[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wally!!  (Read 48315 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Wally!!
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
Im sure this has been investigated prior, but if MU could give Wally a full ride in Track (not sure if they can) couldn't he have walked on in basketball and played this year---essentially skating the transfer sit out rule?  This obviously did not happen, so I think I know the answer.

He'd still have to sit out even with being a walk-on (Jake Thomas, Dave Singleton as examples).

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
Im sure this has been investigated prior, but if MU could give Wally a full ride in Track (not sure if they can) couldn't he have walked on in basketball and played this year---essentially skating the transfer sit out rule?  This obviously did not happen, so I think I know the answer.

Basketball and football players cannot receive athletic scholarships from other sports and walk-on to basketball/football so that schools can't stash players in track, soccer, tennis, etc.  When Marcus West joined the Marquette basketball team, he had to give up his soccer scholarship to get a basketball scholarship and then walk-on to the soccer team.

I believe the hierarchy is 1) football, 2) basketball, 3) everything else.  I don't know if there are differences between hockey, soccer, or any of the other sports but for sure Wally cannot get a track scholarship and walk-on to the basketball team.  Otherwise Wojo could land 3 recruits and then offer "track" scholarships to some "walk-ons" and defraud the system by getting MU coaches and admin to go along with it.

Also, a football player can walk-on to the basketball team but a basketball player cannot walk-on for football.  The player would need to get a football scholarship and could then walk-on to the basketball team.  At least that is my understanding of how things work.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »
Yeah, yeah.  The difference Bleu is that I know exactly where I was and what I was watching that wonderful Monday night in 1977.  Young pup.   ;D

Glow, if you were on campus and remember that night, you were one of the few that did. Beer flowed even more freely than the rain that came that night right as the game ended.

Few remember a track meet decades later. Most of us who were on campus remember the last three weeks of March 1977. WE WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!

I think with Wojo we have a fighting chance of getting there again.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
As I understand it, the high jump has three parts

1) horizontal speed
2) Jump/explosive takeoff
3) technique

When you are of Wally's caliber, you are outstanding at all three.  The question for tip-offs is how good is he at #2.  I don't know the answer as I have not seen enough of him.

There is quite a difference at times between high jumping ability in the track sense and a standing vertical jump (tip-off). It's pretty common for people to be far better jumping off one foot as opposed to two, or vice versa. Most of the dunks I've seen from Wally are one-footed jumps on the run, whereas a lot of basketball players jump stop and explode off two. I suspect Wally is far better than the average person still off two feet, but it doesn't necessarily translate that he is world-class off of two just because he is a great high jumper.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
Basketball and football players cannot receive athletic scholarships from other sports and walk-on to basketball/football so that schools can't stash players in track, soccer, tennis, etc.  When Marcus West joined the Marquette basketball team, he had to give up his soccer scholarship to get a basketball scholarship and then walk-on to the soccer team.

I believe the hierarchy is 1) football, 2) basketball, 3) everything else.  I don't know if there are differences between hockey, soccer, or any of the other sports but for sure Wally cannot get a track scholarship and walk-on to the basketball team.  Otherwise Wojo could land 3 recruits and then offer "track" scholarships to some "walk-ons" and defraud the system by getting MU coaches and admin to go along with it.

Also, a football player can walk-on to the basketball team but a basketball player cannot walk-on for football.  The player would need to get a football scholarship and could then walk-on to the basketball team.  At least that is my understanding of how things work.
Ok--thanks for the info.
I thought I saw on ESPN 30 for 30--either the "U" or the "U2" where Miami gave some players track scholarships and they walked on to the football team, due to lack of scholarships. Don't know how they did that or if it was just cuz they are the U.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Ok--thanks for the info.
I thought I saw on ESPN 30 for 30--either the "U" or the "U2" where Miami gave some players track scholarships and they walked on to the football team, due to lack of scholarships. Don't know how they did that or if it was just cuz they are the U.

That was a slightly different situation. The two Miami players Aaron Moser and Santana Moss arrived under track scholarships.  They didn't play football (and wouldn't have been able to) until a football scholarship opened up.  The track scholarships were simply to get them on campus for one open scholarship. 

Apparently, Miami was holding one scholarship for the two of them, Moser wound up not getting the football scholarship, and Moss got the scholarship instead.

But he didn't play football under a track scholarship.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-09-19/sports/9709190027_1_scholarship-aaron-moser-santana-moss

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
Wally is scheduled to Jump Saturday afternoon (Feb 7) at Notre Dame's Meyo Invitational.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2014-15/depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20150205aaa.pdf
(see event #32 No. 18 on page 22)

This a one of the top NCAA indoor track meets and will be streamed live on Flotrack.org

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251950

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
Wally is scheduled to Jump Saturday afternoon (Feb 7) at Notre Dame's Meyo Invitational.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2014-15/depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20150205aaa.pdf
(see event #32 No. 18 on page 22)

This a one of the top NCAA indoor track meets and will be streamed live on Flotrack.org

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251950

Thanks Heisenberg.  I had heard he would only be jumping at Big East and NCAA's, but your are correct and he is definitely jumping and I will be spectating at the meet so will get to see him jump in person. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2015, 10:27:24 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2015, 07:02:55 AM »
So what were the announcers saying during the Villanova game about Wally trying to jump over MacIllvaine?  I had the sound down at that point and only caught part of it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:03 AM »
For midnight madness next October, Homer suggested that Wally high jump over Jim Mac  (7' 1").  Rafferty was repeating the story.  Rafferty also said he is friends with Homer and has known him forever.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
Onions in the face!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »
I believe the hierarchy is 1) football, 2) basketball, 3) everything else.

