2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ners is right...  (Read 78298 times)

1SE

• All American
Ners is right...
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:12 AM »
Long-time reader, first time poster.  I hate to say it but Ners is completely right on DW.  It's 4 on 5 with him in the game.  Not only do defenders play 5 feet off him when he has the ball anywhere outside of 15, but when he's off the ball they abandon him completely.  The fact that one out of 4 of his bull-rushes into the lane drops does not compensate for this.  A few times in the second half he was in the corner w/o the ball and his man was 20 ft away, double-teaming Luke.  He doesn't even initiate the offense well - just keeps a dribble 25 ft away  Re-watch the tape and just look at how much better the spacing, flow and ball-movement was when he was spelled in the 2nd half.  Night and day.

His defense is fine, but by no means "elite" - and if the rest of the guys can't shut down a team like Creighton then D doesn't matter that much anyway - our only hope is to trade bucket for bucket but that's hard to do 4 on 5. 

With only 7 he of course has to play (although you really have to wonder how much worse a walk-on could be - at least they'd have the advantage of being an unknown).  When Carlino is back though why not go Carlino, Du. Wil, Anderson, STJ and Fisher (the last two who become more than the sum of their parts when both on the floor).  Those 5 should get 30, Cohen, JjJ and Derrick spelling, in that order.

Plus his FTs!  42%?!  Are you kidding me?  I can't think of a single JV, let alone varsity, let alone DIII/DII, let alone mid-major, let alone "high" major PG who is that abysmal from the stripe.  I know there are some statheads on this board - that has to be close to an all-time low for a starting DI PG right?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
Re: Ners is right...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:38:16 AM »
Looks like he's 44th worst FT shooter of ALL DI players in the country, 13th worst of those that have attempted at least 2 FTA per game, and 2nd worst guard of that group.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/stats/2015/Averages/Qualified/All/Season/All/ft_pct/asc/1/

So thank you Kerry Weldon of UMASS-Lowell...

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Kerry-Weldon/Summary/57834
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:41:16 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »
Kerry Weldon is 6-5

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »
Ners, did you start a new account for this thread ... Because the 7000 threads before this was not enough?

For God sake give it a rest ... Our season is over in three weeks and MU career is over.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
Hashed over in 10k posts already.   Plus, with Carlino out, down to 7 players, the next option is walk ons.   Let it go.   Season is over in a couple of weeks. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »
Really.  Enough is enough. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
Long-time reader, first time poster.  I hate to say it but Ners is completely right on DW.  It's 4 on 5 with him in the game.  Not only do defenders play 5 feet off him when he has the ball anywhere outside of 15, but when he's off the ball they abandon him completely.  The fact that one out of 4 of his bull-rushes into the lane drops does not compensate for this.  A few times in the second half he was in the corner w/o the ball and his man was 20 ft away, double-teaming Luke.  He doesn't even initiate the offense well - just keeps a dribble 25 ft away  Re-watch the tape and just look at how much better the spacing, flow and ball-movement was when he was spelled in the 2nd half.  Night and day.

His defense is fine, but by no means "elite" - and if the rest of the guys can't shut down a team like Creighton then D doesn't matter that much anyway - our only hope is to trade bucket for bucket but that's hard to do 4 on 5. 

With only 7 he of course has to play (although you really have to wonder how much worse a walk-on could be - at least they'd have the advantage of being an unknown).  When Carlino is back though why not go Carlino, Du. Wil, Anderson, STJ and Fisher (the last two who become more than the sum of their parts when both on the floor).  Those 5 should get 30, Cohen, JjJ and Derrick spelling, in that order.

Plus his FTs!  42%?!  Are you kidding me?  I can't think of a single JV, let alone varsity, let alone DIII/DII, let alone mid-major, let alone "high" major PG who is that abysmal from the stripe.  I know there are some statheads on this board - that has to be close to an all-time low for a starting DI PG right?
An accurate analysis of the situation. Thanks for the post.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Seriously, wtf cares? This season is the train wreck it was destined to be from the beginning. This entire ongoing conversation could not possibly be more pointless.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
An accurate analysis of the situation. Thanks for the post.
How can you possibly think this is 'an accurate analysis' when he doesn't take a shot at Wojo's ability or bring up players that are no longer on the team?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
Bad seasons bring out more and more posters who don't have a clue....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »

His defense is fine, but by no means "elite" - and if the rest of the guys can't shut down a team like Creighton then D doesn't matter that much anyway - our only hope is to trade bucket for bucket

Regarding defense, our beat writer pointed out that yesterday MU played three possessions with both Derrick and Juan on the bench. The result was Creighton lay up, Creighton lay up, Creighton lay up.

