[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G'town thoughts  (Read 28887 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: G'town thoughts
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
No you know how our opponents felt the last 4 years with Davante.  Hard to officiate a guy who is so much more physical and strong than everyone else.  Felt there was only one questionable call that didn't go our way with Smith - and that was when he did drop his shoulder into Luke's chest and drop him to the floor in a non-flop.  

Definitely agree. That was the only one I was truly upset about. The others I thought were good non-calls. Some of the fouls Smith drew I questioned however
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
In general, the officiating in the Big East is poor and inconsistent.  These 3 today were exceptionally poor.  

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
No you know how our opponents felt the last 4 years with Davante.  Hard to officiate a guy who is so much more physical and strong than everyone else.  Felt there was only one questionable call that didn't go our way with Smith - and that was when he did drop his shoulder into Luke's chest and drop him to the floor in a non-flop.  

Agree, to a point. I never felt like Davante fouled on the D end so blatantly. Also, getting into position against smaller guys (Carlino when we were 1-3-1), Smith was throwing his arms around like crazy.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

Seriously, how about the most blatant one, where Carlino was driving to the hoop and Smith just ran into him and knocked him over causing a TO.  He never set his feet and during contact kept leaning into him.  Blatant foul on Smith.

Or when Carlino was guarding him and he first pushed him to the ground.  Then when he got up almost knocked him down twice more swinging his arms into him.

Or the reach and push at the end on Carlino when he was hedging a screen (they actually always called that against Gardner).

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Luke has some talent, but needs to be more decisive when he gets the ball in the paint. I remember hearing he had a good 15-foot shot with 3-point potential. I don't recall him shooting a jumper this season. May help him get better looks inside.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
What was absolutely remarkable about Hopkins 11-12 effort was that he's a 54 percent FT shooter who went 0 for 6 from the line in a game just two weeks ago, which isn't easy to do.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
What was absolutely remarkable about Hopkins 11-12 effort was that he's a 54 percent FT shooter who went 0 for 6 from the line in a game just two weeks ago, which isn't easy to do.

Quite amazing, great job by the young man.  His shot at the FT line looked very comfortable. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
Love Marquette basketball.  This is a transition year and so my expectations are not high.  We play hard and are very fun to watch.  In fact we are much more exciting than the rodents who win but are boring to watch.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
Best game MU played this year.  It was nice to see well executed basketball for a change.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
Luke has some talent, but needs to be more decisive when he gets the ball in the paint. I remember hearing he had a good 15-foot shot with 3-point potential. I don't recall him shooting a jumper this season. May help him get better looks inside.

I agre, would like to see Wojo use Luke in different places on the court, totally back to the basket right now.  He shoots free throws nicely so I can see him taking a few jumpers.  It one in first game, since then not sure he has. His moves right now are to mechanical.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
Best game MU played this year.  It was nice to see well executed basketball for a change.

Be far, and most entertaining of the year, Derrick's dunk, maybe his first of his career, and Carlinos' crazy behind the head shot, plus Duane going off.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »

Agreed.  Also nice to see Duane continue to break out of his Freshman slump.  He hit the wall for a few games and his shot wouldn't fall....its falling again.

Great game from the Freshman.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »
Bradley Cooper gained 40 pounds for his American Sniper role, Fischer needs to call his trainer.  He has been manhandled in BE play by Stainbrook, Opbekpa, Smith,.... His 5 blocks were great, but otherwise his BE play will improve over the next year.
You just named 3 of the best big men in the country, let alone the Big East - and they all have other bigs on their teams too.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »
Marquette does not play smart. 
you don't post smart, tool.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 04:41:06 PM »
13-25 from three, with Carlino, Duane, and Sandy 13-19.  I know it's not Wojo's philosophy to give red lights if someone is open, but I could do without the usual bricking by Juan, STJ, and JJJ.  Let the real shooters chuck and get those three on the offensive glass, where we were extra poor today.

In general, the officiating in the Big East is poor and inconsistent.  These 3 today were exceptionally poor.  

It was bad enough that I wished for Jim Burr today.  

brandx

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »

7.  Good free throw shooting is contagious.

GT shot 88%  --  MU shot 70%

I stated a month ago that FT shooting would cost us. This won't be the last time.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
Sandy can play

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »

I stated a month ago that FT shooting would cost us. This won't be the last time.

Our two best FT shooters both missed the front end of 1-and-1's, while their two poor-to-mediocre FT shooters shot 17 of 19.  Game
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
You just named 3 of the best big men in the country, let alone the Big East - and they all have other bigs on their teams too.

Of course, the BE is a major conference and does have excellent bigmen.  Just like across the country with Ellis from Kansas, Okafor from Duke, Meeks from UNC, Cauley-Stein from Kentucky, Kaminsky from Wisky.  Those are just the center positions, not including the PFs they have and MU has Juan.  Fischer not in that category yet, but he needs to put on some muscle, work on a short face to the basket jumper and don't rely solely on that hook shot he utilizes on a constant basis.  His basketball skill set is great, but in last five BE games, I believe he has seven field goals or something to that figure.  Addition of Henry will help next year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Of course, the BE is a major conference and does have excellent bigmen.  Just like across the country with Ellis from Kansas, Okafor from Duke, Meeks from UNC, Cauley-Stein from Kentucky, Kaminsky from Wisky.  Those are just the center positions, not including the PFs they have and MU has Juan.  Fischer not in that category yet, but he needs to put on some muscle, work on a short face to the basket jumper and don't rely solely on that hook shot he utilizes on a constant basis.  His basketball skill set is great, but in last five BE games, I believe he has seven field goals or something to that figure.  Addition of Henry will help next year.

Luke has been getting abused in the BE.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »

Ed Corbett is a piece of sh*t.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
Now you know how our opponents felt the last 4 years with Davante.  Hard to officiate a guy who is so much more physical and strong than everyone else.  Felt there was only one questionable call that didn't go our way with Smith - and that was when he did drop his shoulder into Luke's chest and drop him to the floor in a non-flop.  
Pretty sure that Davante standing next to Smith, Davante would look like a Munchkin.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
Best game we've played this year.  Sad it had to end the way it did.  Couple tough calls went the other way.

Wojo made a HUGE mistake benching Duane for the 4 minutes from 8 minute to 4 minute mark.  
Wojo has done that the last 4 games.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »

We need to practice our......oh, wait.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
nt
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:10:25 PM by guzica »

feedback