It goes a little deeper than that... don't know that it's ever relevant though...

Football, BBall, Men's ice hockey, women's volleyball, men's water polo and swimming [count swimming if both], others
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Wally won the Notre Dame Meyo Invitational this afternoon meet with a jump of 2.15m (7' 0.5").  Just enough to clear Jim Mac!

http://results.deltatiming.com/tf/2015-meyo-invitational/150206F032

While it was off his 2.28m (7' 5.75") world qualifying mark three weeks ago, let's remember that he WON one of the country's top meets.  He beat some very good jumpers in the process.

A basketball analogy is you won the S16 game to make the E8 but it wasn't a pretty game.  Hey, you won a S16 game!!

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Wally won the Notre Dame Meyo Invitational this afternoon meet with a jump of 2.15m (7' 0.5").  Just enough to clear Jim Mac!

http://results.deltatiming.com/tf/2015-meyo-invitational/150206F032

While it was off his 2.28m (7' 5.75") world qualifying mark three weeks ago, let's remember that he WON one of the country's top meets.  He beat some very good jumpers in the process.

A basketball analogy is you won the S16 game to make the E8 but it wasn't a pretty game.  Hey, you won a S16 game!!

While I didn't see his first meet in person, I did see the video from that meet and was at this meet in person.  A few points to make:

1) He definitely did not look like he had the springs today that he did at Madison.  Practicing for two different sports means he is going to be a bit tired at times and today he looked it. 

2) He most likely would have made the next height of 7'1 3/4", but he passed at that height and went straight to 7'3" and missed all three of his attempts, although two of them were close.

3) The Notre Dame high jump pit is on their indoor practice football facility, with field turf.  They put boards down with a rubberized surface for the approach to the high jump pit.  This is definitely not an ideal approach compared to a regular track surface and that may have had something to do with him not jumping as high today. 

4) From what I understand, he will jump in two more indoor meets, at Big East and NCAA's. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »
4) From what I understand, he will jump in two more indoor meets, at Big East and NCAA's. 

Are the Big East and NCAAs the two indoor meets or is it 2 indoor meets plus the Big East and NCAAs?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »
Are the Big East and NCAAs the two indoor meets or is it 2 indoor meets plus the Big East and NCAAs?

The BE and NCAA indoor meets, plus likely the entire outdoor season (which begins in late March).  MU has 11 outdoor meets, plus the BE outdoors, then the NCAAs.  The outdoor stuff begins around the time of the Final Four, so MU hoops will likely be long done.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2015, 09:32:52 AM »

Sorry, as I read what I wrote it could have been read either way, but as the above poster said it is just the Big East and NCAA's that he has left for indoors.  I am guessing he won't jump in every outdoor meet since there will still be some basketball activities and I also don't think they want him jumping if the weather is bad and that can certainly be the case in the spring in the Midwest.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
This is for anyone that is interested in the high jump

Mutaz Essa Barshim of Quatar cleared 2.41m yesterday in Asia.  (7' 11") and then had the bar raised to a new world indoor record of 2.44m (8' 0.6").  He was gunning for a world recrod that has held since 1989 and he narrowly missed.  He's not done trying to set a new WR.
http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/02/19/4035882-what-gravity-mutaz-thrills-athlone/

Someone used Photoshop to put 2.41M (7' 11") jump into prospective.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
This is for anyone that is interested in the high jump

Mutaz Essa Barshim of Quatar cleared 2.41m yesterday in Asia.  (7' 11") and then had the bar raised to a new world indoor record of 2.44m (8' 0.6").  He was gunning for a world recrod that has held since 1989 and he narrowly missed.  He's not done trying to set a new WR.
http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/02/19/4035882-what-gravity-mutaz-thrills-athlone/

Someone used Photoshop to put 2.41M (7' 11") jump into prospective.

Those are cool pix, but since a basketball hoop is 10 feet high and that appears to be only a foot or so lower, it's not exactly accurate. Cool, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2015, 05:38:58 PM »
No, the bar looks about 24 inches lower.  But to clear that bar the top of his body was would just about touch the rim.

Oh ... lower the bar 6 inches and you have Wally 2.28 (7' 5.75") clearance.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Marquette Athletics ‏@muathletics  19m19 minutes ago
.@MUTFXC in action on Friday at UWM and NCAA's top high jumper Wally Ellenson will compete. Meet starts at 4 p.m.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
Marquette Athletics ‏@muathletics  19m19 minutes ago
.@MUTFXC in action on Friday at UWM and NCAA's top high jumper Wally Ellenson will compete. Meet starts at 4 p.m.

I was just going to post that as well. Confirmed with the track coach and he is definitely jumping today. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
Glow, if you were on campus and remember that night, you were one of the few that did. Beer flowed even more freely than the rain that came that night right as the game ended.

Few remember a track meet decades later. Most of us who were on campus remember the last three weeks of March 1977. WE WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!

I think with Wojo we have a fighting chance of getting there again.

Sorry.  Hadn't seen this.  Too young to be on campus.  Used my one skip in drivers ed.to watch the game on TV with my alumni folks.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
The coach was guessing Wally won't be jumping until closer to 6 even though the meet starts at 4, if anyone is interested in watching a potential national champion right here in Milwaukee at the Klotsche center.