Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Tanned One is in Trouble  (Read 27087 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: The Tanned One is in Trouble
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
He's gone after the season. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »
I'm sure Crean will find another quality head coaching gig should Indiana let him go.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
Drivin' the team van at Gannon College.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
Indiana and Marquette are both once great programs that are now good. They really are pretty much equal in national standing. Indiana was great because of Knight; MU was great because of Al. Neither has gotten back to elite status. Crean made at best a lateral move and did so in a less than OK manner. Hence the lingering resentment, even though most MU fans are very glad he's gone.

I've got to disagree somewhat.  Crean went to Indiana because he knew it would be easier to recruit top talent there, and it is.  The high school basketball there has been top notch forever, Indiana produces more than its share of top players, and there's a lot of loyalty to IU as the state school.  Indiana is a better program because of those advantages.  There really isn't the same kind of established recruiting base for MU, nor does MU have the same depth of fan support.  The only thing that keeps MU in the conversation is the awesome level of support from the administration which truly gets how much value a top basketball program delivers to the school.

As we shall hopefully see soon, none of the above means that MU can't rise above IU on the occasions when MU has someone special in the HC position.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:39:20 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/717247

Indiana fans chant 'Tom Crean sucks' at son's basketball game

Hoosiers fans are not hiding their dissatisfaction with Tom Crean.

When Crean's son, Riley, entered his high-school basketball game, Indiana fans chanted "Tom Crean sucks" loudly, according to an email sent to CrimsonQuarry.com. 

Indiana currently sits on the bubble ahead of Selection Sunday after finishing the season with a 74-72 loss to Michigan State at home. If the Hoosiers miss the 2015 NCAA tournament, it will be the second consecutive year.     

That's just cruel.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Norm

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »
That's pathetic by the IU fans. Don't take it out on coaches kids.

If Yogi Farrell makes the 2nd free throw and IU wins in OT then they are already in the dance.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »
holy smokes, riley is in high school? i remember seeing him running around the sidelines back when i was in school. makes me feel old...

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
I try and not generalize an entire fan base by the actions of a few, but that is really despicable behavior by those select IU "fans".  It's one thing to be disappointed by the results of your favorite basketball team, it's completely another to take it out on the coach's kid.  Classless.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »
Okay, wow. How many fans, and on which team? Are you telling me this isn't predictable coming from the fans on an opposing team? And how do they know they were "Indiana fans"? Because it sells the story better? Please.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops  23m23 minutes ago
The people who did an ugly chant at Tom Crean during his son's game represent the lowest form of humanity. May karma get them all.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
Classless is classless.   This is classless.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
Be careful what you wish for and Tommy wished for Indiana.  They hate Tommy now(until he wins).  And they don't care what Seth Davis thinks. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Be careful what you wish for and Tommy wished for Indiana.  They hate Tommy now(until he wins).  And they don't care what Seth Davis thinks. 
With his contract, they can hate the tanned one all they want--because when he leaves, it will be with a big bag of zoidies!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops  23m23 minutes ago
The people who did an ugly chant at Tom Crean during his son's game represent the lowest form of humanity. May karma get them all.

But, Seth...

IT'S INDIANA,

IT'S INDIANA!

Where Basketball is god and they know a false prophet (or at least a failing shepherd) when they see one!
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 05:59:17 PM »
This is f ucking great!

+1.  one of the best things I've ever seen on Scoop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Okay, wow. How many fans, and on which team? Are you telling me this isn't predictable coming from the fans on an opposing team? And how do they know they were "Indiana fans"? Because it sells the story better? Please.

Exactly. Non-story and not rare. Opposing teams get on the other players all the time and it's often mean and... unsportsmanlike.

At my alma mater where they were very good a few years ago and had a couple of stars from well off families, opposing crowds would chant crap like, "daddy's money... daddy's money..." while they were on the line. Very personal and out of line. But not rare. Non story.

(hope someone kissed the kid and made it all better, I'm really a badger fanl?)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:21 AM »
Exactly. Non-story and not rare. Opposing teams get on the other players all the time and it's often mean and... unsportsmanlike.

At my alma mater where they were very good a few years ago and had a couple of stars from well off families, opposing crowds would chant crap like, "daddy's money... daddy's money..." while they were on the line. Very personal and out of line. But not rare. Non story.

