Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take a step back  (Read 18309 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Take a step back
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
We've got three players who I am very comfortable with starting next season: Duane, Henry, Luke

That leaves us with

PG: ?
SG: Duane
SF: ?
PF: Henry
C: Luke

Right now we have 1 player who can truly play the 1...and he's the second lowest ranked freshman in our class. Getting Carter is a great start but unless he is an absolute stud, we need to find a juco or grad transfer to fill in that position.

The SF I'm less worried about. Between Wally, Cohen, Cheatham, JjJ, and Anim we have 5 players who can play the position. Hopefully one of them step up and becomes a consistent starter for us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »
Wow! Can't we celebrate and fell good for at least a day before being reminded a glass half full is also half empty? Glad none of you guys are my parent, teacher, coach, girlfriend...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
Y'all, it's great to get a woody right now. And I'm a huge (see what I did there?) Wojo backer, but remember the cat has tons of playin' time to sell these recruits. If Steve can reel the big fishes when the classes are stacked, then we're goin' Uptown, ai na?
Not sure what you did there. Are you saying you got a huge woody?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
No steps back. I won't do it. You can't make me.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »

Hey lets enjoy every sandwich,  these guys didn't just fall in our laps.  Wojo and staff put in much time and hard work getting this done.   Now is the time to celebrate,  there will be plenty of time to hand wring later.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »
I will never step back!

There would have to be serious change to my brain chemistry before I could even think of doing that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
There would have to be serious change to my brain chemistry before I could even think of doing that.
Not to mention the change to your brain afterward. How that dude lived is beyond me.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »
We've got three players who I am very comfortable with starting next season: Duane, Henry, Luke

That leaves us with

PG: ?
SG: Duane
SF: ?
PF: Henry
C: Luke

Right now we have 1 player who can truly play the 1...and he's the second lowest ranked freshman in our class. Getting Carter is a great start but unless he is an absolute stud, we need to find a juco or grad transfer to fill in that position.

The SF I'm less worried about. Between Wally, Cohen, Cheatham, JjJ, and Anim we have 5 players who can play the position. Hopefully one of them step up and becomes a consistent starter for us.

Ya I'm not too worried about our situation at the 3. While it's not ideal, if no one fully takes the job we can kinda ride the hot hand a bit and with 5 options hopefully someone is feeling good each game. There is also the chance that we roll 3 bigs into the lineup especially if we get a JUCO rebounder.

I'd like a grad transfer to help at PG that's about all that is really needed.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »
The best part about this class is there are 4 quality players surrounding Ellenson.  It is very doubtful that Henry is back for his sophomore year but Wojo has built a strong foundation regardless.

And before anyone accuses me of putting too much pressure on the young man, below is the top source for NBA Draft info:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

I'm just planning accordingly, as I would imagine is Wojo.

I think Henry is back his Sophomore year.  The adjustment will be bigger than folks think.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
I think Henry is back his Sophomore year.  The adjustment will be bigger than folks think.

What's the LA word 'bout #5 boltin' for the Association after the season?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:44:22 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
In the words of the great QB. R-E-L-A-X.

Parts of this will work out better.  Other parts not so much. Let's enjoy the ride.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
Marquette will be a very good tournament team next year with Steve, JJJ, Luke and the great Duane leading the freshmen. I say 1 tourney win.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »
Look at the positive.  Wojo has recriuted a lot if height and talent.  Marquette will be a very competitive team next year.  We should be excited.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
Look at the positive.  Wojo has recriuted a lot if height and talent.  Marquette will be a very competitive team next year.  We should be excited.

Another way to look at it....its not like our HS retention rate can get worse than Buzz/this year.  Its time to be optimistic again as opposed to hand wringing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:40 PM »

What's the LA word 'bout #5 boltin' for the Association after the season?

UCLA is barely on the radar this season....apathetic L.A. to be honest with you.  Four McDonald's All Americans and they have struggled for most of the season.  The Kentucky loss and a few others really buried the "faithful".

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
4 mc doubles with cheese?

Let's hope Wojo gets it figured out. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
I think Henry is back his Sophomore year.  The adjustment will be bigger than folks think.

I agree with you. The only positive for next season is will have more players and as much as I admire Derrick other teams won't be able to play 5 on 4 as I believe the others will be better scorers than Derrick. At least I hope so.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
I think next year hinges on the development of two returning players:  Taylor and Johnson.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »
I think next year hinges on the development of two returning players:  Taylor and Johnson.

Usually you're only as good as your seniors are or want to be.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

OrangeGreenGolden

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »

Agree 100% with this. To much stock is being put into this Freshman class. Great class for the future of the program don't get me wrong, but good teams are built around returning players not incoming freshman. We have seen this recently with higher ranked recruits (other than Ellenson), in Deonte, JJJ, and even Duane as a redshirt and Luke as a sophomore, than we have coming in this year. Lets focus on JJJ and Steve improving instead of Cheatham/Anim or Heldt passing them up. Freshman are FRESHMAN.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »

Why in the world should we expect a player with Henry's resume (USA Basketball) who is projected to go 6th, to come back?  
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »

Why in the world should we expect a player with Henry's resume (USA Basketball) who is projected to go 6th, to come back?  

Just my feeling, nothing more.  I think he's here two years.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
I think Henry and Wally play together for two years.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »

Let's see what NBA types are saying about Henry next January or, better yet, a year from right now.

And believe it or not, some guys stay in college because - egads! -- they are enjoying their college experience.

My gut says two years, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
The Harrison twins at Kentucky were projected lottery picks before they ever played a game in college.  Two years later, draftexpress.com has Andrew projected to go 51 and Aaron not even drafted in their latest mock.  I'm as excited about Henry as everyone else but let's wait for him to at least arrive on campus before we start planning his departure.

feedback