Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'town thoughts  (Read 28872 times)

Ardmore Mug

• All American
Re: G'town thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
Marquette does not play smart. 

Typical remark from a Vadger... He never comes around unless MU loses... Tongue

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Ed Corbett is a piece of sh*t.
second that

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
In general, the officiating in the Big East is poor and inconsistent.  These 3 today were exceptionally poor.  

College basketball refereeing is bad in general.  Unfortunately the way the system has evolved encourages referees to do a large number of games which I think has a great deal to do with the lack of quality.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »
Well the good news is I think we can win the next 15.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
Team did pretty well today, even though came up short. Really good shooting.
Juan should not shoot the ball unless it is a layup.
Fischer must give up 60+pounds to that elephant Smith.
Live by the Carlino, die by the Carlino. The guy has to learn when to quit gunning when the shot is not there.
Killed by FT's.
Looks like we have 2 scorers and bunch of role players. Must get some scoring from somewhere else. And if we are not raining 3's, where will it come from.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »
Looks like we have 2 scorers and bunch of role players. Must get some scoring from somewhere else. And if we are not raining 3's, where will it come from.

It would be so helpful if one of our wings could shoot even a mid range shot.  Probably going to have to wait until next year.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »
I was satisfied with the way the team played today. I felt we won the game on the last second shot but obviously the refs didn't .

I think this is a preview of our Big East tourney. We need Carlino and Duane to be hot at the same time. Everyone else has to play their roles . Hopefully Juan gets on a hot streak.

I think when JJJ is fully rehabbed we will be able to break through and win these pclose ones . The coach has him on a tight leash and focused.  We need his scoring threat.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »

It would be so helpful if one of our wings could shoot even a mid range shot.  Probably going to have to wait until next year.

I agree.  I had thought, early in the year, that Juan was going to have an outside shot this year.  Clearly that was wrong.  There are so many times, when the guards drive, that a kick out is wide open for Juan, but they don't look there, because he either won't shoot it or will miss.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
Well the good news is I think we can win the next 15.
Maybe....if we play every game like today, minus the last 2 minutes. Then we might come close.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »
Best game we've played this year.  Sad it had to end the way it did.  Couple tough calls went the other way.

Wojo made a HUGE mistake benching Duane for the 4 minutes from 8 minute to 4 minute mark.  

He took both of the Wilsons out together and our offense stagnated. Carlino was the only ball-handler and he was doubled every time down. That stretch with neither Derrick nor Duane out there definitely hurt us. One more reason we need to recruit at least one more if not two point guards for next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
He took both of the Wilsons out together and our offense stagnated. Carlino was the only ball-handler and he was doubled every time down. That stretch with neither Derrick nor Duane out there definitely hurt us. One more reason we need to recruit at least one more if not two point guards for next year.

Went from +2 to -3 when they were out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »
My favorite coaching move from Wojo today was when he shifted to a 1-3-1 and put Carlino at the base of the defense on Smith. It made it obvious just how much Smith was pushing, shoving, and throwing guys around. Carlino got blatantly fouled twice on that possession. I think everyone in the arena could see in that one offensive sequence how badly Smith was able to abuse our guys.

Well...everyone except the three guys with whistles in their mouths.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
I'm not sure if people don't understand that teams typically don't shoot 88% from the line or what.  Guess what?  If every team we play shoots 88% from the line against us, chances are they're going to have a big advantage at the free throw line.  If Georgetown shoots 88% from the line on the season they would lead the country from the line...by about 10%.  Unfortunately for us, they were hot from the line.  Nothing Marquette can do about it.  70% from the line, while not outstanding, is not as brutal as some here think it is.  Does it look bad because it's 18% worse than our opponent?  I guess, but 88% is absurd.  Props to them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

I'm just curious what Wojo's rationale was for taking Duane out for 4 minutes at that stretch of the game..a critical 4 minute stretch...when Duane absolutely had it rolling.  Duane only played 32 in an overtime game, in which he played all 5 of the OT.  Fatal mistake in this game in my opinion.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
Ners, please explain this to me. In one comment you seem to criticize the team for underachieving last year, pointing out that there were 3 NBAD League players on the roster. Very fair point. But then you say (for the 1,000th time) that it wasn't going to get any worse. This is what I don't understand. Take those three players away. Who replaced them? A redshirt freshman with zero college basketball experience (Duane) a transfer who is coming off an injury and hadn't played competitive basketball in over a year (Luke) and a graduate transfer who will likely never get a sniff in the NBAD League. How you can compare the rosters from last year to this and say things couldn't get worse is a mystery to me.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »

Sorry Brew, but at the eight minute mark Derrick came in for Duane.  Duane sat for next four minutes, believed he replaced Sandy and then joined Derrick on the court for final four minutes.

