Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why shouldn't Duane be the PG next year?  (Read 4624 times)

Smoothly

• Walk-On
Why shouldn't Duane be the PG next year?
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
Would love to hear your thoughts, as I think he has all the tools necessary. In recent games (outside of Villanova where everyone seemed overwhelmed) he has been perhaps the most reliable decision maker with the ball in his hands.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Why shouldn't Duane be the PG next year?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
Let me give you the 10 reasons why not.

Sincerely,
The Strawman

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
I think at times he will be, but I suspect Wojo wants more than one guy that can play the point. Duane can be a one or two at this level. If they can add another 1 with experience, that allows for a dual point attack (especially if the other guy can also shoot) where they are interchangeable. It also protects the team a bit from foul trouble and gives insurance in case of injury.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
Personally, I think he is the PG next year. Unless someone can step up and take it from him.

The way I see it, our starting PF and C on the roster is set for next season with Henry and Luke. We then have 6 players for three starting spots. Which three between Duane, Nick, Haanif, JjJ, Wally, and Cohen will rise up and take the remaining three spots? Duane will be one of them, but in which role?

This of course can change depending on who we recruit. I want a PG, a wing, and a big. The big can be a work in progress. Either the PG or the Wing needs to be able to play significant minutes next season. If we get a ready to play PG, than Duane will be a SG. If we get a ready to play wing, Duane will be a PG. Hopefully, we'll get both!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »
Right now he is.   The questions arise because he has been erratically effective off of the ball and that he is looking to shoot when he touches it and not set teammates up.    Will he be able to strike a balance as the starting PG?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
Would love to hear your thoughts, as I think he has all the tools necessary. In recent games (outside of Villanova where everyone seemed overwhelmed) he has been perhaps the most reliable decision maker with the ball in his hands.
Because Nic Moore will be our PG!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
Right now he is.   The questions arise because he has been erratically effective off of the ball and that he is looking to shoot when he touches it and not set teammates up.    Will he be able to strike a balance as the starting PG?

With Derrick out there he knows his role is to attack (not knocking Derrick, just saying Duane has to be the aggressor of the two). Duane could certainly play pg next year, perhaps a better question is, why doesn't he play it this year? Now with Juan, Cohen, stj, and Fischer at the 3-5, Duane could be pg and carlino or jjj sg.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
Wojo would not be desperately scouting JUCO point guards, if Duane was the answer at point guard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »
With Derrick out there he knows his role is to attack (not knocking Derrick, just saying Duane has to be the aggressor of the two). Duane could certainly play pg next year, perhaps a better question is, why doesn't he play it this year? Now with Juan, Cohen, stj, and Fischer at the 3-5, Duane could be pg and carlino or jjj sg.

That is the best point, Duane needs experience at the point, Derrick has had his chance long enough, they are going no where this year, so Wojo should find out what he has or does not have.  I would not play Carlino that much anymore as well.  Derrick, Juan and Carlino make up a nice bench.

Smoothly

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »

I found it interesting that Wojo really does not appear to have confidence that he can run the point. When I found out Carlino was out for the game I was expecting to at least see small stretches with Duane running the show, but nope... Derrick played all 40 minutes today and was fairly ineffective on the offensive end. Duane plays tough defense and if he can stop missing his damn layups and gain some more confidence outside he will be an absolute force. He does not seem fazed by his defenders and is a smart enough player to find an outlet before he gets trapped when bringing the ball up the court.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »
He likely will be, unless Wojo can corral a stud. (Hmmm....corral...time for a reference to the phony cowboy? No maybe another post.)

Duane can play either position, and should be getting time at PG now, to see how he rolls there. Do not understand why Derrick got 40 minutes there yesterday. With Carlino out, that was the perfect time to give Duane a run at PG.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »

Duane will start and get good minutes. That may or may not be at PG. Duane brings the flexibility to play multiple positions. If we have a better PG then shooting guard option, Wojo might move Duane into that SG role. I don't think it matters where Duane plays as long as he plays.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
Wojo would not be desperately scouting JUCO point guards, if Duane was the answer at point guard.

I don't agree with that. You need more than 1 PG on the team. He's desperately recruiting juco PGs because Noshowiak is a mess.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
[/quote
]How do you know that Wojo has made that decision? You don't. Some people say, never stop recruiting. Your connecting Wojo's scouting a PG to his belief that Duane is not the answer, is pure speculation, and not necessarily related. He is still scouting 2nd guards also, which we are loaded at. JJJ, Duane, sandy, Cheatham, etc. That must mean that Wojo believes none of those guys are the answer. Huh? LMAO.
Here how is this: Because our record this year is poor means Wojo is a poor coach. Just did the same thing--connected two things that may not mean one follows the other--which you did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »
willie, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but what I find more telling is that Derrick played 40 minutes in Carlino's absence.  If Wojo believed that Duane should be PG next year, you would think he would have used him to spell Derrick 5-10 minutes yesterday.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
willie, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but what I find more telling is that Derrick played 40 minutes in Carlino's absence.  If Wojo believed that Duane should be PG next year, you would think he would have used him to spell Derrick 5-10 minutes yesterday.
I agree--and that is something I cannot grasp. Find out if the kid can do it. Now Duane's skill set may be better suited as a 2, but I believe that Wojo should give him a shot. He is basically splitting minutes now with Sandy and JJJ. And they deserve minutes also. We all know about Derrick and in 10 more games his career is over. We should be getting game looks at Duane as a PG, this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
Wojo's unwillingness to play Duane at PG, ever, is one decision I can't figure out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
Wojo's unwillingness to play Duane at PG, ever, is one decision I can't figure out.

He kind of did for a short stretch against Nova'.  They ran with Duane, Carlino and JJJ, with Duane largely running point duties.  It was hard to tell though, because it became a disorganized track meet.  Very fast tempo, quick poor shots etc.  He immediately put Derrick back in.