Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWM-Wisky  (Read 6162 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
UWM-Wisky
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »
The UW-Milwaukee team hosted the UW-Madison team last night at the MECCA arena.  In addition to being a total blowout from the tip and a waste of time for everyone involved, the crowd was estimated at 70% Badger fans.  The facility holds about 10,000, so at 30% UWM fans, at best UWM has 3,000 fans.  Two points here: (1) all this talk about how valuable the MECCA arena is to UWM is total nonsense.  They don't need a 10,000 seat venue that gets filled once every 4 years (for the UW-Madison game).  Heck, they wouldn't fill 50% of the Al McGuire Center.  A 3,000 seat practice facility for the Bucks downtown would be great for them.  (2) Does any MU fan miss the "historic" rivalry with UWM?  I can't even remember the last time they played...
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
Re: UWM-Wisky
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
The last time we played, UWM almost broke the streak.   IIRC, DJO had to win that game at the end. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
Ludum habemus.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
I think UWM would benefit from a nice Al-type, on-campus arena.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know/remember what UWM attendance figures were during their three-year tourney run?  I'm wondering how well they were able to fill up the MECCA when they had success.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

Just out of curiosity, anyone know/remember what UWM attendance figures were during their three-year tourney run?  I'm wondering how well they were able to fill up the MECCA when they had success.

I have nothing specific to offer, but I was at MU during part of that streak and did attend a few UWM games every now and then. I am pretty sure they still never sold out but were able to get the MECCA to probably 60-70% capacity pretty regularly.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
During the Pearl years, they would fill it for the Horizon League Championship game.  Otherwise, it was getting so bad that they went back to the Klotsche Center two years ago.  I like that UWM plays downtown, but to hold up a new arena development for a team with 1,000 fans, in a 60-year, 10,000 seat facility, seems rather ridiculous.  Perhaps they know this and they're just holding out for a new facility, too.  If so, I applaud their negotiations.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
I went to a UWM game against Saint Louis in December of 2005. This was coming off the Sweet 16 year and frankly, SLU was about as good of a nonconference opponent who was going to come to UWM.

Checked the box score of the game. Attendance was listed as 4,235.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

leever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
I saw "Milwaukee" play in the NCAAs last year in Buffalo.  The place was packed!

But seriously, there were a few fans there for UWM.  They were not nearly as much fun as the Dayton fans with their beenies with propellers on top!  Every other school participating had probably 10x more fans than UWM, but of course most of the other teams had a chance of winning.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
I saw "Milwaukee" play in the NCAAs last year in Buffalo. 

Did "Milwaukee" go to The Dance last season? By some measures that would make them the preeminent basketball program in the town which carries their name

Death on call

leever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
Did "Milwaukee" go to The Dance last season? By some measures that would make them the preeminent basketball program in the town which carries their name

They did indeed.  Lost to Villanova in the "2nd" round.  But they will be ineligible for any postseason play this year.  Seems they have some academic problems.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Let's just remember that Wisconsin blowing the doors off of UWM is good for the state of Wisconsin basketball.

At least according to the Journal-Sentinel.   ;D

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
i was there. IMHO it was a greater than a 30-70 split of UWM Fans. 50/50 would be my estimate, athough 90% of the packed student section was gone early to mid-way into the 2nd half.  Interesting side note that Deonte Burton was definitely in attendance for game with I believe John Dawson and another dude who I didn't recognize. They arrived very early in the 1st half in our section and the usher grabbed their tix and pointed them to their proper location.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
Burton and Dawson to UWM.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »

Or dare I say, UW?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »

Duane Wilson was there to.  Burton to UWM would be great!  He can be the star as that team right now is not very good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
Or dare I say, UW?

My guess is that Wojo might restrict a transfer to UW. But maybe not.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 01:36:29 PM »
Duane Wilson was there to.  Burton to UWM would be great!  He can be the star as that team right now is not very good.

Shannon Smith 2.0?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
My guess is that Wojo might restrict a transfer to UW. But maybe not.

Pretty sure he would and anyone else on our schedule.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
The UW-Milwaukee team hosted the UW-Madison team last night at the MECCA arena.  In addition to being a total blowout from the tip and a waste of time for everyone involved, the crowd was estimated at 70% Badger fans.  The facility holds about 10,000, so at 30% UWM fans, at best UWM has 3,000 fans.  Two points here: (1) all this talk about how valuable the MECCA arena is to UWM is total nonsense.  They don't need a 10,000 seat venue that gets filled once every 4 years (for the UW-Madison game).  Heck, they wouldn't fill 50% of the Al McGuire Center.  A 3,000 seat practice facility for the Bucks downtown would be great for them.  (2) Does any MU fan miss the "historic" rivalry with UWM?  I can't even remember the last time they played...

Before this game, UWM was averaging less than 2,000 fans per game. They could play in a high school gym and not sell it out.

I do think they could share a 5,000-6,000 seat practice facility with the Bucks. While they aren't drawing anyone this year, they could fill something like that regularly if they got any sustainable success. Though when they played Marquette at the Mecca, they only drew around 7,000 and complained because we didn't bring enough fans to sell out their building.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

source?

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »

Just out of curiosity, anyone know/remember what UWM attendance figures were during their three-year tourney run?  I'm wondering how well they were able to fill up the MECCA when they had success.

UWM's peak attendance was in the 2005-06 season when they averaged 5,304 fans.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2006.pdf

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
Why do the Bucks need a practice facility that seats 5,000 people?  That's the part I don't understand in this.  I understand why UWM wants a new arena, of course they do.  But what purpose does that serve for the Bucks?  Wouldn't they rather have a parctice facility with just regular Gyms like the Cousins Center?  Why do they need seating?  If they're holding open practice or scrimmages for fans couldn't they just have that in the actual arena?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
UWM's peak attendance was in the 2005-06 season when they averaged 5,304 fans.

Where the hell did you hear that?

Death on call

feedback