretty cool to see a team focus on transfers, much like ISU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

eg021

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
Any word on if Lamonte Bearden is looking to transfer from Buffalo now that Bobby Hurley left. Had a solid freshman year and would be a nice get for Marquette.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:06 PM »
I don't know. These are kids we are talking about. 98% of them will never play in the NBA and very few professionally. If they want to transfer, so be it.

I think it'd be pretty cool to see a team focus on transfers, much like ISU.

If my math is correct, for every four transfers that sit out a year that is a complete four year scholarship taken away from another kid.  And that doesn't even include mid year transfers who take even more away.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »
Any word on if Lamonte Bearden is looking to transfer from Buffalo now that Bobby Hurley left. Had a solid freshman year and would be a nice get for Marquette.

Seriously doubt Bearden is Steve's kinda playa, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
I wonder what the penalty is for a cello player or school newspaper editor or engineering whiz on full scholarship who wants to transfer to another school and receive a full scholarship.

Actually, I don't wonder. I know what it is: The same penalty a basketball or football coach faces for leaving a seven-figure job at one school for a seven-figure job at another school.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2015, 10:58:19 PM »
I wonder what the penalty is for a cello player or school newspaper editor or engineering whiz on full scholarship who wants to transfer to another school and receive a full scholarship.

Actually, I don't wonder. I know what it is: The same penalty a basketball or football coach faces for leaving a seven-figure job at one school for a seven-figure job at another school.

I wonder what league titles the cello player is going for each year?  I wonder how many cello players are even on a full scholarship in the USA combined?  I wonder what kind of revenues are brought in by the cello player that are used to pay for his/her scholarship and that of other studen athletes of the university?  I wonder where the cello message board is where we discuss such things?

I wonder if cello players are leaving school because they aren't getting the minutes to play.

I wonder......
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:02:48 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:05 PM »

Do you really think the transfer rate for those on non-athletic full scholarships is ANYWHERE remotely close to the transfer rate to the student body as a whole let alone compared to basketball players on scholarship?

And speaking of scholarships, due to my father's injuries in Vietnam, I was on a partial DAV scholarship at Marquette.  Did you know that if I transferred I had to reapply which probably meant a semester without a scholarship?  Oh the humanity that I could not transfer easily!  Those scumbag taxpayers!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:07:02 PM by MarquetteDano »

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #409 on: April 15, 2015, 07:20:43 AM »
Taxpayers had nothing to do with your DAV scholarship. The Disabled American Veterans is a private organization relying on fund raisers, corporate sponsorships and donations, much like the VFW, American Legion, USO and Wounded Warriors. I salute your father for his service and sacrifice.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #410 on: April 15, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
Taxpayers had nothing to do with your DAV scholarship. The Disabled American Veterans is a private organization relying on fund raisers, corporate sponsorships and donations, much like the VFW, American Legion, USO and Wounded Warriors. I salute your father for his service and sacrifice.

Good point.  What is confusing about it is that you have to submit tax related documents to them so it seems like a government entity.  But you are right, privately funded.

So I can blame them for my inability to transfer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #411 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »
Do you really think the transfer rate for those on non-athletic full scholarships is ANYWHERE remotely close to the transfer rate to the student body as a whole let alone compared to basketball players on scholarship?

Nope. I'm just one of those "stoopids" who thinks student-athletes should have at least the same transfer rights as coaches.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #412 on: April 15, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
Nope. I'm just one of those "stoopids" who thinks student-athletes should have at least the same transfer rights as coaches.

I don't disagree that coaches have all of the advantages and certainly can screw over the student athlete.  But I also don't want the complete anarchy that would ensue if you allowed student athletes to transfer anywhere and everywhere they want.  I think it is out of control now with the current limitations.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
I don't disagree that coaches have all of the advantages and certainly can screw over the student athlete.  But I also don't want the complete anarchy that would ensue if you allowed student athletes to transfer anywhere and everywhere they want.  I think it is out of control now with the current limitations.

We will have to agree to disagree on the anarchy part. After maybe an initial crazy year or two, things would settle down once all sides get used to new rules.

Mostly, the subject is merely an excuse to have these kinds of fun online conversations because immediate-eligibility transfers won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #414 on: April 15, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »
We will have to agree to disagree on the anarchy part. After maybe an initial crazy year or two, things would settle down once all sides get used to new rules.

