Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Things we've learned after our 4 game win streak  (Read 12960 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Things we've learned after our 4 game win streak
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
1.  Fischer is a quality player yet hardly earning the hyperbolic praise thrown his way by scoopers and announcers alike during his run against cupcakes.  The Big East conference is an entirely different animal.

2.  Wojo has struggled coaching this team trying to protect a lead.  I made mention of this after the ASU game and hypothesized if that was a 12 point game instead.  Well tonight you saw that scenario play out.

3.  JJJ feasts on inferior competition.  Against a mediocre DePaul team he was absent yet again.

It's going to be a long season boys and girls.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Things we've learned after our 4 game win streak
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
1.  Fischer is a quality player yet hardly earning the hyperbolic praise thrown his way by scoopers and announcers alike during his run against cupcakes.  The Big East conference is an entirely different animal.

Hey now, at least I didn't go ahead an deem him stud of the year as it seemed many thought I should after he beat up little kids :)

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
You are both wrong on fischer. He is a game changer. There is more to playing than scoring points. He alters almost every shot near him or blocks it. He is getting doubled and tripled in the post, he makes great passes out to open shooters, its not his fault they can't knock down the shots. If he is getting doubled, that's all you need to know about what kind of player he is, it opens it up for everyone else.  The team is much better with fischer in the lineup, its obvious.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »
You are both wrong on fischer. He is a game changer. There is more to playing than scoring points. He alters almost every shot near him or blocks it. He is getting doubled and tripled in the post, he makes great passes out to open shooters, its not his fault they can't knock down the shots. If he is getting doubled, that's all you need to know about what kind of player he is, it opens it up for everyone else.  The team is much better with fischer in the lineup, its obvious.

Exactly

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »

3.  JJJ feasts on inferior competition.  Against a mediocre DePaul team he was absent yet again.

It's going to be a long season boys and girls.
[/quote]

I guess ASU is worse than depaul then??  He will be fine missed some shots

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:50:36 PM »
What did you guys think about Fischer being pulled right after the charge and picking up his 4th.  There was between 3-4 or so minutes left if I remember correctly at the time.  Obviously you don't want him to pick up his 5th right away, and hindsight is 20/20, although seems like I'd risk the 5th foul with only a few minutes left versus loosing our rim protector for a little bit of time on the bench.

Depaul then went on to quickly score 2 fairly easy baskets at the rim, with Fischer then being put right back in, leading to the tying 3.  

Thoughts on that coaching move?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
You are both wrong on fischer. He is a game changer. There is more to playing than scoring points. He alters almost every shot near him or blocks it. He is getting doubled and tripled in the post, he makes great passes out to open shooters, its not his fault they can't knock down the shots. If he is getting doubled, that's all you need to know about what kind of player he is, it opens it up for everyone else.  The team is much better with fischer in the lineup, its obvious.

Fischer is going to get abused by some of the big guys in the Big East.  He'll be lucky not to foul out in the first half against any BE team with a quality front court.  Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Xavier and Providence will be huge learning opportunities for Luke who will develop into a quality big himself.  He still needs to learn how to play the game against quality competition.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:57:33 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
Fischer is going to get abused by some of the big guys in the Big East.

Wrong. Who's a better defender Fischer or Gardner?  You are way under rating the guy.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »
What did you guys think about Fischer being pulled right after the charge and picking up his 4th.  There was between 3-4 or so minutes left if I remember correctly at the time.  Obviously you don't want him to pick up his 5th right away, and hindsight is 20/20, although seems like I'd risk the 5th foul with only a few minutes left versus loosing our rim protector for a little bit of time on the bench.

Depaul then went on to quickly score 2 fairly easy baskets at the rim, with Fischer then being put right back in, leading to the tying 3.  

Thoughts on that coaching move?

First thing I thought was, what are you saving him for, only 3 minutes left.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »

+100

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
First thing I thought was, what are you saving him for, only 3 minutes left.

Exactly, thought that was a bad move. knee jerk removal after the 4th without seeing the bigger picture. It changed the game, in addition to the charge as well.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:52:59 PM »
There is no justification for playing Carlino 36 minutes and JJJ 17. I think one of the things learned on the win streak is JJJ is a key player to our success. He can't help us sitting on the pine.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
There is no justification for playing Carlino 36 minutes and JJJ 17. I think one of the things learned on the win streak is JJJ is a key player to our success. He can't help us sitting on the pine.

Especially with Carlino jacking up 10 3 pointers and only making one....

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
Fischer is going to get abused by some of the big guys in the Big East.  He'll be lucky not to foul out in the first half against any BE team with a quality front court.  Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Xavier and Providence will be huge learning opportunities for Luke who will develop into a quality big himself.  He still needs to learn how to play the game against quality competition.

Just curious, how many wins in conference did you predict matty v?

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

"Lucky" not to foul out in the 1st half? Do you have any idea how rare it is for anyone on any team to foul out in the 1st half at any level? Seriously, that is a profound statement even with an 8-man roster. Since it will be "lucky" for him to make it through the 1st half without fouling out against any BE team w a quality front court, I'd be glad to wager that he never fouls out in the 1st half of any game during his college career. You name the stakes.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
"Lucky" not to foul out in the 1st half? Do you have any idea how rare it is for anyone on any team to foul out in the 1st half at any level? Seriously, that is a profound statement even with an 8-man roster. Since it will be "lucky" for him to make it through the 1st half without fouling out against any BE team w a quality front court, I'd be glad to wager that he never fouls out in the 1st half of any game during his college career. You name the stakes.
Yup, I mean it would take a stupid coach to let one of your best players foul out in 1st half.
Goal is National Championship

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »
Just curious, how many wins in conference did you predict matty v?

Either 7 or 8.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
Either 7 or 8.

Seems reasonable.  I still think we could win 9.  If you believe we could win 7 or 8 it would seem like your comments above are a bit strong on Fischer.  If Fischer gets abused by the other bigs in the league we are not winning even 7 games.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 03:01:47 PM »
Seems reasonable.  I still think we could win 9.  If you believe we could win 7 or 8 it would seem like your comments above are a bit strong on Fischer.  If Fischer gets abused by the other bigs in the league we are not winning even 7 games.

Look, I think Fischer is a fine player.  I've said so in my earlier posts also.  He just is inexperienced and will struggle against more physical post players both offensively and defensively that he comes across in Big East play this season.

I guess here's my point:  ANY PLAYER 6'10" who gets added to this roster midseason is going to be a huge addition due to his size alone regardless of skill.  A lot of folks on here are acting like we're seeing the second coming of Bill Walton because of his quick start.

I've been mentally prepared to watch Fischer struggle come conference play, like almost any big guy would his first season in the Big East.  He'll put up some good games but he'll put up some stinkers.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
Our achilles heal is not Fischer being double or even tripled team like he was on Wednesday; it's our inability to put the ball in the basket from the perimeter.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
I like this team and the coaching staff.  This year will be a tough year.  It's a transition year.  Yet, we will be competitive, entertaining and win games.  As a young team and coaching staff, this team will become better as the season plays out.  Keep the faith!  Go Marquette!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Our achilles heal is not Fischer being double or even tripled team like he was on Wednesday; it's our inability to put the ball in the basket from the perimeter.

+1 My thoughts exactly.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »
MU Warrior hit nail on the head. I third the motion. No outside shooting.