Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting - '15/'16  (Read 19434 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Recruiting - '15/'16
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »
Eric Bossi Rivals.com

Ever so patiently, Sacar Anim waited his turn to be the man. Now that it is happening in his senior season at Minneapois (Minn.) DeLaSalle the shooting guard is taking full advantage.

Standing 6-foot-4, Anim has worn many different hats during his high school career. He has been a designated defender, designated energy guy and now during his final year he is the designated leader and go to guy on offense while averaging 25.4 points per night.

"It's a big step for me as a player and it's going to help me out as I go on to be a college player," Anim told Rivals.com "I've put in the work and I know that everything that is happening for me is because I've worked and I deserve it."

A three-star prospect, Anim is a physically tough wing with good athleticism. He can shoot with range, has improved his ball handling and is an excellent two way player unafraid of guarding his opponent's best perimeter scorer.

"I have a lot of upside in my game," said Anim. "I can score in many different ways now. The post, in transition, I can shoot the three and I can get tot he line.

"It's been hours in the gym and the coaches and people around me have confidence in me to make the right play."

So far, Anim has scholarship offers from Furman (where he visited officially during the fall), South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Drake and Northern Iowa to go along with recent interest from Minnesota, Miami, Northwestern and Marquette.

Marquette's head coach Steve Wojciechowski watched him for a second time earlier this week and a visit will most likely be set up to see the Golden Eagles. Should Anim start getting offers from high majors like Marquette he'll be in an interesting situation. Go test himself at a high major, or stick with one of the mid majors that's been with him all along and have a chance at a starring role.

"Definitely playing time will be important," said Anim. "I want to play at the highest level of course but at the same time if you aren't going to play when you get there you have to take notice and see what the best fit is.

"I also have to have confidence in myself that if I do go to a high major school I will be able to get on the court."

For now, no visits have been set and Anim is fine with waiting until the end of his senior season.

"Right now I'm just taking it day by day," said Anim. "I want to get through the season and try to win a state championship."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:03:58 AM »

Really? Arizona & MSU already offered. His dad played for the home state Gophers. UNC & UCLA still recruiting him after the torn ACL. And you think he's coming to Marquette...

Love that Warrior pride!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 05:42:07 AM »
Love that Warrior pride!

Go to Arizona in the sun and play for a top 5 team or stay in Milwaukee on a last place team in the new big east.

I think it's fair to say the gap isn't even close

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 06:59:40 AM »
Go to Arizona in the sun and play for a top 5 team or stay in Milwaukee on a last place team in the new big east.

2016 is still a ways off. Lots of recruiting to be done. But just as easily I could say stay close to your family and play with one of your best friends or go across the country where you don't know anyone. The gap isn't even close.

We don't know Coffey's priorities yet but I like Wojo's chances.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:31 AM »

Good thing we took this approach with Henry. We would have never gotten him away from MSU and Kentucky!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Good thing we took this approach with Henry. We would have never gotten him away from MSU and Kentucky!

Ellenson was born and raised in Wisconsin, including his dad & now brother playing for Marquette.

Completely different situation, IMO

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »

Ellenson was born and raised in Wisconsin, including his dad & now brother playing for Marquette.

Completely different situation, IMO

How many players from the midwest usually go somewhere based on weather.  Yes, Looney went to UCLA, but Arizona has made hay on recruiting kids mostly from California and the west coast. 

I am not saying that Coffey is coming to MU, but usually kids stick relatively near to their local area. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »

We don't know Coffey's priorities yet but I like Wojo's chances.

Aside from you opinion, where have you seen any Marquette/Amir Coffey buzz? MU offered over the summer in July. And 247 has a very active timeline of schools visiting / him visiting and nowhere is MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »

Aside from you opinion, where have you seen any Marquette/Amir Coffey buzz? MU offered over the summer in July. And 247 has a very active timeline of schools visiting / him visiting and nowhere is MU.

Twitter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »

How many players from the midwest usually go somewhere based on weather.  Yes, Looney went to UCLA, but Arizona has made hay on recruiting kids mostly from California and the west coast. 

I am not saying that Coffey is coming to MU, but usually kids stick relatively near to their local area. 

I agree, very few. Jamil & Looney are the only that come to mind.

And to your second point; that is why I emphasized staying home for the home town Goophers where his dad played, and later for the Wolves.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
Twitter

I've searched. Other then mentions of "marquette offered". What substance?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »

247, like all the recruiting sites, don't have a solid word from the Wojo staff to fill that out. Comes with time.

Respect the process.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3674189.shtml
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »

Thanks for the link but I don't know ... listening to a kid get interviewed is awfully like reading what he says on Twitter. Which is awfully squirmy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
Thanks for the link but I don't know ... listening to a kid get interviewed is awfully like reading what he says on Twitter. Which is awfully squirmy.

Sorry for posting an interview by a local news source. I'll be sure to get Brokaw there next time.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »

Even talking about these kids is pretty creepy.
On the other hand, labeling them choking dogs who pee themselves is not weird at all.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »

I watched this video this morning. He simply mentioned all of the schools that offered, including that Baylor came down last week.

Another video out there of his dad saying they plan to trim the list to 3-4 schools and take visits

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »

I watched this video this morning. He simply mentioned all of the schools that offered, including that Baylor came down last week.

Another video out there of his dad saying they plan to trim the list to 3-4 schools and take visits

247Sports had an update last month that said the three main players in his recruitment were Marquette, Minnesota, and Iowa State. I have no idea what their source was.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Top-40-prospect-visiting-Minnesota-35202280

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »

Fine...there are plenty of sources saying MU is a major player. You don't want to believe it, that's your prerogative. The reason I said I like our chances is because I've heard how close he is with Anim and that Wojo has been one of the coaches most aggressively after him. Just relaying what I've heard and read. If you want to believe otherwise because Sean Miller put in a phone call, so be it. Never mind that the schools most frequently mentioned with him of late are all relatively local.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

None....it's Twitter.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
None....it's Twitter.

It's not Twitter. It's articles I've read. Some are posted here, some aren't. It's interviews with Coffey. It's conversations I've had with people I trust that follow recruiting more closely than I do. Those conversations have talked about his relationship with the staff and his relationship with Anim, who will be committing to MU in a few hours time.

None of it guarantees anything, but at this point, I feel we have a real shot. Not guaranteed, not even close to a done deal, but I fully believe we are one of the strongest players for him. We'll see what the next few months bring.

CBB, you can bang on the uses or applications of Twitter. Use it how you like. There's substance to be found there and it breaks news faster than any network or news website can, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative, but that doesn't mean it isn't a viable tool for others.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
Sorry for posting an interview by a local news source. I'll be sure to get Brokaw there next time.

Just stay clear of the Brian Williams interview.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:12:45 PM by Schmidtyfactor »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

Nope, but good try.

An interview by a news source, much different than following around to see what the kid is doing 24/7 IMO.   To each their own.  I'll refrain from following minors others can do as they wish. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
Nope, but good try.

An interview by a news source, much different than following around to see what the kid is doing 24/7 IMO.   To each their own.  I'll refrain from following minors others can do as they wish. 

Following the kid 24/7?  Are you intentionally being this obtuse or do you really not understand Twitter?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Nope, but good try.

What if i "follow" a source at ESPN or one of a dozen recruiting websites. And those "news sources" retweet or originally tweet information about a recruit?