'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why A Wisconsin National Championship Would Be Good For College Basketball  (Read 18417 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The guys at Anonymous Eagle absolutely destroyed that article. Seriously, read this. It's pretty epic:

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2015/3/17/8228591/forbes-roger-groves-wisconsin-basketball-fire-joe-morgan-style-kaminsky-ryan-dekker-bucky
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
The guys at Anonymous Eagle absolutely destroyed that article. Seriously, read this. It's pretty epic:

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2015/3/17/8228591/forbes-roger-groves-wisconsin-basketball-fire-joe-morgan-style-kaminsky-ryan-dekker-bucky

Good stuff.  Can someone tweet the link to the original author?  I loved the B-Mad quote at the end.  Very well done.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
The Forbes article is laughable. Gotta get those white people in the seats!

I really don't care who wins the tournament, as long as Bucky loses
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player

This is a bad article and fitting with all of the delusion here.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Either Ryan Evans, Jordan Taylor, Rob Wilson are white, or that Boston Globe article is wrong.  

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/051812aaa.html

JD Wise: also white http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/badgers-men-s-basketball-high-bench-marks-for-dan-fahey/article_e2fbec4c-7a34-11e2-895f-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks for the info.  Looks like both articles are wrong on some levels.

GGGG

• All American
This is a bad article and fitting with all of the delusion here.

I don't think the Anonymous Eagle article is all that great, but you have to admit that Forbes article is REALLY odd.  I mean the whole "white basketball" thing is beyond insulting to everyone involved.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Some big fans of the response article

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/79066/Forbes-Article-Wisconsin-Insane-Marquette-Response

Breadtree is always an interesting guy in how he posts here vs there.....

brandx

Given the size of Bucky's endowment and these numbers, I shocked that Jesse Jackson has not tried to shake them down.

Maybe I'm speaking too early.

Cuz that what blacks do?

MarquetteDano

• All American
What would be good for college basketball is the following in the Final Four:
  • Kentucky (takes care of the blue blood)
  • A mid major conference team (Gonzaga?)
  • A small school that goes on a unlikely run (e.g. #7 seed or worse)
  • Another major conference school in the Top 10

And of the teams on that list hopefully differing styles of offense and defense.  Of course all three Final Four games close with Kentucky playing in the final.

That would be good for college basketball.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:33:42 AM by MarquetteDano »

ecompt

• All American
I love the moron who called the Big East Conference "second-rate." In no universe is their conference ahead of the Big East, unless of course you want to claim the number of schools who have been put on probation for various offenses.

MU82

• All American
Both articles had many mess-ups.

However, I do think it is noteworthy that in 2015, a mostly white team -- and Wisconsin goes all-white whenever Hayes leaves the floor -- is a legitimate title contender.

I don't know about advertisers, it being good for basketball, etc., but I do know that casual viewers (even non-racists!) do notice when they look up and see an all-white team on the floor, especially when that team happens to be one of the best few in the land.

As a former newspaper journalist, I really do think there is a story there. I'm not even exactly sure what it is, and it obviously would have to be carefully researched and written, but I do think it is interesting, both from the basketball perspective and the societal perspective (in other words, what do observers think).

I like any examination of the human condition that makes me think, and I would welcome a well-done article on this topic.

In a related opinion, I agree totally that Kentucky advancing to the title game would be best for the interest in this tournament. Either you want to see Kentucky make history or you want to see David slay Goliath. Either way, you need Kentucky.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:40:17 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Cuz that what blacks do?

Wow are you becoming unhinged ...

It's because that is what Jesse Jackson does.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Some big fans of the response article

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/79066/Forbes-Article-Wisconsin-Insane-Marquette-Response

Breadtree is always an interesting guy in how he posts here vs there.....

Always good for a laugh. My favorite part is how none of them actually dispute anything in the article. They just automatically go to "Marquette sucks." That being said, there were errors in the AE post, but it was still funny. Loved the vines
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
I love the moron who called the Big East Conference "second-rate." In no universe is their conference ahead of the Big East, unless of course you want to claim the number of schools who have been put on probation for various offenses.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-3-14-15-2015.html

The ratings below are household ratings from the 56 television markets with local Nielsen meters for Saturday March 14 and Sunday March 15, 2015. The 56 markets (out of 210 total) cover about 70% of the US television population.

College Basketball

Saturday
1.55 rating CBS 1:00 pm Big Ten Semifinal: Purdue vs #6-Wisconsin
1.90 rating CBS 3:30 pm Big Ten Semifinal: Michigan State vs #8-Maryland
1.20 rating CBS 6:00 pm Mountain West Championship: Wyoming vs San Diego State
1.55 rating ESPN 1:00 pm SEC Semifinal: Auburn vs #1-Kentucky
0.94 rating ESPN 3:00 pm SEC Semifinal: Georgia vs #21-Arkansas
1.59 rating ESPN 6:00 pm Big 12 Championship: #13-Iowa State vs #9-Kansas
2.31 rating ESPN 8:30 pm ACC Championship: #19-North Carolina vs #11-Notre Dame
1.13 rating ESPN 11:00 pm PAC-12 Championship: Oregon vs #5-Arizona
0.28 rating FS1 8:00 pm Big East Championship: Xavier vs #4-Villanova

Sunday
1.20 rating CBS 1:00 pm Atlantic 10 Championship: VCU vs Dayton
2.63 rating CBS 3:30 pm Big Ten Championship: Michigan State vs #6-Wisconsin
1.95 rating ESPN 1:00 pm SEC Championship: #21-Arkansas vs #1-Kentucky
1.25 rating ESPN 3:15 pm AAC Championship: UConn vs #20-SMU

3.86 rating CBS 6:00 NCAA Tournament Selection Show

GGGG

• All American
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-3-14-15-2015.html

The ratings below are household ratings from the 56 television markets with local Nielsen meters for Saturday March 14 and Sunday March 15, 2015. The 56 markets (out of 210 total) cover about 70% of the US television population.

