[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] This just in...Duke got a few calls  (Read 1876 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] This just in...Duke got a few calls
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:45:05 AM »
This just in...Duke got a few calls

The EA Sports Maui Invitational is played in a crackerbox. The place is smaller than most high school gyms. It's hot, intimate and loud
Duke is now 12-0 in the building and head coach Mike Kryzyewski calls it a "mini-Cameron".  
Maybe he's on to something.
Like many home Duke contests, a veteran officiating crew appeared to take 20 minutes to call it both ways.
The Blue Devils were in the bonus with 9:30 remaining in the first half and Marquette was whistled for 12 team fouls in the first half. Meanwhile, the refs decided to only whistle Duke for 6 personals.
After each Duke foul, MU fans gave Ed Hightower's crew a  mock standing ovation. Though both teams each scored eight points from the free-throw line prior to the half, five Golden Eagles including Jerel McNeal had at least two fouls. The foul trouble seemed to have an effect on how Tom Crean's used his player rotations in the second half.    

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2007/11/21/this-just-in-duke-got-a-few-calls.aspx

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: [Rosiak's Blog] This just in...Duke got a few calls
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »
Speaking of Crean's rotations, I thought he did a great job with substitutions last night. Interesting how many minutes Barro had -- I think it said 28, which was one more than DJ played. I guess Burke's foul trouble explained it. I thought both Ousmane and Dwight were effective when they were in there. Ooze was very aggressive. I also like how Crean got Acker and Fitzgerald minutes (again, foul trouble?) and both were solid when they were in there.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Speaking of Crean's rotations, I thought he did a great job with substitutions last night. Interesting how many minutes Barro had -- I think it said 28, which was one more than DJ played. I guess Burke's foul trouble explained it. I thought both Ousmane and Dwight were effective when they were in there. Ooze was very aggressive. I also like how Crean got Acker and Fitzgerald minutes (again, foul trouble?) and both were solid when they were in there.

I'd assume foul trouble...McNeal and Hayward finished the game with 4 fouls after having two on them midway through the first half. Both got their 4th foul with 8:41 left in the game!
SS Marquette

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
The officials didn't have a great night last night, but overall, I thought the game was called pretty consistently at both ends. Our style of play resutls in a ton of fouls usually. Unfortunately our aggressive style on both D and O puts the referree's in a tough spot. Obviously, our style of play works better with a crew that allows teams to play. Anytime we have a crew that calls it tight, we will have issues.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »
i dunno we didnt shoot FTs very well down the stretch, but every borderline charge/block seemed to go Duke's way. Coach K would cry in the refs ears then get a whistle right after, ridonkulous.
"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

feedback