collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Stuart Scott  (Read 7757 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: RIP Stuart Scott
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »
Stuart Scott and Steven A. Smith are not even remotely close to the same level if you ask me.  Stuart could definitely be over the top in my opinion, but I never changed the channel because of him.  I certainly change the channel all the time because of guys like Steven A. Smith, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Skip Bayless, etc.

Fair enough. Just my opinion. I'm sure ESPN is surviving quite nicely with one less viewer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Never has any sportscaster done anything worthy of being considered 'ground breaking.'

Scully, Barber, and Jackson were a pleasure to listen to but nothing they did made a difference in the scheme of things.

Hyperbole is inherent in sports journalism but that doesn't validate its social merit.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Never has any sportscaster done anything worthy of being considered 'ground breaking.'

Scully, Barber, and Jackson were a pleasure to listen to but nothing they did made a difference in the scheme of things.

Hyperbole is inherent in sports journalism but that doesn't validate its social merit.

It's all in how you define ground breaking.  Perception can be reality.  I don't disagree with your statement, but I could rattle off a bunch of people in the biz that wholeheartedly disagree.  All depends on who is doing the defining and what is important to whom.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
It's all in how you define ground breaking.  Perception can be reality.  I don't disagree with your statement, but I could rattle off a bunch of people in the biz that wholeheartedly disagree.  All depends on who is doing the defining and what is important to whom.

I am a huge fan of Keith Jackson. There was something reassuring about the rich bourbon infused baritone of his, carved from the loamy earth of the Palouse, that made a man feel all was right with the world. But I think even Mr. Jackson would agree that his profession has done little ground breaking since the first voice went out over the airwaves.

And let me say this: Stuart Scott was no Keith Jackson.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
Bryant Gumbel didn't "change" anything -- he's black but he sounds as white as any announcer out there, totally non-threatening to any white listener. Stuart Scott's schtick was far "blacker" and definitely turned off some of ESPN's audience while attracting some other viewers. ESPN took a chance on employing him and letting him be himself.

As I said earlier, Stuart wasn't my cup of tea, but I will remember him for a long time. Among the things I associate with him:

-- "Boo-Yah!" (of course).

-- "As cool as the other side of the pillow," which he is being credited with but which he actually plagiarized.

-- Ray Romano mocking him by constantly shouting "Sweet Sassy Molassy" in a hilarious SNL skit.

Having said all of that, I wish he were alive to keep "Boo-Yah"-ing. We need more characters in this world, not fewer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
We need more characters in this world, not fewer.

Which is why God Al Gore created the internet

Death on call