[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Johnnie Lacy  (Read 3820 times)

bma725

• All American
Johnnie Lacy
« on: November 24, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
I know people were asking where we stood with Lacy a few weeks ago, there's an article on Lacy up on JSOnline now, and he says MU is his leader. 

Marquette already has offered Lacy a scholarship and he said it is the front-runner, but Purdue, Tennessee, Miami, Wisconsin and Iowa State also have shown interest.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=689607

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
Re: Johnnie Lacy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
would be nice to see him in the blue and gold... i just wonder if he is still going to want to come with TT coming in now... shouldnt be a problem though because we play a 4 guard set sometimes anyways so im sure we got room for him and some more.... to bad Iman didnt see that
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:47:08 AM »
Lacy and TT would compliment each other.  I like the speed.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:11 AM »
Lacy would be a good get but by my count we will have 3 schollies to give in 2009, (assuming DJ leaves the team at the end of 2007-2008 season).   Erik Williams already has committed, so that is two still open.  If I were Crean, I would continue to strengthen the front line and make Jamil Wilson and Erik Murphy the high priorities with some other big men (perhaps a 5) as fall back positions.  From what I can tell, our point guard spot seems pretty well set, at least through the end of 2011. 

I know somebody is going to post as a response how Crean never wants to be caught short point guards again after what happened to the team when Diener got hurt.  Well my response to that is 1) we will have a year or two after 2009 to recruit some more point guards and 2) I think we are one solid big away from being a final four team this year. Crean should feel the same about being caught short quality bigs now as he did getting caught short quality guards a couple years ago.   Give us that Yugoslav dude who plays for Chaminade (or any other halfway decent quality big) and we would be top-5 ranked right now. 

muball

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:48:41 AM »
Agree we need some players that can play in the paint and post. One could say the 3 amigos shortcomings in shooting has been exploited more without a strong offensive post player. Think how effective they would be without a post scorer. Ooze's developement also could have been impacted some.  The last two classes have had more balance and we should continue that trend.

4everwarriors

• All American
5' 10" Guards...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 10:21:14 AM »
are not players we need now. If Maui showed you anything, its MU has no answer for a player like Singler. Crean should concentrate his efforts on recruiting a dominant frontcourt.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
No question that Jamil Wilson will be a priority for one spot.  The other should be used for frontcourt depth at the 4 or 5.  Will only have Mbakwe and Otule to go with Hayward.  Need one more.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
If i had an ideal class right now it would be Erik Williams (obviously because that is already set) Jamil Wilson, and Erik Murphy that would be a good mix of size and it would also fill in the gaps that the current team has now.

however after saying this i dont think MU is going to be able to get both Murphy and Wilson. Maybe one or the other but both would be huge. but i feel chances are we are prolly going to miss out on one of them if not both of them so we need a solid back up plan and i think Lacy would be our option 1A to fill one of those spots
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:07:10 PM »
Lacy sounds similar to Korie Lucious minus the hype.  I've only seen Lucious play. Anyone who has seen both care to comment on a comparison?  Both seem like undersized combo guards who look to score first and are lightning quick. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 04:53:59 PM »
Lacy sounds similar to Korie Lucious minus the hype.  I've only seen Lucious play. Anyone who has seen both care to comment on a comparison?  Both seem like undersized combo guards who look to score first and are lightning quick. 

They are similar in build and style, Lucious is probably a bit better shooter, but Lacy is a better passer IMO.  Part of that may be from playing with better players at Bay View that Lucious has at Pius.  At Pius Lucious is the show and has the freedom to do whatever he wants, Lacy had other good HS guards around him like Shane Woods and Dwight Buycks both of whom were upper classmen and had the ball more on offense. 

As for the hype, Lacy doesn't have it, but opinion on him is moving in the opposite direction of the way the thoughts on Lucious went.  Korie was touted as the best player in the country as an 8th grader and a top 20 guy until the summer after his sophomore year.  Now, he's not even in anyone's top 30, barely in some of the top 100 rankings, and even unranked in a couple.  Lacy on the other hand is climbing, is ranked higher than Lucious by most of the services...and given that many think 2009 is a much better class than 2008, he may be thought of even more highly.