Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino 3-14  (Read 10939 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Carlino 3-14
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
What are you going to do? The guy struggled (3-14 from the floor) and, as a result, they lose.  If he hits any of those bombs its a different outcome. He was terrible today. End of story.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
Re: Carlino 3-14
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
You forgot to mention he plays no defense.  This team is not going to win the Big East so when Carlino is playing poorly give Cohen some minutes and experience.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
What are you going to do? The guy struggled (3-14 from the floor) and, as a result, they lose.  If he hits any of those bombs its a different outcome. He was terrible today. End of story.
I we had beat DePaul by 1 would have been better than a loss but offers little comfort. Also there were a host of other dunderhead plays by this team. A bad shooting day by one player is only one part of a very large problem.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »
3-14 understates his awfulness on both ends of the floor.  He was also responsible for several misses by others when he forced the ball to them with the shot clock expiring.

Not a lot of choices this year, however.  It's a rebuilding year.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
and we wonder why depaul was happy to see him go. he can hit some shots and will win us at least one other game, but when he isn't hitting shots his piss poor defense and stupid defense will lose us just as many if not more.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
You mean BYU. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
If the Mormons at BYU weren't so damn nice, they'd probably be enjoying a nice frosty mug of schadenfreude.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
If the Mormons at BYU weren't so damn nice, they'd probably be enjoying a nice frosty mug of schadenfreude.

As long as it was non-alcoholic and caffeine free. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »
We're going to do this after every bad game he has aren't we?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
Even after today's 1-10 shooting from 3 point land by Carlino, he is shooting 45% from 3 point range.  You're really going to say he's useless and that this is why the Mormons are glad to see him go?  I, for one, am glad he is on the team.  Can you imagine JJJ, Duane, Juan, and Luke (the only other guys on the team who have a chance to have big scoring games really) trying to score without Carlino's ability to spread a defense (okay, at least Duane can shoot the 3 as well so I'll give him that too).  He's shooting 41% from the field.  While not great, it's not brutal like you guys are acting like it is.  And again, 45% from 3 point rainge!  On 4 attempts per game!  That's really, really good.  He's averaging 12.3 ppg, 4.1 apg, 3 rpg, 1.2 spg, and 1.9 turnovers/game.  I, for one, am glad he's a Warrior.  The fact of the matter is, we just aren't a very good team.  Not sure why people thought we would be or what they expected.

Why are we discussing how bad Carlino is when I see no mention of STJ's 1-7 shooting.  At least Carlino has shown up for more than 1 game this season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »
Fair point, Wades.   I, too, am glad he is at MU.   But he is what he is.   He is what he was at BYU.   He can shoot you into games, he can shoot you out of games.   Today was a bad day.   There is no way to spin it. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
I agree completely with Wades.  He was brutal today, but this team would be completely lost without Carlino. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Carlino can win you games and Carlino can lose you games. The hope is that most of the time when he's off the mark, he has the sense to defer to other shooters. When he keeps shooting, this happens.

Still a good player and valuable member of the team, but we all knew what we were getting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
What I have noticed is that he has been willing to defer shots to the hot hand when he isn't hot.  The problem is, nobody was hot today.  This was a total team loss.  Nobody played well, including Carlino.

connie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
What I have noticed is that he has been willing to defer shots to the hot hand when he isn't hot.  The problem is, nobody was hot today.  This was a total team loss.  Nobody played well, including Carlino.
While I agree, for some reason Carlino pi$$es me off.  When he is having a game THIS bad, put in Cohen.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
While I agree, for some reason Carlino pi$$es me off.  When he is having a game THIS bad, put in Cohen.

agreed, you can't play seven guys and expect too succeed in the big east. season looks like a lost cause...give the young guys a chance...lets not pull another buzz williams with this season

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »
agreed, you can't play seven guys and expect too succeed in the big east. season looks like a lost cause...give the young guys a chance...lets not pull another buzz williams with this season

You could argue we already have.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »

Yep, play him when he's on.  Don't ride him for 36 minutes when he's terrible.  Cohen getting a DNP and JJ only 17 minutes  isn't cool when the offense gets that bogged down.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
JJJ only had 17 minutes?  Yeah, while he did have some bonehead plays, that isn't nearly enough.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
Carlino is still essential to the teams success. When he's bad, we're doomed. Cohen sitting was a surprise.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »

I think you mean young guy, singular.  Just eight scholarship guys this semester.  Is not playing walkons "pulling a Buzz Williams"?

I don't know why Cohen didn't play today.  It was a surprise given the fact that he he's gotten into every game prior, IIRC.  His outside shooting would have helped.  It could have been health related.  A lot of flu going around these days.

I continue to take issue in general with the "play the young guys" philosophy.  If someone doesn't show in practice that they know what they are doing on the court, I agree that throwing them out there to learn "on the fly" seems to be a poor choice.  Why then should anyone bother leaning the offense and defense in practice?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

connie

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
I think you mean young guy, singular.  Just eight scholarship guys this semester.  Is not playing walkons "pulling a Buzz Williams"?

I don't know why Cohen didn't play today.  It was a surprise given the fact that he he's gotten into every game prior, IIRC.  His outside shooting would have helped.  It could have been health related.  A lot of flu going around these days.

I continue to take issue in general with the "play the young guys" philosophy.  If someone doesn't show in practice that they know what they are doing on the court, I agree that throwing them out there to learn "on the fly" seems to be a poor choice.  Why then should anyone bother leaning the offense and defense in practice?
If the choice involves playing a one year super(ha)- senior in a year with little hope versus a freshman with a good upside I am all in with the freshman.  I don't know if we are at that point yet, but we hung around on the perimeter last year long enough to leave us with the worst possible situation, and I do not want to find the team in that position again.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »
We've only got 8 guys. If you can't earn time in an 8 man rotation that's on you, not the coach. Seriously the complaints on message boards like this are ridiculous.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
As long as it was non-alcoholic and caffeine free. 
And served up by multiple wives

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
JJJ only had 17 minutes?  Yeah, while he did have some bonehead plays, that isn't nearly enough.

The two fast breaks killed us. DuWil going in 1=-on-2 and losing the ball and Derrick making the incredibly boneheaded decision to give the ball to Luke.