[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JJJ #2 on SportsCenter Top 10  (Read 22406 times)

Wade for President

• All American
JJJ #2 on SportsCenter Top 10
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »
JJJ had a number of shots that looked like they were going to fall, but ultimately finished with one basket......that made #2 on ESPN's Top 10.

How many times did you rewind that dunk?  Over/under set at four.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: JJJ #2 on SportsCenter Top 10
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »
It was an amazing play, especially over Obekpa, but one highlight reel dunk then 0-4 the rest of the way = Trend Blackledge or Boo Christian.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
Did they show his ridiculous 1 on 4 turnover on the next play too?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
He dunked _around_ Obekpa.    Golly. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
Did they show his ridiculous 1 on 4 turnover on the next play too?

Imagine if Ners came onto a thread about a nice play by Derrick and said something similar. You're better than that. I think.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
He got away with it, because he set Obefka (sp) up by weakly driving on the previous play allowing the pervious shot to be blocked.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »
Imagine if Ners came onto a thread about a nice play by Derrick and said something similar. You're better than that. I think.

It was an exciting play.  But it was just two points.  He made a boneheaded play the next time down.  That is what is so frustrating about JJJ and why he doesn't play more.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »
Does JJJ know how to use his left hand, always drives right.  Easy to guard knowing that.  His game has a lot of deficiencies, like can not shoot but thinks he can.  Way overrated in high school
particularly his suppose ranking.  I hope Wally can show he deserves to play the wing next year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
JJJ's dunk was awesome, but it counted for exactly the same 2 points as his careless turnover seconds later cost us. If he learns that the sky's the limit. But until he does he hurts us on balance.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
He got away with it, because he set Obefka (sp) up by weakly driving on the previous play allowing the pervious shot to be blocked.

Now that's some basketball IQ.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
Meanwhile the play didn't crack Fox Sports Live's top 5. C'mon FS1, support your own product!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Some tough customers on here today, ragging on JJJ rather than getting excited about an MU player making #2 on the highlight reel.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Does JJJ know how to use his left hand, always drives right.  Easy to guard knowing that.  His game has a lot of deficiencies, like can not shoot but thinks he can.  Way overrated in high school
particularly his suppose ranking.  I hope Wally can show he deserves to play the wing next year.

Seriously, people really need to stop bashing JJJ and then think Wally is going to come in.

JJJ is light years ahead of what Wally was as a sophomore. Literally in another galaxy.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
This is proof ESPN is trying to screw us.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
Seriously, people really need to stop bashing JJJ and then think Wally is going to come in.

JJJ is light years ahead of what Wally was as a sophomore. Literally in another galaxy.

Then you better bring in another wing because I am not sold on JJJ at this point.  To skinny, no shot, no left hand, ball IQ?  Perfect example, makes great dunk, shows off, remember it still is only 2 points, then the next play totally out of control.  Needs some consistency, once he achieves that, I will be on his bandwagon.  Somebody has to step up but not sure Duane or JJJ will
do that.  Sandy is not quick enough to create his own shot, the other 2 are.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
Then you better bring in another wing because I am not sold on JJJ at this point.  To skinny, no shot, no left hand, ball IQ?  Perfect example, makes great dunk, shows off, remember it still is only 2 points, then the next play totally out of control.  Needs some consistency, once he achieves that, I will be on his bandwagon.  Somebody has to step up but not sure Duane or JJJ will

Guys get better. This isn't pro sports.

The majority of players are going to have pretty big flaws in their games for the first couple of seasons. They will show flashes of being very good/great (the dunk, sandy's teardrop, etc.) and then make some plays that will drive you insane (JJJ not fouling right away on an inbounds in the last 30 sec), Sandy turning it over, etc.

That's the nature of college ball. Always has been.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
All valid points.  I get that he had a few boneheaded plays, I get that he only one basket...but after being in the doghouse on Saturday, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that JJJ would've been #2 on Top Plays.

