[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: That's what happens when you don't get a lot of PT  (Read 1288 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
That's what happens when you don't get a lot of PT
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
After scoring 18 points (4-8 3pters) in a pre-season game versus Bakersfield, Novak was sidelined with back spasms as the Vipers beat the Toros.

The Monitor

HIDALGO — When the NBA Development League expansion Rio Grande Valley Vipers learned one hour before the game that their NBA assignment player was going to miss their first game against Austin, that could have put a serious damper on opening night.

Instead the Vipers, behind Gabe Muoneke’s game-high 31 points and C.J. Watson’s 28, couldn’t have asked for a better debut as they netted a 104-97 victory before an announced house of 5,061 on Friday at Dodge Arena.

Steve Novak, a 6-foot-10 forward assigned to the Vipers by the Houston Rockets, suffered back spasms before tipoff that forced him to miss the contest. Without Novak, the Vipers (1-0) forced 22 turnovers and shot almost 50 percent from the field in an inspired team effort.

“He was hurt. We were short-handed, and we had to play people out of position,” Vipers coach Bob Hoffman said. “That’s how the game goes. You just have to figure out for other people to step up, and I thought we had a lot of people step up to get the ‘W.’ But, in general, I think it came down to the ability to get stops.”

More on the injury

HIDALGO — Coming into the arena before Friday’s season opener against Austin, Rio Grande Valley Vipers forward Steve Novak seemed fine. He was walking with a bounce in his step and said he was looking forward to taking the court. But soon thereafter back spasms flared and he was declared out before the Vipers’ 104-97 win.

“I was feeling good all the way through until walk-through, then I just took a step and it kind of locked up on me,” Novak said. “It’s not bad. I think it’s just going to be a couple of days, but it was enough to keep me out.”

Novak, who was assigned to the Vipers by the NBA’s Houston Rockets, said he had back spasms once last season. The Vipers’ training staff said before the game that Novak is questionable for Sunday’s game against Bakersfield at Dodge Arena.
SS Marquette