[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIT final in 1995  (Read 3137 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
NIT final in 1995
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:00:13 PM »
I'm purging a boatload of old video tapes from the garage and converting over to DVD once and for all.  I'm watching the NIT Final tonight...wow was that an offensive machine.   ;D  It's 16-16 and almost halftime right now (3:30 to play), and that with a lot of decent interior players (McCaskill, Abrams) and good guards (Hutch, Pieper, Miller) along with Eford and Crawford playing on the wing.

At halftime they had an interview with Georgia's new coach....Tubby Smith.  Time flies.

I found a bunch of the old NIT run in the garage...good times.  Mike Deane looked like he had 5 heart attacks that week.  The foul at the end of the South Florida game at the MECCA still may be one of the worst fouls I've ever seen call (no exaggeration).  Wow.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:07:23 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: NIT final in 1995
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
I'm a younger guy (mid-20's) and have been following Marquette for 10 years (started going to games and becoming a fan the last year of the Deane era).

Any chance I can get my hands on some old footage? I'd love to see some games from a little earlier in Deano's tenure.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
I'll never forget that run, I was 9 at the time and was crushed after Ace Custis hit those free throws.

That being said, the USF game at the Arena is in my top 5 games I've attended. What an atmosphere that night.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:41:58 PM »
As great as the atmosphere has been at the BC in recent years, the Mecca during that South Florida game was the best crowd I've ever seen.  That place is just perfect for basketball, and the BC can't compare it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »
I'll never forget that run, I was 9 at the time and was crushed after Ace Custis hit those free throws.

That being said, the USF game at the Arena is in my top 5 games I've attended. What an atmosphere that night.

Actually it was Sean Smith that hit the two game winning free throws.  We were 6 of 16 from the line, that's where we lost it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:28:21 AM »
As great as the atmosphere has been at the BC in recent years, the Mecca during that South Florida game was the best crowd I've ever seen.  That place is just perfect for basketball, and the BC can't compare it.

Yup, I found that game in the garage as well...playing New York, NY at the end was a nice touch...good job VC!!!

MarquetteDano

• All American
USF game
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:14:07 AM »
I concur... that South Florida game was the loudest crowd I have ever been a part of.  Too cool at the end of the game playing "New York, New York" with Hutchins doing the "Can Can" on the scorer's table... the place just went nuts!

- Dano'
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:42:48 AM by MarquetteDano »

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:49:29 AM »
Didn't Pieper narrowly miss about a half-court shot at the end of regulation that would have won the tourney for MU?
GO WARRIORS!

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »
The younger fans may not remeber the game as well as some of us older guys...MU '92...does that make me old?   Anyways while Ace Custis was the player everyone remebers the player that many of us will never forget is Shawn Smith who hit the FT's.   Speaking of bad calls maybe the worst call I have ever seen if I recall to allow VT to get the game to OT was the block that was call on Peiper.  Despite a perfect helpside slide into position adn what had to to be a full second of being set before contact a block was called on Pieper.  Simply a terrible terrible game changing call.  I have it on VHS too.  never been watched but I remeber those two plays like yesterday. 

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
That was a GREAT run to the NIT Final, led by freshman Hutchins, who hadn't really played much the entire season. Tons of fun to watch those games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »
Didn't Pieper narrowly miss about a half-court shot at the end of regulation that would have won the tourney for MU?

Yes, he missed about a 40 footer that was dead straight but hit the front of the rim.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
Shawn Smith... sure enough. If I remember right, Faisal bit on a pump fake and got him.

Doesn't seem like a big deal now but damn that game hurt at the time.

Looking back on that team it still amazes me they didn't make the tournament. Pieper, McCaskill, Eford, Crawford, Miller, Abraham all were pretty good ballplayers.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »
you said it, we were 'loaded'!  I can see why we had the successes we did, and am surprised we didn't go further.
also, strongly concur w/BMA, the arena was an outstanding Bball forum.  If only it held more fans, we'd be playing there still.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
i remember that run well. man that was a ton of fun. hadn't even moved to nyc yet at the time and was stunned to see how many of the older fans in the arena remembered al and the great mu teams from the glory days.

any chance some of those games could be posted somewhere here?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: USF game
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
I concur... that South Florida game was the loudest crowd I have ever been a part of.  Too cool at the end of the game playing "New York, New York" with Hutchins doing the "Can Can" on the scorer's table... the place just went nuts!

- Dano'

I remember that night...it was cold and rainy. My brother from CA was at MU on a college visit. We ran to the lake...got the pics still...what memories!
SS Marquette

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
I love this because I've never seen MU at the MECCA and my impressions as relates to basketball are the exact opposite. I only went to one game there, a UWM-SLU game in 2005 with MUfan12 and some friends from hs who went to SLU.

It was like college basketball bizarro world. UWM Student Section on Choir risers. Tables like for some comedy club set up on the other end. MAYBE 2,000 fans there. Weird.

Had my gold 2003 Final Four t-shirt on, and some UWM old crotchety guy tapped me on the shoulder, pointed to those banners and said something to the effect of "You see those banners? hehehehe." I merely responded, "You are aware that the sport of basketball existed BEFORE 2003, right?"

He didn't bother us the rest of the game.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »
I love this because I've never seen MU at the MECCA and my impressions as relates to basketball are the exact opposite. I only went to one game there, a UWM-SLU game in 2005 with MUfan12 and some friends from hs who went to SLU.

It was like college basketball bizarro world. UWM Student Section on Choir risers. Tables like for some comedy club set up on the other end. MAYBE 2,000 fans there. Weird.

Had my gold 2003 Final Four t-shirt on, and some UWM old crotchety guy tapped me on the shoulder, pointed to those banners and said something to the effect of "You see those banners? hehehehe." I merely responded, "You are aware that the sport of basketball existed BEFORE 2003, right?"

He didn't bother us the rest of the game.

Did the old crotchety guy have a goatee, a bowtie and go by a name that rhymes with afghan, ann, anne, bagman, ban, barman, batman, bedpan, began, brainpan, bran, can, cancan, cayenne, chessman, cheyenne, clan, corban, dan, deadman, deadpan, deskman, diane, dishpan, divan, doorman, dustpan, earthman, fan, flagman, foreran, fortran, fran, free-man, frogman, hangman, hardpan, he-man, iceman, jan, japan, keyman, khan, klan, kneepan, koran, lawman, legman, madman, mailman, man, milkman, newsman, oilcan, outran, packman, pan, pecan, pitchman, plan, postman, preplan, pressman, prolan, propman, ran, rattan, reran, sampan, sandman, saran, saucepan, scan, sedan, sideman, snowman, spaceman, span, spokane, stan, stockman, strongman, stuntman, sudan, suntan, suzanne, tan, tarzan, than, toucan, trackman, unman, van, wingspan, woodman, yardman

feedback