You never know...something as trivial as that, could help with his engagement/motivation/focus/passion.  

We need JJJ to get through this season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »

It was an exciting play.  But it was just two points.  He made a boneheaded play the next time down.  That is what is so frustrating about JJJ and why he doesn't play more.

Here's the problem:  Going 1 on 3 is NOT always a BAD play in transition when you have the defenders on their heels.  JJJ is BEST in transition.  There are plenty of very gifted guys athletically, that can weave up court in an loosely defined 1-3 situation and score.  JJJ as evidenced by the dunk the play before, was feeling confident, has the athleticism - and quite frankly was that last move away from getting all the way to the rack and very likely scoring.

The challenge is - when you have that kind of ability - it's hard not to use it.  Now, when you don't have that kind of ability, you don't even think about it.  You may call it boneheaded, which it would be if you don't have the athleticism/skill to convert that on a frequent basis.  Ever watch D-Wade, Westbrook, hell even Jerel could go 1-3 in transition and score frequently.  I personally don't have issues with aggressive, effort, plays, being made by guys with the requisite skill set resulting in turnovers.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »

JJJ is actually a very similar player to Vander as a sophomore, and skill wise, build wise.  Can he make the big step up as Vander did as a junior?  Personally, I feel JJJ has just as much skill if not more than Vander had at this point in his career as benchmarked against Vander as a sophomore.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
JJJ is actually a very similar player to Vander as a sophomore, and skill wise, build wise.  Can he make the big step up as Vander did as a junior?  Personally, I feel JJJ has just as much skill if not more than Vander had at this point in his career as benchmarked against Vander as a sophomore.

Vander made a huge jump from his soph to Junior year to becoming the go to guy.  Vander had a better left hand, but when it comes to there shot, both have quirky form in shooting.  Hope you are right.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

Offensively I agree, I think JjJ has more offensive skill than Vander did. Defensively however, I think Vander was years ahead of JjJ as a sophomore.
TAMU

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
Vander made a huge jump from his soph to Junior year to becoming the go to guy.  Vander had a better left hand, but when it comes to there shot, both have quirky form in shooting.  Hope you are right.

My mind immediately went to the Davidson game. [Drooling]

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »

I don't understand the JjJ ragging either. He is very solid for a top player off the bench. But I wouldn't sleep on Wally either. I'm not saying he will be better than JjJ. Just based on what I've heard from practice is that he is much better than his sophomore numbers would indicate.
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
Offensively I agree, I think JjJ has more offensive skill than Vander did. Defensively however, I think Vander was years ahead of JjJ as a sophomore.

I personally don't feel Vander was a better defender as a sophomore.  For all the plaudits Vander's defense garnered, he wasn't an impact defender in the way of statistical metrics.

I'm not sure Vander had much of a left hand as a sophomore?  Recall he still had an incredibly difficult time finishing at the basket - and just don't recall him ever using his left much at MU.  Of course Davidson game does come to mind.  :)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
I don't understand the JjJ ragging either. He is very solid for a top player off the bench. But I wouldn't sleep on Wally either. I'm not saying he will be better than JjJ. Just based on what I've heard from practice is that he is much better than his sophomore numbers would indicate.

Yeah like I've said I would LOVE for that to be true because his athleticism(that we know he has) is incredible. So the complete year off and being with a new team could do wonders for him for sure.

I just don't like people raging our current youngsters we have now but then thinking Wally(who they have probably never seen play in a real game, which I have many times) will come in and jack all there minutes. And I think JJJ while he clearly has a lot of issues is underrated on here.

If(and its a big if right now) he can find some sort of consistent outside shot I think he becomes real good. It would cut down on his forced TO's too because he won't have to feel like pushing it 1 on 4 is his only chance.

Right now though having seen Fr/So versions of both guys JJJ is far and away the better player. Hopefully next year we see that both have made huge jumps because if so...we will be damn good.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback