'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:13:47 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW  (Read 44389 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Groom Duane Wilson as PG NOW
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
I had a friend in HS who was a big, strong kid even as a freshman. He was athletic and smart and could throw a football a mile. Freshman year, the coaches naturally tried to make him a QB. He looked the part, he had the skills but it just didn't click for him. Same thing sophomore year. As much as the coaches wanted him to be a QB, he didn't make option reads very well, he put no touch on his passes and he typically panicked and just ran the ball when passing plays were called. His junior and senior year, he backed up a 5'10" noodle-armed QB...but was a two-time All-Conference linebacker.

My point? No matter how much a player might "look the part" and no matter how hard he works and no matter how much the coaches may want a player to fit a specific position/role, sometimes it's simply not what's best for the team or the player.

I have no doubt that Wojo wants Duane to be MU's star PG from now until he graduates, but if Duane's game doesn't fit that role, Wojo would be doing a disservice to Duane and the entire team by trying to force him into it.

Replace Duane's name with Derrick above and your post couldn't be more accurate.  Although I'd say Derrick doesn't look the part of a PG.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Replace Duane's name with Derrick above and your post couldn't be more accurate.  Although I'd say Derrick doesn't look the part of a PG.

Simple question, Ners: Why have two separate, independent coaching staffs found it necessary to play Derrick so many minutes at PG when there are supposedly several better, obvious alternatives?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Simple question, Ners: Why have two separate, independent coaching staffs found it necessary to play Derrick so many minutes at PG when there are supposedly several better, obvious alternatives?

Because they didn't play high school basketball at a competitive level.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Because they didn't play high school basketball at a competitive level.

Except that one of those staffs is full of high major/pro  level talent at specifically the guard positions

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »
Except that one of those staffs is full of high major/pro  level talent at specifically the guard positions

Yeah, but what's a McDonald's All-American really worth? I mean, does that even count as competitive high school basketball? You really underestimate some of the basketball geniuses on this site.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »

One:  Buzz didn't have MU's best interests at heart last season.  Period.

Two:  Look at who Wojo was as a player.  Personal bias's do exist Merritt.  Some guys are just coaches types of guys due to make up.  Doesn't mean they are the best option for the position.  Posted this before.  Travis Diener before the season started commented on EVER player - except Derrick.  When asked about Dawson:  John's a great athlete that can knock down shots and help us.

Clearly, Diener had a different assessment on the player.  Player personnel people and coaches in front offices all over the sports world often have disagreements regarding a player's ability.

The problem is, that when your "chosen one" continues to be well below average for his position - and the losses keep mounting - at some point you need to course correct and at very minimum see if you've been taking the wrong approach.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
One:  Buzz didn't have MU's best interests at heart last season.  Period.

Two:  Look at who Wojo was as a player.  Personal bias's do exist Merritt.  Some guys are just coaches types of guys due to make up.  Doesn't mean they are the best option for the position.  Posted this before.  Travis Diener before the season started commented on EVER player - except Derrick.  When asked about Dawson:  John's a great athlete that can knock down shots and help us.

That would be "False" and "False."  (Seriously...drawing conclusions from a pre-season interview with the director of player personnel...)  ::)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:20 PM »

Buzz had Buzz's best interests at heart. Which meant winning as much as possible. He tried to do that, but the team as a whole just wasn't up to the task.

Two:  Look at who Wojo was as a player.  Personal bias's do exist Merritt.  Some guys are just coaches types of guys due to make up.  Doesn't mean they are the best option for the position.  Posted this before.  Travis Diener before the season started commented on EVER player - except Derrick.  When asked about Dawson:  John's a great athlete that can knock down shots and help us.

When will you finally accept that each staff evaluating Derrick as the best option at the point the past two years indicates he actually was the best option at the point? Christ, you constantly cite your "playing level" and you can't even begin to understand the level these guys are at. Wojo as a McDonald's All-American, the numerous players on the staff, or even Derrick, a starting high-major D1 point guard.