Right on the money. It was probably just the opposing student section, which isn't abnormal behavior at all. In fact, I think we've all heard much, much worse. Echoing Jay Bee, that doesn't make it right, but it isn't a story.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:46 AM »
Classless is classless.   This is classless.

I don't condone that behavior in any way but Crean tempted karma in bestowing every possible award on his own son at a basketball camp. Riley Crean's biggest issue is not with a handful of clueless, anonymous spectators but, rather, with his jackass of a father. If Riley Crean has any dignity he should still feel ashamed that his father did that to him. 

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »

I agree with all of the facts in this comment. But I disagree with your opinion that this is a non-story.

Tom Crean is a public figure. Hell, as Indiana basketball coach, he arguably is the most public figure in the state. If he picks his nose, it is a story. So certainly if fans yell "Tom Crean sucks" at his son's basketball game, it is news and the media should report it.

You might not have sympathy for Crean or his kid, which is your prerogative. You might not like the way the story was reported. And again, you are correct that it is hardly an isolated incident. But IMHO, it is a story.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 05:05:28 AM »
I don't think this is a big deal at all. I do think Crean will use this as an opportunity to leave Indiana ahead of the posse, a la Buzz Williams.

Speaking of Crean, did anybody see this press conference? I thought it was Crean at his most gruesome. Wheeling this gentleman in front of the media under the guise of a good deed is just despicable in my mind. Wouldn't a trip into the locker room been more what this fan had in mind? Or courtside seats with no further comment? A personalized jersey? No, no, no. The media needs to see him in front of their bright lights...see how Coach Crean actually interacts with him like an actual human being.

This is the kind of transparent, offensive garbage he pulled all the time at Marquette, although this is the single most egregious example of it. He is a despicable human being...the worst of the worst. Calling him a phony is an insult to phonies around the globe.

Laughably, he gets media people, like this NBC sports website believing it's because he's such a caring individual. The reality is it's a dog and pony show that this douche bag hopes will curry favor with the torch-bearing townsfolk gathering at the gates of Assembly Hall.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/tom-crean-holds-indiana-press-conference-with-fan-battling-als-video/

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 06:12:34 AM »
That video is so incredibly creepy even for the tanned one. At the end he tells the press that he hopes the guy continues to get better....WTF! He's got ALS!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
I agree with all of the facts in this comment. But I disagree with your opinion that this is a non-story.

Tom Crean is a public figure. Hell, as Indiana basketball coach, he arguably is the most public figure in the state. If he picks his nose, it is a story. So certainly if fans yell "Tom Crean sucks" at his son's basketball game, it is news and the media should report it.

You might not have sympathy for Crean or his kid, which is your prerogative. You might not like the way the story was reported. And again, you are correct that it is hardly an isolated incident. But IMHO, it is a story.

I'm don't think we can even say whether it's a story or not. I went through the threads... it sounds like it started from one guy on one Indiana blog. Then the story got repeated over and over by others in sports media.

I'm not familiar with "the score" and don't know if it's supposed to be serious journalism, but there is zero reporting in that story beyond posting verbatim from another site. I still want to know how many people were doing this, how long it went on, etc.

I can't even see a problem with this if it's the entire opposing student section. My god, people are weak these days. Even 10-15 years ago the stuff we said at sporting events makes this look soft. I'm sure Riley is scarred for life.

And the way this was reported as "Indiana fans" without any verification is just pathetic. None of these people actually know that and it's perfectly narrative serving.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:08 AM »
It is certainly looking as though his time may be coming to an end, though not this year. They aren't exactly looking stacked for next season, though with the problems at Syracuse, it looks like he will have 6-10 Thomas Bryant fall in his lap.

Bottom line, he has failed to even come close to the standard of consistently contending for final fours and national championships that he himself embraced when he took the job.

Then again, things can turn around quickly. If they do squeeze in this year and win a game or two, it obviously buys some good favor. He could wallow in mediocrity there for several years, but has to make the tournament year after year. If they don't get in this year however, the drum beat will get very loud, and he will have exactly 12 months to change his fate, which will require Ws and improved recruiting/promising outlook as well.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »
It's too bad Brian couldn't say, "Fire Crean."
SS Marquette

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »
Peegs has been most entertaining these past couple weeks