[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Deonte Burton Explains Why He Transferred  (Read 27193 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Deonte Burton Explains Why He Transferred
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »
Let me carefully say something potentially indelicate.  

Is this how Burton feels or is this what he needs to say to get a NCAA waiver?

Again, just asking

Burton Prepares For Lull in Competition
Jan 09, 2015 | 11:46 am

http://iowastate.scout.com/story/1500535-burton-prepares-for-lull-in-competition

Deonte Burton is in Ames, but is now preparing for a year away from competitive basketball

For the first time in a long time, Deonte Burton will take in basketball from afar.

More specifically, Burton will watch from the baseline at Hilton Coliseum for the good part of the next year after he transferred from Marquette this semester.

“I’m trying to prepare for it,” Burton said. “[The hardest part is] just being able to watch. I have to be the best cheerleader there is, I would say.”

Burton, a 6-foot-4 guard/forward, chose Marquette over Iowa State out of high school, and played in the first eight games this season (after averaging 6.9 points per game over the course of last season), averaging 6.4 points per game before choosing to transfer. Burton’s decision was made largely to get farther away from home after the passing of his mother this fall.

“It’s a perfect fit,” Burton said. “Iowa State, it’s a lot of transition, and it feels like a new family. I wanted to get further away from home.”

“It wasn’t too far away from home, but it was far enough away from home where I could leave the troubles of home. At home, my mother just died, so I didn’t want to be around the whole atmosphere of that.”

At Iowa State, Burton, who is a left-handed shooter with a wingspan of nearly seven feet, will sit out this season and the first semester of next season before becoming eligible at the Big Four Classic in December. Burton will have 1 1/2 seasons of eligibility unless the NCAA grants a waiver.

Burton is an athletic player with an ability to make plays above the rim, but his key area of focus remains consistency with his jumpshot. Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg has had the conversation, and Burton is keen on improving.

“He’s really athletic and he can play different spots on the court,” said Jameel McKay, who also transferred from Marquette and is friends with Deonte. “With this year sitting out, I feel like he can develop his jumpshot to keep improving. Once he develops that — he’s already tough to guard — I think he’ll be impossible to guard once his jump shot is falling consistently.”

As for sitting out, Burton plans to rely on teammates for help during the process. McKay thinks it could ultimately help Burton improve.

“You get to see the game from a different view and you just get to get better,” McKay said. “Sometimes he’ll forget that he’s not playing because it’s such a family environment. He’ll be treated the same regardless if he’s playing or not.”
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:54:07 PM by Heisenberg »

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Deonte Burton Explains Why He Transferred
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
Amazing a scout.com writer doesn't how to appropriately explain eligibility matters.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd guess the waiver has some more specifics -- I'd leave it alone and simply wish him the best. He's a great player and from what I've seen (limited, but...) a great kid. Will miss him, but hope for all good things for Deonte.

(Obviously he has 2 years of eligibility remaining after this season. If there's no waiver, he may choose to play beginning in December 2015 -- or to wait until 2016-17 and play two full years after then.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
The hard reality is that Deonte isn't a great player.  He's a great vertical athlete who hasn't developed all of his skills.  Still doesn't use his right hand, doesn't use his body enough to post up on offense, stays too high on defense, doesn't always attack the boards.....

I feel for the situation he's in and I hope he finds his game under the tutelage of Hoiberg in Ames and am in no way bitter he transferred.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:36:43 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
The hard reality is that Deonte isn't a great player.  He's a great vertical athlete who hasn't developed all of his skills.  Still doesn't use his left hand, doesn't use his body enough to post up on offense, stays too high on defense, doesn't always attack the boards.....

I feel for the situation he's in and I hope he finds his game under the tutelage of Hoiberg in Ames.

Deonte is left handed. I'm guessing you meant he hasn't developed his right hand.  I agree with you though.  Burton is more athlete than basketball player.  A streak scorer, a gambling defender and a shockingly poor rebounder for someone with his strength and athleticism.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
With all due respect, I don't care why he wanted to leave. I don't really care if he's happy in Ames. He has moved on...and so have I.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
Only wish the best for his future. Marquette will always be part of his history.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
The hard reality is that Deonte isn't a great player.  He's a great vertical athlete who hasn't developed all of his skills.  Still doesn't use his right hand, doesn't use his body enough to post up on offense, stays too high on defense, doesn't always attack the boards.....

I feel for the situation he's in and I hope he finds his game under the tutelage of Hoiberg in Ames and am in no way bitter he transferred.

Please.... don't say that. according to ners, Deonte is a huge loss.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
Hope he finds what he is looking for in Ames. Can certainly understand his desire to get away from Milwaukee.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
Deonte will do very well for Iowa State. I think he made a mistake by leaving mid year. Should have stuck it out and got a year of Big East experience under his belt. Still could have transferred after that if he wanted.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
I understand and empathize with his decision to physically move away from Milwaukee.

It's good to know he knows a local boy in Jameel in Ames though.

Wish him the best (Deonte, NOT Jameel).
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »
With all due respect, I don't care why he wanted to leave. I don't really care if he's happy in Ames. He has moved on...and so have I.

And yet here you are participating in a tread on just those topics.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »
It's awfully nice of Deonte to keep quiet about Derrick being the real reason for his transfer.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
Speaking of Iowa State watching them play at West Virginia, it is too bad McKay left we really could have used him last year and this year. A very active big man.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »

Death on call

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 12:03:51 AM »
And yet here you are participating in a tread on just those topics.

I' m not opposed to this thread. Simply saying that when a kid leaves MU, I'm not going to fall all over myself wishing him the best. I certainly don't wish that he blows out a knee...just saying I'm don't care if he does well or not. He's now just another player on another team.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:59 AM »
Let me carefully say something potentially indelicate.  

