Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JJJ #2 on SportsCenter Top 10  (Read 22304 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: JJJ #2 on SportsCenter Top 10
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 07:25:49 PM »
Sultan, please. There is no point.
yes, after all, Ners played in HS.

We could never possibly understand the game like he does. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Have you seen him do it?  Because going "one on three" isn't exactly a nuance...it's pretty damn obvious.

Yes, I've seen JJJ be very successful in transition going against multiple defenders, along with going at multiple defenders in half court sets with success.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »
yes, after all, Ners played in HS.

We could never possibly understand the game like he does. 

One night and one night only ladies and gentleman! 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
Yes, I've seen JJJ be very successful in transition going against multiple defenders, along with going at multiple defenders in half court sets with success.

Name one time he has gone one on three on a fast break and been successful.  Just one.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »

Name one time he has gone one on three on a fast break and been successful.  Just one.

Sorry, I don't have a photographic memory.  What I know is that JJJ is absolutely at his best in transition, attacking the basket, and has done so many times beating one, two and at times three defenders in the process to score.

I know you felt it was boneheaded.  I know you value guys who do virtually nothing on the court, other than not make mistakes, but contribute nothing to the box score.  It's cool.  Nothing wrong with liking gritty, hustle and glue guys.  You need a few of those on every team.  You just don't max their minutes.  LOL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
Sorry, I don't have a photographic memory.  What I know is that JJJ is absolutely at his best in transition, attacking the basket, and has done so many times beating one, two and at times three defenders in the process to score.

I know you felt it was boneheaded.  I know you value guys who do virtually nothing on the court, other than not make mistakes, but contribute nothing to the box score.  It's cool.  Nothing wrong with liking gritty, hustle and glue guys.  You need a few of those on every team.  You just don't max their minutes.  LOL.

Yeah I figured you couldn't.  Time to move on.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:54 PM »

Yeah I figured you couldn't.  Time to move on.

Look, if you aren't able to see that JJJ scores about 90% of his points beating guys off the dribble, in transition, while attacking the basket - don't know what to tell you.  Because he scores this way 90% of the time I can't specifically isolate an example of how JJJ has been effective 1 on 3. Does he score 1 on 3 for most of his points?  OF course not.  And generally not 1 on 2 either.  Yet he does and has.

The whole point goes back to you saying it was boneheaded for JJJ to be aggressive like that in transition after his dunk the previous play.  What would be boneheaded would be watching your boy try something like that.  Actually, I wish he would, as maybe for once in the last two years we'd again have some semblance of a fast break/transition game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
I thought it was boneheaded because I doubt that it is a statistically good decision. That's all. I agree Jjj's at his best when attacking the basket in transition or on the bounce

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
I know you value guys who do virtually nothing on the court, other than not make mistakes, but contribute nothing to the box score. 

6 assists, 7 rebounds = contribute nothing to the box score
The dumbness keeps getting dumber
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 10:14:04 PM »
Any chance you can back up the statement that a 1 on 3 results has a "reasonable probability of success"?
First, if you carefully watch the replay of the tape , he blew by 3 guys on the dunk. Second , all most all if his points this year have been on drives through heavy traffic. Third, he was in the open court and with his speed he felt he could get to the rack. Bottom line a slasher , driver , transition guy is no different than a jump shooter. When a jump shooter misses a long shot he is labeled a chucker , when a driver misses he gets labeled bone headed. JJJ is very good in transition and driving and I am confident he gets a green light from Wojo in that regard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
First, if you carefully watch the replay of the tape , he blew by 3 guys on the dunk. Second , all most all if his points this year have been on drives through heavy traffic. Third, he was in the open court and with his speed he felt he could get to the rack. Bottom line a slasher , driver , transition guy is no different than a jump shooter. When a jump shooter misses a long shot he is labeled a chucker , when a driver misses he gets labeled bone headed. JJJ is very good in transition and driving and I am confident he gets a green light from Wojo in that regard.

I don't disagree with anything you said here. But, that wasn't really an answer to my question.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »
He's horrible.  He's even worse than I thought, and I was the lone wolf this summer questioning how he was a top 100 kid and why so many on this board were so excited about him.  He stinks. Minutes keep going down, never plays well against quality opponents, perimeter shot is atrocious (and that may be understating it). 

