collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MUScoop moderation angst thread  (Read 17243 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
MUScoop moderation angst thread
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:19:44 PM »
It's clear to me that a lot of folks don't like my (our) moderation of the NN thread.  Well, you'll have to suck it on that thread.  But let us have it here.  We're not that sensitive, I just refuse to let you ruin that thread.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: MUScoop moderation angst thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »
It's clear to me that a lot of folks don't like my (our) moderation of the NN thread.  Well, you'll have to suck it on that thread.  But let us have it here.  We're not that sensitive, I just refuse to let you ruin that thread.

It was ruined by your complete lack of common sense. Pretty pathetic. I have been on this board since damn near day one and the so called freedom judgement line you take is just asinine lately. I guess you love having slanderous claims about minors (and ones who committed to the school you're a "fan" of) just spread throughout MU community on your watch. Big fuc-king guy you are. Way to keep your moral compass strong standing up for those who hide behind screen names. Jesus you obviously got dropped on your head as a child or your mom drank, smoked and dropped acid while she was preggo with you. You're really missing the big picture here and are letting stubbornness cloud your judgement.

I mean we're talking about a KIDS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S A unnatural carnal knowledgeING KID!!!!!!! Use your brain and some common sense. That thread is a pathetic example of our fan base and that fact you encourage that trash speaks volumes about your character. I used to really stand up for this board - it's hard to now when you opening want people to spread false rumors about children and their mental health while accusations of drug abuse fly. You're a pathetic person for endorsing that crap.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:40:32 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
Rocky,

What's been your experience with depression?  Any family, friends, etc?  Serious question.

By the way, I really do appreciate everything you and the mods do to make this board possible.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
I never met either of my grandfathers because of it.  And there are some much younger members of my family that deal with it now too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that.  My wife and I have found two neighbors close to death in separate suicide attempts.  Just sucks.

We must be at different points on this issue.  When you literally see someone try to take their own life, it can change your perspective.  Also knowing that when someone is in a "bad place" and they know that they are the focus of some not so kind rumors, it  can have a very dangerous affect on them.  Unfortunately, I've seen how that can turn out.  Several times.

Hope that explains my position on yesterday's thread.

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Noskowiak?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:54:26 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna go back though and delete all the recent "please delete this thread" posts.  

You are the folks actually ruining this thread.  Nuff said.

Yeah but the baseless accusations of a teen with issues beyond his controlwho has embraced Marquette are just fine by you. Character revealed indeed.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
It's clear to me that a lot of folks don't like my (our) moderation of the NN thread.  Well, you'll have to suck it on that thread.  But let us have it here.  We're not that sensitive, I just refuse to let you ruin that thread.

So posters asking for the thread to be edited or locked caused it to be ruined? I would have thought it was ruined by accusations of substance abuse by a minor. I'm confused.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »

Wow - this thread is an embarrassment to the school.  But the "please delete this threads" are the problem.  What a flicking joke

Ok, I'm gonna go back though and delete all the recent "please delete this thread" posts.  

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »

What an embarrassment you are.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
fuc king pathetic.  This might be the John Eshoo day of muscoop.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:37:33 PM »
I a stunned that rocky let people essentially slander and besmirch an ill, incoming recruit and seem to revel in the fact he does it.
Can we speculate on some of the issues he has and have it remain publicly for his family and friends to see?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
Guys take a step back if this was Dodds board yall would be banned by now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »
Rocky, ave you read the entire thread?   Obviously not.  Disgusting.  Sure there are nice posts later, but earlier on.  Nope.  You are a. Slacker.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
There is an inaccurate, and potential libelous statement posted by "BC Hoopster" about one of Marquette's incoming recruits.  He even indicated that it was inaccurate later on in the thread.  Yet the inaccurate statement remains on the board.

It baffles me how you think that is an appropriate way to moderate a message board.  Your role isn't simply to provide a forum for people to say whatever they want.  You guys have a responsibility too, and you aren't fulfilling that right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
Rocky - I support your decision.  

