[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: FTC Says DTV Is Squirmy  (Read 10118 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:18:51 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: FTC Says DTV Is Squirmy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »
Glad I'm not there anymore, but knowing how they do business the FTC will lose this gripe.

There are so many lawyers that make sure everything is disclosed to the hilt, including recording conversations (legally) with customers to confirm the understand exactly what was told to them. 

I wouldn't be sweating this one iota if I were them, they go hell bent to make sure they are covered. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:06 AM »
Glad I'm not there anymore, but knowing how they do business the FTC will lose this gripe.

There are so many lawyers that make sure everything is disclosed to the hilt, including recording conversations (legally) with customers to confirm the understand exactly what was told to them. 

I wouldn't be sweating this one iota if I were them, they go hell bent to make sure they are covered. 

I will say that DTV does try to perform false advertising as I caught them in it recently. 

An example.

They have promotions where you receive a prepaid debit card for signing up for service.  If you call (don't go online) there is no notification that you must fill out and send in a rebate form within the first 60 days.  If you call they simply tell you it takes 8 weeks for delivery (56 days).  After waiting 9 weeks for my card I called and was told that I failed to send in the rebate form.  After telling them, I was never told of a rebate they attempted to do as you say, we have all conversations recorded.

I demanded a copy of the recording knowing they never disclosed this information.  I received my card within a week.  This is not an unusual occurrence.

Very important caveat.  This is not a DTV issue (they are actually better than most), it is a corporation issue in general, where they use intentionally deceptive practices to trap consumers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:18:27 AM »
I will say that DTV does try to perform false advertising as I caught them in it recently. 

An example.

They have promotions where you receive a prepaid debit card for signing up for service.  If you call (don't go online) there is no notification that you must fill out and send in a rebate form within the first 60 days.  If you call they simply tell you it takes 8 weeks for delivery (56 days).  After waiting 9 weeks for my card I called and was told that I failed to send in the rebate form.  After telling them, I was never told of a rebate they attempted to do as you say, we have all conversations recorded.

I demanded a copy of the recording knowing they never disclosed this information.  I received my card within a week.  This is not an unusual occurrence.

Very important caveat.  This is not a DTV issue (they are actually better than most), it is a corporation issue in general, where they use intentionally deceptive practices to trap consumers.

Looks to me like it clearly says 8 to 12 weeks. 

https://d1m3sbz3zpf9z8.cloudfront.net/PDF/361-119/form1.pdf

I would be SHOCKED if they didn't read you the statement about the rebate because basically they record every call and it's all scripted in their legal closing.  If an agent doesn't do that, they get fired.  It's not worth it for them to pull every recording all the time, so I'm sure they just processed it which looks to me was withing the 8 to 12 week window anyway.  At any rate, they record this stuff all the time and for the FTC they absolutely will produce 100's of thousands of recordings if need be.

I was never part of that particular process anyway and never would be....I was on the programming side with the sports leagues, premiums, etc, and ran the P&L for those businesses, but after early hiccups years ago when the company did get into trouble for not being upfront, they took enormous steps to make sure it didn't happen again. 

Either way, I read thoroughly whatever companies are selling to me, including confirmation information sent to me if phone ordered. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »
Looks to me like it clearly says 8 to 12 weeks. 

https://d1m3sbz3zpf9z8.cloudfront.net/PDF/361-119/form1.pdf

I would be SHOCKED if they didn't read you the statement about the rebate because basically they record every call and it's all scripted in their legal closing.  If an agent doesn't do that, they get fired.  It's not worth it for them to pull every recording all the time, so I'm sure they just processed it which looks to me was withing the 8 to 12 week window anyway.  At any rate, they record this stuff all the time and for the FTC they absolutely will produce 100's of thousands of recordings if need be.

I was never part of that particular process anyway and never would be....I was on the programming side with the sports leagues, premiums, etc, and ran the P&L for those businesses, but after early hiccups years ago when the company did get into trouble for not being upfront, they took enormous steps to make sure it didn't happen again. 

Either way, I read thoroughly whatever companies are selling to me, including confirmation information sent to me if phone ordered. 

The manager admitted the phone conversation didn't contain any of the information about a form and that the operator indeed said that the card would arrive in 6-8 weeks and that I didn't need to do anything else.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:22:13 AM »

The only problem with that is the FTC is the one who has to approve their merger. DTV will pay to settle in advance of that approval to push it through. Write off the settlement in the merger. ATT doesn't want that liability on the books. And certainly, the FTC has the grounds to make that ruling, and now to delay a merger worth billions.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
I still get weekly mailings to try to get me back.  Most try to appear as though they're personal letters with pseudo-handwritten font and the return address listing a person and appearing residential.  They still get tossed in the recycling, never to be opened.  Lame.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
These companies are just frauds. I don't know why anyone would give them any of their money, even if they can afford it. I really don't.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »
Here's the first comment (at the present moment):