I truly believe Wojo has determined he's not in any way, shape, or form, part of MU's basketball future.  The handwriting's on the wall.  He'll be gone quickly when this season ends.

Four open scholarships for 2015-16, good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 01:08:29 AM »
He's horrible.  He's even worse than I thought, and I was the lone wolf this summer questioning how he was a top 100 kid and why so many on this board were so excited about him.  He stinks. Minutes keep going down, never plays well against quality opponents, perimeter shot is atrocious (and that may be understating it). 

I truly believe Wojo has determined he's not in any way, shape, or form, part of MU's basketball future.  The handwriting's on the wall.  He'll be gone quickly when this season ends.

Four open scholarships for 2015-16, good.

I'm sorry, but this is a dumb hyperbolic comment. People have no idea what to expect from top 100 recruits. I'm doing a little research for a PT article. For part of it I calculated the average stat line for a top 100 recruit from the class of 2013.

22.5 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 s/bpg, 1.4 tpg, .248 3P

Compare that to JjJ's stat line:

21.0 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.9 tpg, .171 3P

JjJ's numbers are slightly less than the average 2013 top 100 player. He was certainly overranked at 32. But to say he didn't belong in the top 100 simply isn't true. To suggest he's being forced out of the program is even more off the wall.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:40 AM »
JJJ's dunk was awesome, but it counted for exactly the same 2 points as his careless turnover seconds later cost us. If he learns that the sky's the limit. But until he does he hurts us on balance.

Bingo and he is not the only turnover expert.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588424

It was a great dunk.   JJJ played 12 minutes, shot 1-5 from the floor, 0-1 from 3 and had 2 TO's.    He had 5 rebounds.      More than Luke, more than Juan.   (Steve with 9, Derrick with 7)  In other words, he contributed, he played hard, he made a great dunk.   I hope he continues to work hard.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
My mind immediately went to the Davidson game. [Drooling]
Vander was horrible in the Davidson game.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »
Vander was horrible in the Davidson game.

He was our leading scorer and hit several big shots, one of which being the game winner. I'll take that any day out of Jajuannaman.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
I'm sorry, but this is a dumb hyperbolic comment. People have no idea what to expect from top 100 recruits. I'm doing a little research for a PT article. For part of it I calculated the average stat line for a top 100 recruit from the class of 2013.

22.5 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 s/bpg, 1.4 tpg, .248 3P

Compare that to JjJ's stat line:

21.0 mpg, 8.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.9 tpg, .171 3P

JjJ's numbers are slightly less than the average 2013 top 100 player. He was certainly overranked at 32. But to say he didn't belong in the top 100 simply isn't true. To suggest he's being forced out of the program is even more off the wall.

His minutes have been decreasing in conference play.  He had a DNP just two games ago.  Wojo and this staff didn't recruit him.   Cohen strongly appears to be on the fast track to taking many of his minutes. 

If you can't see this guy is just plain not a good player, and where this is headed, than you're either closing your eyes to reality, or are clueless.  One of the two.

JJJ's ability maybe belongs at the Horizon League level.   Maybe.

It's hilarious to see the people here trying to hold on to him being good and a future contributor in this program like their first born, when all evidence suggests the contrary.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »
His minutes have been decreasing in conference play.  He had a DNP just two games ago.  Wojo and this staff didn't recruit him.   Cohen strongly appears to be on the fast track to taking many of his minutes. 

If you can't see this guy is just plain not a good player, and where this is headed, than you're either closing your eyes to reality, or are clueless.  One of the two.

JJJ's ability maybe belongs at the Horizon League level.   Maybe.

It's hilarious to see the people here trying to hold on to him being good and a future contributor in this program like their first born, when all evidence suggests the contrary.

3 weeks ago Wojo didn't even think Sandy was good enough to play against DePaul.

Now Sandy is the future and JJJ is no good?

