collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The end of the American social contract  (Read 2660 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
The end of the American social contract
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
Robert Reich offers his thoughts on seismic shifts taking place in the American work place. Obviously a very complex issue but I can't say he isn't right in many ways. Thought provoking.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/10/robert_reich_america_is_heading_full_speed_back_to_the_19th_century_partner/

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: The end of the American social contract
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
Nevermind.  I forgot that I already shared my Robert Reich story.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
Thought provoking indeed. Got me me thinking what an idiotic and completely flawed piece it is. Not one mention of today's global economy, not one mention of China, Indoa, or other developing nations that are having a tremendously profound impact on the US economy. I wasn't alive back then, so someone might have to help me out, but was the US competing with China back in the 19th century? For that matter, could we communicate with anyone in the world as if they were in the next room in the 19th century? Fact is, his argument is an old one, that has been antiquated for many years already. Labor unions had their time, and served a valuable purpose, but their useful time has come to an end.

Fact is, we as a country cannot legislate what other countries, or companies operating in other countries do. Guys like this can blame evil big business and investment banks, blah, blah, blah, but what he's complaining about is simply a function of a changing world. A world and a world economy of which the U.S. is one piece. Adapt or die.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:58:05 PM »
the unions over-played their hand.  they had the blue-collar guy and the big companies by the short hairs.  then negotiated themselves right out of work.  the benefits and legacy costs just killed them.  in the beginning, they argued for "fair wages" and safe working conditions, etc...  then, the gubmint came in and passed laws, created agencies to over see and enforce all these new restrictions and once again, have OVER-played their hand.  the epa has created such strict rules and regulations, many companies simply cannot afford much less allow new business to be created.  i'm not saying these agencies are not purposeful, but again, they have become over zealous to put it mildly.  to the point that our business world has had to adapt.  well ollie, some fine mess they've gotten us into.  those who fail to learn history are........oh yeah, and -reich was a big gubmint/union toadie-i should have lead with that, it would have explained a lot right off the bat
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
I once took a dump that was bigger than Robert Reich...seriously. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »
Thought provoking indeed. Got me me thinking what an idiotic and completely flawed piece it is. Not one mention of today's global economy, not one mention of China, Indoa, or other developing nations that are having a tremendously profound impact on the US economy. I wasn't alive back then, so someone might have to help me out, but was the US competing with China back in the 19th century? For that matter, could we communicate with anyone in the world as if they were in the next room in the 19th century? Fact is, his argument is an old one, that has been antiquated for many years already. Labor unions had their time, and served a valuable purpose, but their useful time has come to an end.

Fact is, we as a country cannot legislate what other countries, or companies operating in other countries do. Guys like this can blame evil big business and investment banks, blah, blah, blah, but what he's complaining about is simply a function of a changing world. A world and a world economy of which the U.S. is one piece. Adapt or die.

Actually we could.  We could legislate that any goods sold in the US (and/or EU) must abide by US laws and regulations in relation to workers rights and compensation.  Essentially saying, no goods or services can be provided in the US if all parts or components composing the goods/service were produced under certain working conditions and with a minimum wage regardless of where they are produced.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:23:19 AM »
Actually we could.  We could legislate that any goods sold in the US (and/or EU) must abide by US laws and regulations in relation to workers rights and compensation.  Essentially saying, no goods or services can be provided in the US if all parts or components composing the goods/service were produced under certain working conditions and with a minimum wage regardless of where they are produced.

So...you want to pay 10x on apple products, and android products, and computing technology, and batteries, and pretty much everything.

No problem if you do...just asking.

North Korea has some experience in this, you might ask to see how they are doing.

For the rest of us, It's a global economy.  Either you're the predator or the prey.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »
So...you want to pay 10x on apple products, and android products, and computing technology, and batteries, and pretty much everything.

No problem if you do...just asking.

North Korea has some experience in this, you might ask to see how they are doing.

For the rest of us, It's a global economy.  Either you're the predator or the prey.

I wasn't saying we should, just saying we technically could.  I like my apple products the price they are.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »

"but was the US competing with China back in the 19th century?" - No we weren't.  The USA and the European countries were trying to get footholds in China to get a piece of the China trade.  Everyone was looking to import Chinese made goods like porcelain, silk, etc. since they were in very high demand and hard to come by. 

I visited Salem, MA in the fall which got very rich off the China trade in 1800's.  They had a strong maritime presence and were able to import goods from China where it would filter outward in New England.

A few years ago, I visited Qingdao, China for work.  Anyone who eats in a Chinese restaurant is familiar with Tsingtao beer that is brewed there and exported worldwide.  That's because Qingdao was a tiny fishing village and the city was founded by Germans who set it up as their base of China trade.

Shanghai is where everyone was.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
I'd like to know what this American Social Contract is, since it has changed on a whim through the decades.  Then factor in the "we want it all" expectations but "don't have to pay for it" absurdity, and you arrive at an inflection point.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
I once took a dump that was bigger than Robert Reich...seriously.  

Everyone here is aware you're full of shyte. Thanks for confirming.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:08:32 PM by Lennys Tap »