The only gripe I have about Directv was when I initially called up to subscribe to their service, the rep offered me a package which I already knew I wanted.  But she also offered me a bundle service to link tv with the internet to have it all under one price.  When the installers got to my house, they were basically done setting everything up when the installer called the customer service rep to finish the installation.  The rep stated to me that the bundle service was not offered in my area.  I asked than how come the initial rep stated clearly that it was offered in my area hence the reason why I moved forward with the whole process.  And another hidden cost that the initial rep failed to mention was that in order to have another receiver in a seperate room, that would be an additional charge which again, the initial rep failed to mention.  So after everything was said & done, I had 2 seperate incidents that I was forced to pay more for.  Since the satellite & boxes were already set up & I already had cancelled my cable service, I moved forward with the Directv.  So basically the initial rep lied about the bundle service being provided in my area.  Now I still have seperate bills for cable & satellite. Good thing I called after the second month to remove the premium channels that were initially free for the first 3 months.

Why do people put up with this? Seriously? Or better yet, is there anyone under the age of 50 who is putting up with this?

Boomer industries (the housing market, cable companies) are in for a rude awakening when penny pinching millennials get older and boomers start to fade away.

Open up a few magazines, get an audible account, go for a walk in the woods. Jesus, people in this country are addicted to screens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
The manager admitted the phone conversation didn't contain any of the information about a form and that the operator indeed said that the card would arrive in 6-8 weeks and that I didn't need to do anything else.

Just a question, the manager who you called later said that the original phone conversation didn't contain information about the form?  I only ask because the calls are all archived, there would be no way for an on floor manager to pull that up.  That's done separately by a QC group and legal compliance group. 

At any rate, glad your check was processed. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »

Boomer industries (the housing market, cable companies) are in for a rude awakening when penny pinching millennials get older and boomers start to fade away.

Open up a few magazines, get an audible account, go for a walk in the woods. Jesus, people in this country are addicted to screens.

People are addicted to screens and entertainment. Those Boomer industries are buying up those next gen industries that millenials are going to.  Follow the money.

Will magazines even exist in another 10 years? 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
Finally pulled the DTV plug this week, and gave into the another big bad company for cable, Comcast.  Their bundle with internet, which has been just fine for me for 2+ years, is the same price, as just satellite service with DTV.  Asked DTV to give me their best offer, and it was still 30% higher than the Comcast bundle.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
The only problem with that is the FTC is the one who has to approve their merger. DTV will pay to settle in advance of that approval to push it through. Write off the settlement in the merger. ATT doesn't want that liability on the books. And certainly, the FTC has the grounds to make that ruling, and now to delay a merger worth billions.

FTC has Zero role in the merger.

The FCC and DOJ do.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »

The FCC and DOJ do.

Wrong.  Anti-trust across states, my man.  Worked with them on four mergers. Being in a very monopolistic market, DTV spokesman shouldn't be so antogonistic. Words of advice for your brethren. Different ballgame now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
Wrong.  Anti-trust across states, my man.  Worked with them on four mergers. Being in a very monopolistic market, DTV spokesman shouldn't be so antogonistic. Words of advice for your brethren. Different ballgame now.

FCC and DOJ are the only two agencies left to rule on the merger.  Not the FTC.  This will not effect the merger, though I have no doubt people will bloviate as if it does.  They have no agency jurisdictional review of any kind in the process at this point.

DTV spokesman isn't being antognostic, he's pushing back as he should. Darris, the spokesperson, might be one of the most docile people I have ever met.  There isn't an antognostic bone in his body.  He's a smart PR guy, however.  As I stated, they record literally millions of calls every year and I guarantee they will be able to show without a doubt that customers are made aware of the one year promotional price followed by the second year the promotion changes.  Those calls will show people agreeing that they understand the offer, etc.  

Now, the question becomes how much they think in the long run it is worth fighting vs paying to make stuff go away.  Mike White doesn't like to be accused of something he didn't do would be my guess, but he's a shrewd political character as well.  We'll see, but I doubt they are sweating it as they are meticulous about sales processes.  They weren't years ago and got burned, so they made many changes as a result.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:25:49 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:27:56 PM »
Finally pulled the DTV plug this week, and gave into the another big bad company for cable, Comcast.  Their bundle with internet, which has been just fine for me for 2+ years, is the same price, as just satellite service with DTV.  Asked DTV to give me their best offer, and it was still 30% higher than the Comcast bundle.

Well, they need it, that's for sure.  Comcast has been losing video subs for a long time.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:32:05 PM »
Just a question, the manager who you called later said that the original phone conversation didn't contain information about the form?  I only ask because the calls are all archived, there would be no way for an on floor manager to pull that up.  That's done separately by a QC group and legal compliance group.  

At any rate, glad your check was processed.  