Nick has gone public with his issue, and that makes it completely appropriate - in fact, important - for us to discuss it out in the open like any other illness.  Open discussion is a key step in helping people to understand that mental illness is real, and not something taboo to be swept under the rug.  Confusion about the real issue - was it drug abuse, depression? - is a key part of that open discussion.  It shows that mental illness can manifest in so many different ways.

And yes, I know what I'm talking about.  I am dealing with depression, and tried for a while to keep it hidden.  People at work speculated wrongly about what was going on, but that speculation showed me that they cared, that they were thinking about me.  When I came forward to many of my colleagues, the outpouring of support was truly humbling.

Best to Nick!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Geez. This thread is almost as bad as the Ners self banning poll.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
I'd like to point out that individual posters can always edit their posts.  You can take that up with them.

Rocky, ave you read the entire thread?   Obviously not.  

I unfortunately have an affliction that makes me read every post on the Al board.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »
Rocky - I support your decision.  

Nick has gone public with his issue, and that makes it completely appropriate - in fact, important - for us to discuss it out in the open like any other illness.  Open discussion is a key step in helping people to understand that mental illness is real, and not something taboo to be swept under the rug.  Confusion about the real issue - was it drug abuse, depression? - is a key part of that open discussion.  It shows that mental illness can manifest in so many different ways.

And yes, I know what I'm talking about.  I am dealing with depression, and tried for a while to keep it hidden.  People at work speculated wrongly about what was going on, but that speculation showed me that they cared, that they were thinking about me.  When I came forward to many of my colleagues, the outpouring of support was truly humbling.

Best to Nick!

If the thread was just about his depression, I would be fine with it.  The problem is that it has inaccurate statements about Nick that are sitting there for anyone to read.  That isn't appropriate.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
Geez. This thread is almost as bad as the Ners self banning poll.

Well, I was feeling guilty about blatantly deleting every "you suck" post on the NN thread.  This gives me a place to move them, and let others recreate the ones they posted.  As with NN, it's important to lets folks get this anger off their chests.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
Honestly, I think you completely misunderstand the issue as I see it. The thread was wildly off topic. Sure it changed for a heartbeat later, but the majority of an extant thread about Nick Noskowiak is actually mostly about Chicos and Carlino.

Then you get a few moments of support (after pages of slander) and say other people are ruining it. What was ruining it was that a serious subject was at best the fourth most popular topic in the thread.

And after the announcement from Nick just how long did it take to go off topic again? That's why it should be closed. Because it will inevitably get off topic like it already has multiple times both before and after Nick's post.

You aren't showing respect, you are inviting disrespect. But hey, whatever it takes to convince you free speech is alive, just as long as you have time to censor everyone who suggests a soft touch. It's ironic, in your quest to preserve free speech, you end up censoring more speech than you protect.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
Well, I was feeling guilty about blatantly deleting every "you suck" post on the NN thread.  This gives me a place to move them, and let others recreate the ones they posted.  As with NN, it's important to lets folks get this anger off their chests.

What "anger?" 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »

What "anger?" 

Have you read chili's (not the real one) and pbi's posts?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »
What an embarrassment to Marquette.  Goodbye like many others...

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
Have you read chili's (not the real one) and pbi's posts?

They aren't angry at NN.  They are angry that you are allowing lies about him to be displayed on your message board.  And then you say people should take it up with the individual poster?  So you have basically abstained from all moderation responsibilities?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
So for the people who are claiming libel - what libelous statements were made?

If you think the speculation about painkiller addiction is libelous, you clearly don't understand mental illness...and the fact that painkiller addiction is simply one of the possible manifestations of depression or other mental illnesses.

To put it in proper perspective - if we call it libel when a guy has depression and people speculate that he has painkiller addiction, it would also be libel if he had a low ankle sprain and people speculated that he had a high ankle sprain.  If we treated the situations differently, we would be acting as though mental illness is "different" from other health issues.  That kind of thinking is what got mental illness the stigma that we're trying to transcend.

Painkiller addiction is an illness, not a character flaw.  Depression is an illness, not a character flaw.  And speculating (even wrongly) about them is not libelous.

feedback