'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU/Creighton & the Offensive Value of Carlino  (Read 2103 times)

andymartinelli2

• Scholarship Player
MU/Creighton & the Offensive Value of Carlino
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »
To wade further into the muck, their 34.6% accuracy from the field was the second lowest in conference play and third lowest overall, their 18 total field goals were tied for second lowest in conference play and tied for third lowest overall, and their five made free throws were tied for second lowest in conference play and overall. That’s an offense in rough shape, and as we’ve done many times this season, we’ll blame Matt Carlino... https://misix.com/how-much-carlino-matters-for-marquette

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
Re: MU/Creighton & the Offensive Value of Carlino
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
A quick note to thank you for these posts. They have been insightful, and, unfortunately, all too accurate.  :)

andymartinelli2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Thank you and thank you reading them.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
Solid article.  Could you help me understand what qualifies Carlino's game as a " somewhat inefficient offensive performance".  I would have thought he was the most efficient guy on the team given the % of possessions he gets.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
Matt Carlino is the best plAyer on this team.  Wish we had him for three more years.

Warden27

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
Solid article.  Could you help me understand what qualifies Carlino's game as a " somewhat inefficient offensive performance".  I would have thought he was the most efficient guy on the team given the % of possessions he gets.

The % of possessions a player gets does not play into their efficiency. Efficiency stats are meant to remove any bias associated with discrepancies in the total number of possessions a player gets. One player could get 1% of possessions while another gets 99% and yet they could have the same offensive efficiency numbers. Carlino is certainly one of the more efficient offensive players on the team when looking at effective field goal % and points per 100 possessions, but that isn't necessarily saying much, given his competition on the team. He also has a somewhat disappointing turnover % which helps to make him "somewhat inefficient."

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
The % of possessions a player gets does not play into their efficiency. Efficiency stats are meant to remove any bias associated with discrepancies in the total number of possessions a player gets. One player could get 1% of possessions while another gets 99% and yet they could have the same offensive efficiency numbers. Carlino is certainly one of the more efficient offensive players on the team when looking at effective field goal % and points per 100 possessions, but that isn't necessarily saying much, given his competition on the team. He also has a somewhat disappointing turnover % which helps to make him "somewhat inefficient."

I guess I'm just able to handle a somewhat disappointing turonver % when the guy has an ORtg of 109.2 on 24% of possessions.

Warden27

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
I guess I'm just able to handle a somewhat disappointing turonver % when the guy has an ORtg of 109.2 on 24% of possessions.

Agreed. Add the point mentioned in the post about the other players performing better with him on the court, and you have to hope he is back soon.

feedback