'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maui blog by Jay Bilas  (Read 2867 times)

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Maui blog by Jay Bilas
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »
Here's Jay Bilas Maui final day entry in his blog from ESPN Insider.

Final Maui thoughts posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007  |  Print Entry

Maui all-tournament team:
• Kyle Singler, Duke
• Hayden Heiber, Chaminade
• Marco Kolaric, Chaminade
• Gerald Henderson, Duke
• James Harden, Arizona State
• Jeff Pendergraph, Arizona State
• Terrel Harris, Oklahoma State
• Jerel McNeal, Marquette
• Dominic James, Marquette
• David Cubillan, Marquette
• Brian Randle, Illinois
• Anthony Randolph, LSU
• Chris Johnson, LSU
• Noah Savage, Princeton
• MVP DeMarcus Nelson, Duke

Maui all-defensive team:
• David Cubillan, Marquette
• Marcus Dove, Oklahoma State
• Brian Randle, Illinois
• DeMarcus Nelson, Duke
• Jerel McNeal, Marquette

Playing hard all the time: Duke and Marquette win consistently because both have really good players and outstanding coaches. However, the primary reason they win so consistently is because they play so hard, so often. No teams that I have seen over the past seven years play any harder than Duke and Marquette. Some teams may match them in playing hard and having a blue-collar attitude, but nobody plays any harder on a consistent basis. It takes your breath away to watch those two teams roll up their sleeves and go to work.

Driving teams crazy: DeMarcus Nelson has become a punishing driving guard, and the long-armed defensive back of a guard is keeping his game simple and taking people off the dribble. Nelson uses his strength and athleticism to get into the lane, and he will not be bumped off his path. His improvement and focus, as well as his leadership, has made Duke into a top-10 team. Duke has areas where the the Blue Devils can be attacked, but this is a really good team full of tough match-ups.

Older than he looks: Kyle Singler is just a freshman, but he plays much older and more mature than that. He uses his body well and has the versatility to step away from the basket, put it on the deck and take a match-up into the post. He also uses all of the tricks of a veteran, and he has a mean streak that most great college players have. When Singler was named MVP of the EA Sports Maui Invitational, he didn't seem to want it, and his teammates were genuinely more excited about it than he was.

Still fun to win: The Duke coaching staff and players were genuinely thrilled to win the EA Sports Maui Invitational title, and it showed. From the last player on the bench to the Hall of Fame coach, this one meant something important, and the entire Duke contingent celebrated as if it was the championship & and it was, to them. Mike Krzyzewski looks at pre-conference tournaments as great opportunities to win meaningful championships, and to simulate what they will see later in the season. No matter how much a program wins, this was the first title for this particular team. The players enjoyed it.

Marquette is a Big East beast: The Golden Eagles have a legit chance to win the Big East. They are not big, but they are athletic, they guard the dickens out of you, and they are a close team that understands what it takes to win. I am a big fan of the way they play, and they way they go about things. This team relates to each other very well, and that could make the difference down the stretch

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Maui blog by Jay Bilas
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
I don't understand all the defensive kudos for McNeal-----he pressures well up front as the offesne is bringing the ball into play-----but once into play, Mcneal gets broken down on the dribble penetration quite a bit----against Duke DeMarcus Nelson did si quite a bit-----steals are fine but he gets fewer and fewer of those compared to last year at this time----but position is also very important to defensive expertise and McNeal needs alot of work in that respect!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
I thought JM played a half step slow on Wednesday, but I don't know how much of it can be attributed to his foul situation and the way the game was called.    He seemed tentative to really lock down on defense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »
To me a BE defensive player of the year should be a "shut down" defender-----I don't know who that is----but McNeal is not a "shut down" defender!

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
i am happy cube got some praise...maybe this will be a huge breakout year for him

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
McNeal is most definitely - - - -  a shutdown defender.  It's hard to shut someone down - - - when you're in early foul trouble - - - due to questionable calls!!!  Especially when the person you're guarding - - - is the best penetrator you'll face all year!!!  Not so sure what player you've been watching the past 2 years - - - McNeal is an excellent defender!!!

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 12:59:12 AM »
I agree on the praise for Cubes... I think even if DJ leaves we are going to be in good hands with that kid
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:48:01 AM »
McNeal is not a "shut down" defender but more of a harasser. He will harass you even after you get around him. Witness his "hands in the cookie jar" steals in Maui. He's an alert defender who is always looking at angles.

The praise for Coobs is well-placed, but I think a lot of that is contributed to the fact that he trained during the offseason and got into some games with the Venezuelan team. While his starting MU buddies were trying out for the US team, he was actually practicing and getting game time. He's come a long way and I expect him to surpass DJ in terms of progression this year, because DJ has regressed (in my mind).
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
McNeal is not a "shut down" defender but more of a harasser. He will harass you even after you get around him. Witness his "hands in the cookie jar" steals in Maui. He's an alert defender who is always looking at angles.

The praise for Coobs is well-placed, but I think a lot of that is contributed to the fact that he trained during the offseason and got into some games with the Venezuelan team. While his starting MU buddies were trying out for the US team, he was actually practicing and getting game time. He's come a long way and I expect him to surpass DJ in terms of progression this year, because DJ has regressed (in my mind).

WOW.

I really like the way cooby's game has improved (actually shoot decent from 2pt range, can dribble past defenders), but I think he has a long ways to go to be DJ.

People being down on DJ just seems so cliche now. I'm not calling you out '77 (I know you aren't trying to blast james here), it just seems (in general) when people don't have anything good to say about MU, all of the blame ends up on James.

I agree that DJ's game needs work and consistency is a major issue for him... but I still think he is a pretty special talent, and hopefully as the year goes on I'm proven right (for MU's sake).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:31:10 PM by 2002mualum »