No idea, how it all came down.  Just know I talked to the manager, demanded a copy of the phone conversation and he told me they would get back to me.  Around 3 days later said manager returned a call, apologized and said the card had already been sent out.

I will say that there was a problem.  They made a mistake, but they quickly remedied it. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:35:02 PM by forgetful »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
Let me help you. The FTC is on your arse:

DirecTV is America's largest satellite TV network and has over 20 million subscribers. Complicating the matter DirecTV is undergoing a $49 billion (yes, that's billion, with a "B") merger with AT&T. DirecTV is obviously refuting these charges by the FTC, but this is only the first step in what may be a long, ongoing ordeal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
Let me help you. The FTC is on your arse:

Why do you say my arse?  I don't work for them.

DOJ has already approved the merger.  The only one left is the FCC....expected in a few months. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:48 PM »
Why do you say my arse?  I don't work for them.

DOJ has already approved the merger.  The only one left is the FCC....expected in a few months. 

Share holder, no?

California squirmy:  http://phys.org/news/2015-03-high-court-directv-appeal-termination.html

FCC, the FTC sister Agency, issues Merger Pause Order:  http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/18/could-the-ftcs-directv-lawsuit-hurt-att.aspx

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »
Share holder, no?

California squirmy:  http://phys.org/news/2015-03-high-court-directv-appeal-termination.html

FCC, the FTC sister Agency, issues Merger Pause Order:  http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/18/could-the-ftcs-directv-lawsuit-hurt-att.aspx

Supreme Court is going to hear the review....let's decide what's squirmy when the court decides.

Shareholder...yes....of both companies as well as a number of other telecom companies.

FTC....not having one issue with merger.  It's on pause because of the DISH lawsuit that wants to open up all the deals of who pays what to the public...so both Comcast and AT&T deals are temporarily on pause. http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/fcc-comcast-twc-merger-att-directv-1201452357/   

The FTC has zero bearing in this.  

You just as easily could have copied this link

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/17/us-at-t-directv-idUSKBN0MD25Y20150317

More ringing endorsements....this one from the AFL-CIO...yes, you heard that right.  

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-opinion/article/Letter-AT-T-DirecTV-merger-would-mean-more-6148889.php

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
Supreme Court is going to hear the review....let's decide what's squirmy when the court decides.

Shareholder...yes....of both companies as well as a number of other telecom companies.

FTC....not having one issue with merger.  It's on pause because of the DISH lawsuit that wants to open up all the deals of who pays what to the public...so both Comcast and AT&T deals are temporarily on pause. http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/fcc-comcast-twc-merger-att-directv-1201452357/   

The FTC has zero bearing in this.  

You just as easily could have copied this link

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/17/us-at-t-directv-idUSKBN0MD25Y20150317

More ringing endorsements....this one from the AFL-CIO...yes, you heard that right.  

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-opinion/article/Letter-AT-T-DirecTV-merger-would-mean-more-6148889.php

Ultimately, I do think the deal gets approved by the US as the anti-trust case isn't all the way there here. This deal is about LatAm for ATT mostly as I understand it which is clear saliling.  However, the FTC and FCC will take some money out of the hide of this merger because of these lawsuits. The California case and the FTC ruling were both unanimous after all. The pause order is there for a reason.  There is money to be made by all sorts of lawyers and this will end in a settlement taking money out of your pocket. You underestimate the FTC's ability to look good to the general public while working through other agencies, while also making a statement for the record about monopolistic markets.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 11:03:59 PM »
Ultimately, I do think the deal gets approved by the US as the anti-trust case isn't all the way there here. This deal is about LatAm for ATT mostly as I understand it which is clear saliling.  However, the FTC and FCC will take some money out of the hide of this merger because of these lawsuits. The California case and the FTC ruling were both unanimous after all. The pause order is there for a reason.  There is money to be made by all sorts of lawyers and this will end in a settlement taking money out of your pocket. You underestimate the FTC's ability to look good to the general public while working through other agencies, while also making a statement for the record about monopolistic markets.

Do you realize how often the courts out here get turned over unanimously by real adults? 

Yes, I can understand the FTC's stance and political grandstanding.  A merger about to happen, let's make some hay and look like we're doing something...it's the Elliott Spitzer idea of good governance.  DTV will fight it hard...I've spoke to a few of my buds over there and I've never seen them this confident.  They are pissed, to put it mildly. Now maybe at the end of the day writing a check for $20M or whatever is easier than dragging it on, but right now they know they can defend themselves to the hilt on this.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »

The FCC and DOJ do.

Not sure that's correct. I was involved in the ATT/TMO merger and FTC was very much involved.

Death on call

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
I still get weekly mailings to try to get me back.  Most try to appear as though they're personal letters with pseudo-handwritten font and the return address listing a person and appearing residential.  They still get tossed in the recycling, never to be opened.  Lame.

The new method last week was to mail with a window envelope that looks like it's a check.  Next I expect them to use Amazon envelopes.   ::)