Is this how Burton feels or is this what he needs to say to get a NCAA waiver?

Again, just asking

Burton Prepares For Lull in Competition
Jan 09, 2015 | 11:46 am

http://iowastate.scout.com/story/1500535-burton-prepares-for-lull-in-competition

Deonte Burton is in Ames, but is now preparing for a year away from competitive basketball

For the first time in a long time, Deonte Burton will take in basketball from afar.

More specifically, Burton will watch from the baseline at Hilton Coliseum for the good part of the next year after he transferred from Marquette this semester.

“I’m trying to prepare for it,” Burton said. “[The hardest part is] just being able to watch. I have to be the best cheerleader there is, I would say.”

Burton, a 6-foot-4 guard/forward, chose Marquette over Iowa State out of high school, and played in the first eight games this season (after averaging 6.9 points per game over the course of last season), averaging 6.4 points per game before choosing to transfer. Burton’s decision was made largely to get farther away from home after the passing of his mother this fall.

“It’s a perfect fit,” Burton said. “Iowa State, it’s a lot of transition, and it feels like a new family. I wanted to get further away from home.”

“It wasn’t too far away from home, but it was far enough away from home where I could leave the troubles of home. At home, my mother just died, so I didn’t want to be around the whole atmosphere of that.”

At Iowa State, Burton, who is a left-handed shooter with a wingspan of nearly seven feet, will sit out this season and the first semester of next season before becoming eligible at the Big Four Classic in December. Burton will have 1 1/2 seasons of eligibility unless the NCAA grants a waiver.

Burton is an athletic player with an ability to make plays above the rim, but his key area of focus remains consistency with his jumpshot. Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg has had the conversation, and Burton is keen on improving.

“He’s really athletic and he can play different spots on the court,” said Jameel McKay, who also transferred from Marquette and is friends with Deonte. “With this year sitting out, I feel like he can develop his jumpshot to keep improving. Once he develops that — he’s already tough to guard — I think he’ll be impossible to guard once his jump shot is falling consistently.”

As for sitting out, Burton plans to rely on teammates for help during the process. McKay thinks it could ultimately help Burton improve.

“You get to see the game from a different view and you just get to get better,” McKay said. “Sometimes he’ll forget that he’s not playing because it’s such a family environment. He’ll be treated the same regardless if he’s playing or not.”

As someone who also has a mother fighting cancer I can understand his desire to be away. It's draining. It's unnatural carnal knowledgeing hard. I can't guarantee I won't leave the area if something happens in my case. So many connections I wouldn't want to associate with. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope his wounds heal and he feels better. Sending him my best.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »

Death on call

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 07:33:34 AM »
It's awfully nice of Deonte to keep quiet about Derrick being the real reason for his transfer.

You mean Carlino.  You need to keep up with the latest baseless speculation.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
As someone who also has a mother fighting cancer I can understand his desire to be away. It's draining. It's unnatural carnal knowledgeing hard. I can't guarantee I won't leave the area if something happens in my case. So many connections I wouldn't want to associate with. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope his wounds heal and he feels better. Sending him my best.
Sorry to hear that man. I'll pray for you all
No Finish Line

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »
I don't usually put people on ignore, but when Texas Western started a thread saying how disappointed he was in Wojo for Burton and Dawson transferring and then explaining in detail about how it was Carlino's fault and Wojo handled the whole situation poorly, I promptly put him on ignore.  

I am all for someone having an opinion, but to be trashing our coach about something none of us would have any idea about is not something I want to read.  Now hearing Burton talk about why he decided to transfer makes me feel even more strongly that not only was Wojo not an awful or inexperienced coach for letting this happen, but my guess is that he was very supportive of Deonte and what he was going through with his mother dying.  Of course I can't know that for sure either and that is why it doesn't make sense to criticize our new coach for something like this, or continually commenting on how Carlino is so bad for team chemistry and a big reason why two people decided to transfer.  In the long run it will probably be better for Marquette, Deonte and John that the two of them transferred and how it all went down will most likely not be known by any of us.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:18:38 PM by MU1980 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Please.... don't say that. according to ners, Deonte is a huge loss.

I don't know about "huge" loss, but I wish he hadn't left. I think he had a lot of potential and would have been a good player for us. And I am not one of the many on here who had him as an all-conference shoo-in or the next Barkley. I just thought he could be a nice college player, and he seems like a good kid. We need lots of those.

But now he is gone and if this thread hadn't been created, I wouldn't have even thought about him again. I root for the players who choose to be Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »

Here's to a quick recovery!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:32 AM »
I don't know about "huge" loss, but I wish he hadn't left. I think he had a lot of potential and would have been a good player for us. And I am not one of the many on here who had him as an all-conference shoo-in or the next Barkley. I just thought he could be a nice college player, and he seems like a good kid. We need lots of those.

But now he is gone and if this thread hadn't been created, I wouldn't have even thought about him again. I root for the players who choose to be Warriors.
He did choose to be a Warrior....he just left! And for a good reason man.

Wake up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 08:38:48 AM »
He did choose to be a Warrior....he just left! And for a good reason man.

Wake up.

I'm wide awake. I just don't obsess on the comings and goings of 18-21 year olds.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
I' m not opposed to this thread. Simply saying that when a kid leaves MU, I'm not going to fall all over myself wishing him the best. I certainly don't wish that he blows out a knee...just saying I'm don't care if he does well or not. He's now just another player on another team.

I had a friend transfer from MU.

When he left, I cut all ties with him.

If you don't want MU, then I don't need you in my life, and you're dead to me.

MU is perfect for everybody!

feedback