Just because I successfully threw a wadded up piece of paper in the garbage today doesn't mean I know more about shooting than Steve Novak. And in terms of comparative playing and evaluation ability, that's about even to the level you played at to where these guys are. When it comes to basketball, they are smarter than you. And I'm very happy to admit, smarter than me too.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »

That would be "False" and "False."  (Seriously...drawing conclusions from a pre-season interview with the director of player personnel...)  ::)

Buzz was gone as of early January.  The relationship between he and admin was shot by that time.  It was clear as day to anyone with a shred of intuition that something wasn't right with Buzz last year.  And viola - within a days of season ending - he's off to a bottom feeder in the ACC with an amazing contract that he negotiated without the help of an agent.  And let's be real - Buzz didn't have a whole lot of nice things to say about MU on his way out the door.  This wasn't Crean leaving for a blueblood IU.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »

Clearly, Diener had a different assessment on the player.  Player personnel people and coaches in front offices all over the sports world often have disagreements regarding a player's ability.

The problem is, that when your "chosen one" continues to be well below average for his position - and the losses keep mounting - at some point you need to course correct and at very minimum see if you've been taking the wrong approach.

While your reasoning falls on the spectrum somewhere between "far-fetched" and "beyond ridiculous," I appreciate you responding. If that's what you truly believe then so be it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »

Diener didn't comment on Derrick, because it wasn't needed, everyone knew what you get with him.  I assure you Diener agrees with Wojo on playing Derrick.  Diener thinks Derrick is a great leader, a fighter and plays mistake free basketball.  He is needed on the floor.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
Diener didn't comment on Derrick, because it wasn't needed, everyone knew what you get with him.  I assure you Diener agrees with Wojo on playing Derrick.  Diener thinks Derrick is a great leader, a fighter and plays mistake free basketball.  He is needed on the floor.

Have you talked to Travis? 

brandx

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »

Just STOP!!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »
Just STOP!!
He literally can't.  He needs to get help.  The kind a 60 day vacation would facilitate.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
He literally can't.  He needs to get help.  The kind a 60 day vacation would facilitate.

LOL - You seem to have an obsession as well.  How many posts about me are you going to make?  What's it been - about 15 this week?  Maybe you need a 30 day vacation?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
LOL - You seem to have an obsession as well.  How many posts about me are you going to make?  What's it been - about 15 this week?  Maybe you need a 30 day vacation?
You piss in every thread and make the board unreadable.  Live up to your own poll and leave.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
You piss in every thread and make the board unreadable.  Live up to your own poll and leave.

Spend less time focused on me and more time focused on making a good point here just once every blue moon.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Please don't "quote" THAT GUY.....ignore works nice except I see the P&M quotes making this board a no-read zone
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »
IGNORE is great therapy..   ;)   But it doesn't help when people box and quote him... ::)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »
Dicky Simpkins on Derrick Wilson, quotes during the game telecast.

"The 6'1" guard who plays like he's 6'10"."

"Well, Derrick Wilson is the heart and soul of this team.  He leads this team.  Everything that happens positive for them is generated off his energy defensively, his strength, his poise,..."

Just another dunce who played in the NBA for parts of seven 7 years, and quite a few years overseas.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:45:24 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »

"Well, Derrick Wilson is the heart and soul of this team.  He leads this team.  Everything that happens positive for them is generated off his energy defensively, his strength, his poise,..."

Just another dunce who played in the NBA for parts of seven 7 years, and quite a few years overseas.

Yeah, but did he play in high school???

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2015, 06:05:30 PM »

I am sure he tore it up in HS. How else do you become the smartest poster on this board?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »

Says the guy who sat in the bleachers watching high school games.  We can play this game Sultan.

"Well, Derrick Wilson is the heart and soul of this team.  He leads this team.  Everything that happens positive for them is generated off his energy defensively, his strength, his poise,..."

And in case you didn't know MURS - The MU PR Department went to work hard on Dickie several weeks ago.  Magically after never having anything of any consequence to say on DeWilson, magically one game weeks ago Dickie just began to gush profusely to depths and lengths never before even approached.  Mission accomplished though - as those less astute observers bit it hook, line and sinker.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
And in case you didn't know MURS - The MU PR Department went to work hard on Dickie several weeks ago.  Magically after never having anything of any consequence to say on DeWilson, magically one game weeks ago Dickie just began to gush profusely to depths and lengths never before even approached.  Mission accomplished though - as those less astute observers bit it hook, line and sinker.

I suppose that I wouldn't be shocked that this happened, but I'd be interested to know how you heard about it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
I suppose that I wouldn't be shocked that this happened, but I'd be interested to know how you heard about it.
He didn't.  It makes just enough sense that in Ners world it is now gospel truth.  Period.

feedback