Derrick is a horrible free throw shooter - 21-50, 42%, but Dominique James was almost as bad and took more of them - 46.1%,  41-89 as a senior.

Derrick is a decidedly subpar D1 point guard. Our alternative last year was a freshman 2 guard who will be taking his talents to mighty Liberty College next year. This year he's also our only true point - Carlino and Duane are 2s and JJJ and Sandy are 3s. Plus we've played all season with 7 or 8 players.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »
Regarding defense, our beat writer pointed out that yesterday MU played three possessions with both Derrick and Juan on the bench. The result was Creighton lay up, Creighton lay up, Creighton lay up.

Derrick is a horrible free throw shooter - 21-50, 42%, but Dominique James was almost as bad and took more of them - 46.1%,  41-89 as a senior.

Derrick is a decidedly subpar D1 point guard. Our alternative last year was a freshman 2 guard who will be taking his talents to mighty Liberty College next year. This year he's also our only true point - Carlino and Duane are 2s and JJJ and Sandy are 3s. Plus we've played all season with 7 or 8 players.
LMAO. Comparing Derrick to James!!! And Derrick would have stopped all 3 layups--if that even happened.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »

You Sir, should be ashamed of yourself, posting this. This is not the type of stuff that about 10-12 posters here want to hear. And you will be hearing about it from those people.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
LMAO. Comparing Derrick to James!!! And Derrick would have stopped all 3 layups--if that even happened.

The only thing he compared Derrick to Dominic on was FT%...or did you miss that?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »
--if that even happened.

Yes, even the beat writer is making stuff up.    But if you had actually watched the game, you would have seen it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
I am so sick of the derrick bashing.  Derrick is a below average point guard but that blame needs to fall on Buzz and now Wojo.  Buzz for not getting a legit point guard the last 2 years at the helm and Wojo for not getting one yet.  A high quality point guard can fix a lot of issues for this team.  Duane at the point next year is not the answer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
Kris Dunn, Monte Morris, Tyler Ulis, all guys Buzz likely could have had if he'd pursued them. We are the product of a coach that preferred ranked switchables and project players at the point and center positions. My guess is our new coach will have different priorities.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
Kris Dunn, Monte Morris, Tyler Ulis, all guys Buzz likely could have had if he'd pursued them. We are the product of a coach that preferred ranked switchables and project players at the point and center positions. My guess is our new coach will have different priorities.
Thanks to the phony cowboy.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

Have you been drinking this morning? We could have maybe gotten Morris, but no chance on the other two.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Have you been drinking this morning? We could have maybe gotten Morris, but no chance on the other two.

Ulis and Dunn were both interested in Marquette but Buzz never offered.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
Thanks to Buzz for the S-16, S-16, E-8, Big East Regular season Championship.   The fallout this season is closer to normal for coaching changes.   So, thanks to Buzz for being a good enough coach to have the team be successful when he took over.   He had good players and was able to keep most of them and get them to buy in.    Wojo didn't have as many good players, and lost more of them than Buzz did.    So, slurp slurp slurp, Buzz won at MU for 5 of his 6 years.    Thanks, Buzz.  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »

1SE wrote: "his FTs! 42%?! Are you kidding me? I can't think of a SINGLE JV, let alone Varsity, let alone DIII/DII, let alone "high" major PG who is that abysmal from the stripe."

I didn't compare Derrick to Dom as a PLAYER (reading is fundamental, Willie). I compared them as seniors shooting FTs. Accurately. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »

Ulis and Dunn were both interested in Marquette but Buzz never offered.

Yeah, I'm sure Ulis would have picked us over Kentucky.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »
Ners, did you start a new account for this thread ... Because the 7000 threads before this was not enough?

For God sake give it a rest ... Our season is over in three weeks and MU career is over.

Yeah but, the only question remainin' is if he can go on and play for pay in Somalia, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure Ulis would have picked us over Kentucky.

Maybe.  Maybe an early commit would have made the difference.  The point is saying "no chance" was an inaccurate statement.