Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is this year's team better than last year's team?  (Read 26191 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Is this year's team better than last year's team?
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »
This year's team gives hope.

Last year's team stole hope and replaced it with resignation.

Well stated.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
I agree with your Big East prediction, but Derrick Wilson is not what will limit this team.  Carlino, and Steve Taylor are bigger liabilities currently in this season than Derrick Wilson is.  For example there is a noticeable difference in the 1-3-1 without Derrick running the baseline 1, that's not something that shows up on stat sheets.

If Derrick played exactly as he is, but Teve were able to produce 25 min a game at 8 pt and 7 boards(which isn't that much higher than his 23.9, 5.7, 4.9 averages) a game I'd up my prediction to 10-8 or 11-7.

I think your point is a good one. However, my view to STjr is he is damaged goods and we are getting max production out of him. Just to make it clear I am not blaming anything on Derrick. My view is he is maxed out to his capability and he lacks an ability to get the most out of certain guys, particularly JJJ who have much higher ceilings.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
I actually think Derrick might be just starting to play to his potential. His shooting numbers are up and he looks more comfortable. I wonder what he might be doing of his confidence hadn't been so damaged last year. Wojo is getting way more out of him than Buzz ever did.

Buzz is a good coach, but the last few years he did a poor job of recruiting players that were a good personality fit. Davante, Jamil, Juan, and Derrick simply didn't react to his style the way Jae, DJO, Jimmy, and Junior did. I'd love to know what Derrick might have become with a Wojo type personality coaching him the past three years. I think he would be a vastly different player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
I actually think Derrick might be just starting to play to his potential. His shooting numbers are up and he looks more comfortable. I wonder what he might be doing of his confidence hadn't been so damaged last year. Wojo is getting way more out of him than Buzz ever did.

Buzz is a good coach, but the last few years he did a poor job of recruiting players that were a good personality fit. Davante, Jamil, Juan, and Derrick simply didn't react to his style the way Jae, DJO, Jimmy, and Junior did. I'd love to know what Derrick might have become with a Wojo type personality coaching him the past three years. I think he would be a vastly different player.

His corner 3s vs creighton were really nice. Stepped in and shot with confidence and nailed them with good form. I wonder if he feels more comfortable shooting from certain areas of the court.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:08 PM »
I actually think Derrick might be just starting to play to his potential.

Two more years! Two more years!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »

Yep.

I recall an episode of Inside Marquette Basketball during Derrick's freshman season.  Derrick had taken a rare field-goal attempt the previous game, and Krause he asked Buzz about it. Buzz said something along the lines of "if Derrick takes one shot, that's one too many."  Wojo, on the other hand, has said that he expects Derrick to hit a game winning free throw before the end of the year.  Given Derrick's dramatic improvement, it appears that he responds better to the latter style.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »

How would he be a vastly different player in your opinion? He never seemed to me, to have a lot of untapped potential waiting to be unlocked. He's more of a try hard, maximum effort guy imo. I also don't understand his confidence being damaged. He was given the reigns last year and played the most minutes on the team, even when logic would state that he shouldn't have.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 11:05:40 PM »
I know you're anti-Derrick from the word go, but his shooting numbers are all career highs. Derrick has a good looking shot. His ability to drive and conversion rate around the hoop has been better. I think off Derrick had this type of coaching from the start we might have seen this type of player his sophomore year.

He would never be a NBA player, but I do think he'd be a more confident and reliable shooter. Under different circumstances, he has the skillset to be a 10/4/4 guy. Derrick scored at every level, including averaging 19, 23, and 17 points per game in his three years as his prep school league's best offensive player.

Then he gets here, is told to never shoot, and his confidence is destroyed. This is a kid who was the best player as a junior on a Hotchkiss team with 4 D1 players. Derrick has played better with one year of confidence. I think it's entirely possible he'd be even better if he'd been given similar confidence the first three years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »
He was given the reigns last year and played the most minutes on the team, even when logic would state that he shouldn't have.

Logic? Whose logic? The logic that said we needed Dawson instead of Derrick? Those were our two alternatives. Buzz's logic gave Derrick 3 times more minutes than Dawson. Wojo was giving Derrick 50 times more minutes. So I guess if Buzz was illogical Wojo is certifiably insane. OR you're just dead wrong - now that's logical!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
Logic? Whose logic? The logic that said we needed Dawson instead of Derrick? Those were our two alternatives. Buzz's logic gave Derrick 3 times more minutes than Dawson. Wojo was giving Derrick 50 times more minutes. So I guess if Buzz was illogical Wojo is certifiably insane. OR you're just dead wrong - now that's logical!

Was just about to say the same.

Wojo'sMojo:Ners - Hoopaloop:Chicos

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »
Yes, better than last year's team, based on my personal calculations.

Pomeroy is a rating system, not a ranking system

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2015, 12:34:35 AM »
Was just about to say the same.

Wojo'sMojo:Ners - Hoopaloop:Chicos

jesmu84

• All American

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »
How would he be a vastly different player in your opinion? He never seemed to me, to have a lot of untapped potential waiting to be unlocked. He's more of a try hard, maximum effort guy imo. I also don't understand his confidence being damaged. He was given the reigns last year and played the most minutes on the team, even when logic would state that he shouldn't have.
I don't think you know what logic is.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Also feels like there's less drama.

Yeah...the four transfers and the bloodied hand have been calming moments this season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
Yeah...the four transfers and the bloodied hand have been calming moments this season.

Drama overlooked in the honeymoon phase.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

Four?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
Four?

Should have said "transfer out" leaving open roster spaces.  Mayo, Levin, Burton, Dawson. Mayo not technically a transfer as he "went" pro.  My bad.  Drama none- the-less.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:34:01 AM by Dr. Blackheart »