But, you are right re: next year.  Someone is needed to break the press, get the ball inside and be an outside shooter.  It is the press breaker that will be the key.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
Is there really no better/alternate view for Carlino's shot in an NBA arena? They found an aerial replay for Duane's 3, but couldn't use it for Carlino's?

That was my thought.  The angle they had was from slightly above so you can't tell if his foot was on the line because the shoe blots out the line.  The only way to tell is top down.

Oh well, good effort.....if only we played "smarter" like the Badgers did against Georgetown, we would have won by 3....eh Jakeec?

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
Always amusing to watch a game think the refs called plenty of BS on your team and got away with fouls all game and then read the opponents board and read that they thought the same thing happened to their team. guess we all see the game through our own biases.

Marquette shot out of their mind from 3 and almost stole this game. Luckily we shot out of our minds from the FT line to counter act that.

Bradley is a tough place to play. Only our second win there.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
Sorry Brew, but at the eight minute mark Derrick came in for Duane.  Duane sat for next four minutes, believed he replaced Sandy and then joined Derrick on the court for final four minutes.

But, you are right re: next year.  Someone is needed to break the press, get the ball inside and be an outside shooter.  It is the press breaker that will be the key.

Not sure about the time, but there was a stretch where Carlino was the only PG out there. Derrick and Duane were next to each other on the bench. And Carlino was blanketed by two defenders for the entire stretch. Killed our offense because he couldn't get free and there was no one else to distribute. Whatever the minutes were when that happened, it definitely happened and it sucked the life out of our offense.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Always amusing to watch a game think the refs called plenty of BS on your team and got away with fouls all game and then read the opponents board and read that they thought the same thing happened to their team. guess we all see the game through our own biases.

Marquette shot out of their mind from 3 and almost stole this game. Luckily we shot out of our minds from the FT line to counter act that.

Bradley is a tough place to play. Only our second win there.

Everyone does. At least four travels missed, one of which was bailed out by the refs granting a timeout, and you guys got to the line 32 times to our 20 in our gym. As both teams were attacking, that should never, ever happen. Foul count was close, but what was called and when just brutalized us. Not sure which was the worst, but the runner at the first half buzzer was absolutely atrocious.

Though I suppose in an overtime game, every single bad call that cost points one way or the other is arguably the determining factor in the game. One thing's for sure, Josh Smith should have fouled out with about 10 minutes left in the game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
I said the same thing

How about their "travel" when the hit the shot to end the first half.  Dickie said- that was not a travel coach wojo.  Anyone see that?  He stutter stepped

This was absolutely a travel--I've seen it several times now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
I agree.  I had thought, early in the year, that Juan was going to have an outside shot this year.  Clearly that was wrong.  There are so many times, when the guards drive, that a kick out is wide open for Juan, but they don't look there, because he either won't shoot it or will miss.

Juan has never had an outside shot.

connie

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
Now you know how our opponents felt the last 4 years with Davante.  Hard to officiate a guy who is so much more physical and strong than everyone else.  Felt there was only one questionable call that didn't go our way with Smith - and that was when he did drop his shoulder into Luke's chest and drop him to the floor in a non-flop.  
I agree, but Davante did most of his work with his rear.  Smith was throwing shoulders and double arm bars at Luke and was just crushing Carlino with his arms flying around.  It was really obvious.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
Everyone does. At least four travels missed, one of which was bailed out by the refs granting a timeout, and you guys got to the line 32 times to our 20 in our gym. As both teams were attacking, that should never, ever happen. Foul count was close, but what was called and when just brutalized us. Not sure which was the worst, but the runner at the first half buzzer was absolutely atrocious.

Though I suppose in an overtime game, every single bad call that cost points one way or the other is arguably the determining factor in the game. One thing's for sure, Josh Smith should have fouled out with about 10 minutes left in the game.

I disagree. He's bigger than everyone else. He shouldn't be punished for it like he is most games. He should be allowed to use his body like every other player smaller than he is. He gets fouled every time he touches the ball but refs let most of it go because he's bigger. There were tons of bad calls that went Marquette's way too. Not saying we didn't get some lucky calls, but the refs were hardly one sided in this game. They were bad both ways at times, but not nearly as bad as some of the other games we've had this season. For the most part they let the teams play. It's big east basketball.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »
I disagree. He's bigger than everyone else. He shouldn't be punished for it like he is most games. He should be allowed to use his body like every other player smaller than he is. He gets fouled every time he touches the ball but refs let most of it go because he's bigger. There were tons of bad calls that went Marquette's way too. Not saying we didn't get some lucky calls, but the refs were hardly one sided in this game. They were bad both ways at times, but not nearly as bad as some of the other games we've had this season. For the most part they let the teams play. It's big east basketball.

It was pretty much even all game until that stretch near the end of the 2nd half where seemingly 4 or 5 50/50 calls went your way. That's what made people on here mad.

feedback