College Basketball

Saturday

Sunday

And?  The value of a conference isn't based on their television ratings.  And of course the ratings are smaller on FS1.

**Smaller schools with smaller alumni bases
**FS1 isn't a "destination" like ESPN for viewers
**It was a bad game.

The conference is fine...you know...on the basketball court.  Where it matters.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:53:50 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

cheebs09

• All American
The Badgers have their best team ever, and the day before the tournament starts breadtree is over here debating TV ratings. We aren't a rival though.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
(Some irrelevant crap about TV ratings)

Second-rate conference doesn't mean ratings. It means how good the conference is.

NCAA RPI Conference Ratings:

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) Big 10
5) SEC

Pomeroy Conference Ratings:

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) SEC
5) Big 10

Sagarin Conference Ratings

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) Big 10
4) ACC
5) SEC

Massey Conference Ratings

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) Big 10
5) SEC

If you'd like, I can keep going. Quite simply, your conference isn't as good as ours is. Your big, bad, Big Tweleventeen might have more teams and (1) more bid, but in terms of team for team value, the Big East is better. The only way the Big East is a "second-rate conference" is in that we are the second-rated conference by EVERYONE. Does that make the Big 10 a mid-major? No. But your league is still behind our league.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

College Basketball

Saturday

Sunday

Pretty sure KenPom, Sagarin, RPI and others all say the Big East is better than the Big Ten this year.  TV ratings....wait, you're saying Big Ten schools with the largest student bodies and alumni bases in the country outperform small, Catholic, private universities on TV?  OMG.  I believe I have truly learned something today....15+ years in the television industry and never would have known this....thank you so much.

You also realize that one major provider, AT&T, doesn't have the game on due to a carriage dispute which impacted the TV ratings numbers...of course you did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Second-rate conference doesn't mean ratings. It means how good the conference is.

NCAA RPI Conference Ratings:

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) Big 10
5) SEC

Pomeroy Conference Ratings:

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) SEC
5) Big 10

Sagarin Conference Ratings

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) Big 10
4) ACC
5) SEC

Massey Conference Ratings

1) Big 12
2) Big East
3) ACC
4) Big 10
5) SEC

If you'd like, I can keep going. Quite simply, your conference isn't as good as ours is. Your big, bad, Big Tweleventeen might have more teams and (1) more bid, but in terms of team for team value, the Big East is better. The only way the Big East is a "second-rate conference" is in that we are the second-rated conference by EVERYONE. Does that make the Big 10 a mid-major? No. But your league is still behind our league.

60% of the Big East made the dance....Big Televen less.    I suppose they think the Horizon league was the 2nd best league in the country when Butler went to the Final Four, but that's essentially what the would be saying.  Big East 7-5 vs the Big 14 this year....legends....leaders....

When I saw this photo, I had to ask myself if they photo shopped anyone in as they have had to do in the past.....

mu-rara

• All American

However, I don't think many white people say "Man, I would really get into this more if more of the players were white."

I also don't think many people, regardless of race, say "I love watching this Wisconsin team.  They are so methodical!"
C'mon Sultan.  You're from that part of the world.  There are a lot of Badger fans who are not so closeted racists.  They live outside Dane County with their bretheran.

brandx

Big East 7-5 vs the Big 14 this year....legends....leaders....

Meaningless. The Big East was 1-7 against the top half (top 7 teams) of the Big 10.

I often disagree with ratings and this is just one more case. I've thought the BE was overrated all year. Maybe it's partly because I been spoiled by the quality of the old BE where it really was one of the top conferences every year.

Unlike most, I will give a prediction - the BE will not have the 2nd best record among Conferences after this weekend. I see Villanova and mediocrity.

If I'm wrong, feel free to come back and let me know I was wrong.

I welcome any other predictions. The BE has the possibility of 12 wins this weekend. How many will they get?

JWags85

• All American

Unlike most, I will give a prediction - the BE will not have the 2nd best record among Conferences after this weekend. I see Villanova and mediocrity.

Kind of like Wisconsin and mediocrity in the B10?  Maryland is better than any other BE team, but Iowa, MSU, OSU, Purdue?  I'd be comfortable with GT, Butler, or even Xavier over any of them.

3 of those 7 losses were Marquette in their worst season in 20 years, and another was GT in a coin flip game against Wisconsin, hardly representative of conference dominance.

brandx

Kind of like Wisconsin and mediocrity in the B10?  Maryland is better than any other BE team, but Iowa, MSU, OSU, Purdue?  I'd be comfortable with GT, Butler, or even Xavier over any of them.

3 of those 7 losses were Marquette in their worst season in 20 years, and another was GT in a coin flip game against Wisconsin, hardly representative of conference dominance.

All of the conferences are top heavy. But the BE only has 1 clear quality team (like the Pac 12), the ACC has 4, the Big 10 has 3 (if B. dawson is healthy).

So, you got any predictions for the weekend?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Meaningless. The Big East was 1-7 against the top half (top 7 teams) of the Big 10.

Okay, someone must be using that new math, because I'm not sure it's possible for the Big East to be 7-5 vs the Big 10 and 1-7 against the top half. Also, three of those top half losses came from our second-last place team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Okay, someone must be using that new math, because I'm not sure it's possible for the Big East to be 7-5 vs the Big 10 and 1-7 against the top half. Also, three of those top half losses came from our second-last place team.

LOL