Mostly, the subject is merely an excuse to have these kinds of fun online conversations because immediate-eligibility transfers won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.

Honest question, why would it settle down?  If you are free to move whenever, what is going to slow that down in a few years?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »

There would be anarchy -- not so much at the top, but in the middle to bottom schools.  Good-by Lehigh and hello Rodney Hood (imagine if he didnt have to sit out) to put it in Duke terms.  Can you imagine having your pick of the best players every year and not have to worry about them being a freshman?

I'm all for contingencies (i.e. Special circumstance consideration when the university goes on probation or a coach leaves) but free agency would make college a worse product and likely result in less competition and less revenue overall.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #416 on: April 15, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
There would be anarchy -- not so much at the top, but in the middle to bottom schools.  Good-by Lehigh and hello Rodney Hood (imagine if he didnt have to sit out) to put it in Duke terms.  Can you imagine having your pick of the best players every year and not have to worry about them being a freshman?

I'm all for contingencies (i.e. Special circumstance consideration when the university goes on probation or a coach leaves) but free agency would make college a worse product and likely result in less competition and less revenue overall.

I think there has to be a middle ground here, and this is it. If a coach leaves/is fired or circumstances change significantly at a school (probation, conference status), a player should be free to transfer without penalty.
If a kid just wants to get more PT, or be closer to home, or just doesn't like his first choice, then he can sit out a year.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 15, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
Honest question, why would it settle down?  If you are free to move whenever, what is going to slow that down in a few years?

I have to agree with this.  Without the year off, any kid who had a great year for a lower level school would look to move to a major program.  I don't think it would ever settle down.  You can argue whether or not that is a bad thing, but I think it would be constant.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 15, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
I think there has to be a middle ground here, and this is it. If a coach leaves/is fired or circumstances change significantly at a school (probation, conference status), a player should be free to transfer without penalty.
If a kid just wants to get more PT, or be closer to home, or just doesn't like his first choice, then he can sit out a year.
I agree with this as long as he does not follow the coach.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
Playing sports and receiving a scholarship are a privilege, not a right.  Certain rules go along with that privilege.  I have no problem with a rule requiring athletes to sit for a year.  "But the coaches..." Yeah well, life's not fair.

I would be in favor of stipends for athletes based on revenue generated by their sport.  Lightly televised sports (cross country, lacrosse, etc) get less than football and basketball players who are on TV more.  Their would need to be a lot of math done to arrive at what each figure would be, so I don't have a particular number in mind.

It might also be time update Title IX.  Keep the equal access to scholarships but add some addendums to work around any issues stipend inequality may cause.  Women basketball would make less than male basketball players but more than, say, track and field for both men and women.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #420 on: April 15, 2015, 03:52:11 PM »
I have to agree with this.  Without the year off, any kid who had a great year for a lower level school would look to move to a major program.  I don't think it would ever settle down.  You can argue whether or not that is a bad thing, but I think it would be constant.

Of course, only common sense.  Players would trade up as much as possible.  Not only that, the practice of Creaning \ buzz cutting would be even worse than it is now. 

It's just a horrible idea.  I get the notion, it makes people "feel good" because it sounds fair, but the unintended consequences are so damaging that is nullifies the idea completely. Izzo is dead on right.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »
Fellow Benilde St. Margaret's Red Knight alumnus Kyle Washington is transferring from NC State. 6'9", long talented F would sit a year then have two to play. Versatile offensive game not yet fully revealed to the college bball world. His shotblocking and d-rebound has, though.

He liked Marquette when his recruitment was in full swing.. would be a great add to the family.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
 Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 

Immediate Big Man Transfer Alert: Tomasz Gielo is graduating and leaving Liberty, source told ESPN. 6-9 and averaged 12 and 6 last year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Fellow Benilde St. Margaret's Red Knight alumnus Kyle Washington is transferring from NC State. 6'9", long talented F would sit a year then have two to play. Versatile offensive game not yet fully revealed to the college bball world. His shotblocking and d-rebound has, though.

He liked Marquette when his recruitment was in full swing.. would be a great add to the family.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wojo deepening his Minneapolis connections.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 15, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »

I might be wrong. Wouldn't even be my first time wrong today, especially if you asked my wife.

It still wouldn't bother me in the least as a college basketball fan if the kids had the same rights as their millionaire coaches do.