Maybe turn down the hyperbole. These are young players. There are going to be some ups and downs. Think big picture.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
I'll add that he's competing for minutes against all of seven other scholarship players.  If there was ever an opportunity for a player this is it.  And what's happened, his shot has continued to be about at Derrick Wilson's level, and his minutes have  decreased significantly since Big East play started ( the one blip being against Providence).  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
3 weeks ago Wojo didn't even think Sandy was good enough to play against DePaul.

Now Sandy is the future and JJJ is no good?

Maybe turn down the hyperbole. These are young players. There are going to be some ups and downs. Think big picture.

Here's the difference - Sandy is a true freshman.  JJJ is a sophomore in his second semester now.  Coaches often don't trust freshman in early parts of a season.  And now there minutes are going in opposite directions.  Sandy was on the floor in crunch time against SJU.

Not only that, Wojo recruited Sandy back to MU, didn't he? 

I am thinking big picture.  The difference between me and others here is I don't keep hoping against hope when my eyes tell me what is obvious.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »
Here's the difference - Sandy is a true freshman.  JJJ is a sophomore in his second semester now.  Coaches often don't trust freshman in early parts of a season.  And now there minutes are going in opposite directions.  Sandy was on the floor in crunch time against SJU.

Not only that, Wojo recruited Sandy back to MU, didn't he? 

I am thinking big picture.  The difference between me and others here is I don't keep hoping against hope when my eyes tell me what is obvious.

I'm not saying your eyes are wrong (that's a different debate).

What I'm saying is: You're taking too small of the sample size and projecting too far.

These are young players. They are going to look great sometimes, and other times they will look really bad. That's part of the growth.

Go back and look at the Luke Fischer thread. Some people were enamored with him and expectations went through the roof after his first few games. 1 month later, and we're getting a better picture of who he is as a player. He's got some holes in his game, but still a lot of potential.

If JJJ barely plays the rest of the season, and he's bad, then yes, you'll certainly have an argument. But, right now, it's a little early for that.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
I'm not saying your eyes are wrong (that's a different debate).

What I'm saying is: You're taking too small of the sample size and projecting too far.

These are young players. They are going to look great sometimes, and other times they will look really bad. That's part of the growth.

Go back and look at the Luke Fischer thread. Some people were enamored with him and expectations went through the roof after his first few games. 1 month later, and we're getting a better picture of who he is as a player. He's got some holes in his game, but still a lot of potential.

If JJJ barely plays the rest of the season, and he's bad, then yes, you'll certainly have an argument. But, right now, it's a little early for that.

A "small sample size" I'm taking??  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

He's played 38 games at MU.  The two MU teams he's been on have played 50 games, so he's had 12 DNP- Coaches decision in 12 of the 50.  He's never had an injury keep him from playing.

What exactly is your idea of a worthy sample size for a player?  OMG.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
A "small sample size" I'm taking??  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

He's played 38 games at MU.  The two MU teams he's been on have played 50 games, so he's had 12 DNP- Coaches decision in 12 of the 50.  He's never had an injury keep him from playing.

What exactly is your idea of a worthy sample size for a player?  OMG.

He's played LESS than 1/2 of his college career. This isn't Kentucky. Guys usually have big holes in their game their first 2 seasons.

When JJJ was playing well earlier this season, I don't recall you telling everybody that it was a mirage. (you might have, I honestly don't know).

My point is, it's easy to pile on a young player when he's playing bad.

1 month ago, Sandy didn't even get off of the bench. Now he's better. 1 month ago, JJJ looked pretty good, now he's struggling. 1 month ago, Luke looked amazing, now he's struggling to adjust.

Things change quickly with younger players. Probably should let him finish his soph. year before writing him off.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
Look, if you aren't able to see that JJJ scores about 90% of his points beating guys off the dribble, in transition, while attacking the basket - don't know what to tell you.  Because he scores this way 90% of the time I can't specifically isolate an example of how JJJ has been effective 1 on 3. Does he score 1 on 3 for most of his points?  OF course not.  And generally not 1 on 2 either.  Yet he does and has.

I'd actually agree with this. He scores 90% of his points like that. But that's the problem. He scores 90% of his points like that because his three point shot is way off and he doesn't have a midrange game.

Confused why you say it like it's a good thing...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback