'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jump around guy is evil...  (Read 7855 times)

jficke13

• All American
Jump around guy is evil...
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
and must be destroyed.

Badger mole.

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Jump around guy is evil...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
What did he do?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »
What???  Is this another thread about how the badgers are lame because they think they started jumping around to the song called jump around?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:11:50 AM »
No. Not a badger mole.  He flies a Warrior flag in front of his business office on Bluemound Road.  He sits in the front row at Bucks' games wearing his Marquette sweatshirt.  He's about the best fan we have.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
I realize he's an MU fan, but without him we wouldn't do the Jump Around thing, which is, like it or not, a Badger thing. We should not be doing Badger things.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
I realize he's an MU fan, but without him we wouldn't do the Jump Around thing, which is, like it or not, a Badger thing. We should not be doing Badger things.

I prefer to not let the Badgers claim something like "Jumping Around to the Jump Around song" to be their "thing". 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »

I say it is a MU thing and Badgers shouldn't be doing MU things.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
Why do we care what Badger fans think?  Sometimes this fan base reminds me of the cute high school girl who doesn't think she is pretty enough.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
I don't care what they think. I don't like to do the same things as them because they are our rivals.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
I say it is a MU thing and Badgers shouldn't be doing MU things.

Not that it matters, but from the "jump around" / House of pain wiki page:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Around

University of Wisconsin–Madison

At home football games at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, students "Jump Around" to the song between the third and fourth quarters. The tradition grew out of the men's varsity swim team members playing it over a portable CD player and broadcasting via a smuggled-in megaphone to sections O and P during the games to rile up those sections. This began in 1993, well before the official start. In March of 1997, at a Fraternity party at Delta Tau Delta at midnight the song was played with the football team and members of the future stadium employees and it became the midnight anthem for every party till the end of that year. The "official" start was on Saturday, October 10, 1998, at the Badgers Homecoming game against the Purdue Boilermakers.[3] After no offensive points were scored in the third quarter, and en route to their second 6–0 start of the modern football era, one of the Badgers' marketing agents, who was in charge of sound, piped the song through the loudspeakers.[4] It stirred up fans and players and become an eventual tradition.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
I don't care what they think. I don't like to do the same things as them because they are our rivals.

So are you proposing we get rid of basketball at MU, because UW also has a basketball team and we shouldn't do the same things?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »

So Marquette shouldn't do things that Marquette fans like to do because Wisconsin does them too?  Are we going to let Wisconsin dictate all of our gameday experiences?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »

At home football games at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, students "Jump Around" to the song between the third and fourth quarters. The tradition grew out of the men's varsity swim team members playing it over a portable CD player and broadcasting via a smuggled-in megaphone to sections O and P during the games to rile up those sections. This began in 1993, well before the official start. In March of 1997, at a Fraternity party at Delta Tau Delta at midnight the song was played with the football team and members of the future stadium employees and it became the midnight anthem for every party till the end of that year. The "official" start was on Saturday, October 10, 1998, at the Badgers Homecoming game against the Purdue Boilermakers.[3] After no offensive points were scored in the third quarter, and en route to their second 6–0 start of the modern football era, one of the Badgers' marketing agents, who was in charge of sound, piped the song through the loudspeakers.[4] It stirred up fans and players and become an eventual tradition.

Yes I am aware of the history. That doesn’t make it their exclusive thing and doesn’t mean anyone else shouldn’t do it. They don’t have a copyright on the song.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
Maybe we should start playing On Wisconsin too? The Packers should start playing "Bear Down" and the Bears should start playing "Bang on the Drum."

I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can consider it not a tradition of our rival's. The fact that we do it now too is insane.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
How is it their tradition? We were doing it when they were still using megaphones at the Fieldhouse, and the fact they think it's their tradition shows how lame they are.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
I've taken in plenty of away games and hear the pep bands of most schools every year at MSG and their is little originality other than the school fight or state songs.  They all probably buy their pep sheet music programs from the same place.

Let the Jump Around Guy live.  He is a fan who comes to every game.  Last night, he nearly expired prior to the conclusion of the song.
I think we will need every fan we can get during our last four games. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
Is this really an issue to some people? 

Go to any other basketball/football game both college and pro.  That song is played at nearly every one of them.  Should all of those stadiums stop playing it as well?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Maybe we should start playing On Wisconsin too? The Packers should start playing "Bear Down" and the Bears should start playing "Bang on the Drum."

I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can consider it not a tradition of our rival's. The fact that we do it now too is insane.

On Wisconsin is their fight song, as is bear down for the bears in a way. Not the same. Bang the drum is used by several other teams.  

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

I thought you were in your cups last night and couldn't post a coherent thought so this was the topic you initiated instead.

I realize now there's not much on the tableau to begin with and perhaps best now to follow the "stay quiet and let them think you're a fool rather then open your mouth and remove all doubt" advice. Just a silly thing to get your panties in a bunch over.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »
This lame argument is rehashed every couple of months around here, and I'm indifferent to that.

However, the title of this thread seems to target Rick Smith, which is pretty bad.  There are few, if any, better supporters of Marquette athletics.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
Rehashing this topic is like going through a literal House of Pain.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
Yeah, crazy me for not wanting to co-opt the traditions of our rivals.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
This is just just stupid on all accounts. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
Yeah, crazy me for not wanting to co-opt the traditions of our rivals.

Trust me, nobody outside of Wisconsin knows what songs UW-Madison folks like to listen to.

And like others said, this song gets played at countless stadiums. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

Did you note that the source for the claim that the BADgers invented it was a website called "www.greaterbuckyopen.com"?  If you dig deep enough around there, you'll probably find the story of how Bo Ryan invented basketball.

feedback