Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Day Experience???  (Read 25678 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Game Day Experience???
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
Am I the only one that couldn't care less about gameday giveaways?

I remember the final four ring, and the wade bobblehead, but I've never been that into collecting that stuff.

Maybe I'm a minimalist at heart.

As far as overall "gameday experience", to me, the students make all of the difference in the world. When they are there, and they are into it, it completely changes everything for me.

I don't care about give aways either.  The Al Night hats were always nice, even if not of the best quality.  However, I can do without the giveaways and have MU keep that money or sponsors money.

But the game day experience, when the on court event is down, should be pumped up. I'm no marketing guy, but when the team is down, I'd suggest adding more game day experience things.  Check out an admirals game sometime.
Heck, even a half time singing contest would be better than what we have.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
What game were you at.  ::) The upper deck of the student section was almost filled to the top with many gaps in the rows. I would say the student section of the upper deck was 65% filled.  

Yep. I don't understand what game that guy was at. More stuffers last night than the home opener for sure. Which surprised me considering Creighton isn't exactly a huge opponent.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
Playing like Louisville is the game day experience I want. No need for giveaways or halftime entertainment here.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
What game were you at.  ::) The upper deck of the student section was almost filled to the top with many gaps in the rows. I would say the student section of the upper deck was 65% filled.  

Agreed.  It looked more like what Hilltopper was describing at tipoff, but kids continued to file in throughout the 1st half.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Agreed.  It looked more like what Hilltopper was describing at tipoff, but kids continued to file in throughout the 1st half.

That could explain it.  I suppose I didn't take note of it later, but when the game started, I stand by my 10% figure.  Shocked it grew higher than that, though.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »
That could explain it.  I suppose I didn't take note of it later, but when the game started, I stand by my 10% figure.  Shocked it grew higher than that, though.

I think a lot of kids took busses in and they must have been late. The upper level was probably 60-70% filled. Which was nice to see.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »

It was weird though. at the start of the game only the middle section had people in it. Halftime comes and 70% of the student section upper is full. Looks like students decided to come very late to the game.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »
Yep. I don't understand what game that guy was at. More stuffers last night than the home opener for sure. Which surprised me considering Creighton isn't exactly a huge opponent.
First game back for the students to attend, since Dec. 8th finals week.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »
Crean's gameday experience must have fallen off. I went to an IU game in December and there was surprisingly little to no fanfare. No Kiss/Smile/Dance cam, no t-shirt parachutes, the band played a little a halftime, the student section wasn't close to being filled, and they didn't play much music. Granted, it was an interior opponent (Savanna State) but the students were still on campus and it was still incredibly underwhelming.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
I was talking about this last night with some friends at the game.  We were "spoiled" a few years ago with bobble heads, youth D-Wade uni's, t-shirts for us, half-time entertainment,  Heck even the alumni from the different sports were brought into the Cambria club (early season game), usually three sports at a time.  Was great alumni relation stuff for the former athletes.  I know it all costs money.  The only new thing I have really noticed this year is that you can pay more money when you get the the game to move down to a better seat, no thanks.

On a side note, the times of the games has really hampered the pre-game post game revelry.  I would rather have the fox sports money and play when they tell us to play, but a sat night game would be nice

This is a serious understatement. I think Saturday night games would instantly boost attendance, all else being the same.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »
This is a serious understatement. I think Saturday night games would instantly boost attendance, all else being the same.

Pretty sure the Bucks and the Admirals have dibs on Saturday night.
Have some patience, FFS.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Crean's gameday experience must have fallen off. I went to an IU game in December and there was surprisingly little to no fanfare. No Kiss/Smile/Dance cam, no t-shirt parachutes, the band played a little a halftime, the student section wasn't close to being filled, and they didn't play much music. Granted, it was an interior opponent (Savanna State) but the students were still on campus and it was still incredibly underwhelming.
I think Crean may have gotten some pushback on the atmosphere at Assembly Hall. Indiana is as traditional as they come and changes are not always welcome. Every time they hire a new coach one of the first questions is always about the candy striped warm ups and will they keep them.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
You would think that Marquette would find a local company to sponsor some random giveaways.  Where's Joe Terrian when you need him?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
Pretty sure the Bucks and the Admirals have dibs on Saturday night.

The Bucks I get...but the Admirals? Why is MU behind crappy minor league hockey that draws what, about 4,000 a game?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
Attendance is significantly down. I do not think the badger game even sold out. My section 227 was full of people wearing Hegner shirts, which means the long-term ticket holders are selling their tickets. A significant amount of the upper deck was empty last night and I was wondering, if MU will ever sell out again. With the games being on Fox sports you can save a lot of money just staying home and I think that is going to bite MU in the end. It will be interesting to see, if Ellenson will have a huge effect on attendance. My guess is that if MU, does not block the home games from being on TV they will continue to fall in attendance. Less attendance, less money to spend will be a huge detriment to the program.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 01:28:29 PM »
The Bucks I get...but the Admirals? Why is MU behind crappy minor league hockey that draws what, about 4,000 a game?

The Admirals have 3 homes games on Saturdays during the MU season.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
My guess is that if MU, does not block the home games from being on TV they will continue to fall in attendance.
Bill Wirtz says hello.

MUwarrior16

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
What happened to the gatling t-shirt gun? not that it reached the 400 level anyhow but...

lawsuits

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
Agreed on all the above.   While the past 18 months has seen MU's on-court entertainment value plummet .. the game day experience has also decreased substantially.

No more bobbleheads, no more towels, no more cups or paperweights, etc.  Last year they brought back the magnet, but that appears gone this year.

Wow .. everything is gone:  http://www.gomarquette.com/tickets/m-baskbl-promotions.html

Correct this if it's wrong, but I thought the Fox Sports contract was going to bring even more revenue than the ESPN contract did?  And didn't our coaching expense go down?  

.. No half-time entertainment .. not even the little kids' basketball stuff.  

.. And for the love of all that is holy, get someone to sing the damn national anthem.  >:( Couldn't believe that for the Badger game, the biggest game of the year .. zip.  No singer.   I've mentioned this to MU before, and they've suggested it's because of scheduling and TV, like a singer might take longer to finish the anthem than the band.    

Seems really weak to suggest you can't tell a random student with a good voice they need to keep a regular tempo.

Add in all these 8pm start times .. brutal.    

After a decade+ of going to nearly every home game .. I've skipped half this year.   A past thread figured out MU lost about 1500 season ticket seats this season .. I'll bet that trend continues.  

Sad, really.

Geez, an 8pm start is brutal????

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
Those teams pay to play at halftime.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/dnQ6GVbJJdk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/dnQ6GVbJJdk</a>

Seriously, Marquette??!?  When you have nothing better than musical chairs, you're going to charge the kids from St. Whositnow to play?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »

Gee, I don't know....maybe because the Admirals' owners paid for the arena?   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Gee, I don't know....maybe because the Admirals' owners paid for the arena?   ;D

The Pettits still own that team? How many Pettits are still around?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
The Pettits still own that team? How many Pettits are still around?

I don't know if they own it still or not, but even if they sold it, I would think they would transfer whatever arena-related perks the team has along with everything else.
Have some patience, FFS.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
I don't know if they own it still or not, but even if they sold it, I would think they would transfer whatever arena-related perks the team has along with everything else.

Well, that needs to change with the new arena. The BC was build for the NHL team that never came. The new building needs to be designed for hoops...with the Bucks and MU receiving the best dates.

feedback