Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deonte's departure mildly surprising at best  (Read 29442 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Deonte's departure mildly surprising at best
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
Which is a huge problem with Deonte this year. His usage rate is way down. For a guy who probably has the most raw offensive ability on the team, he should be far more aggressive trying to score than he has been this year.

I find this somewhat funny.  I also find it a byproduct of Wojo's coaching.  Many complained about Deonte being a black hole, needs to have a more well rounded game - to an extent I agree.  Yet, I sense the aggressiveness you would have liked to see (now in retrospect), was largely coached out of him.

My issue:  On a team that needs all the scoring punch it can get, I'd like a guy who was shooting 47.2% from the field, 40% from the 3, and 76% from the FT line to let it fly, and to be able to do so more than 16 minutes a game.

In retrospect, his decision to transfer really isn't a shock at all.  Particularly when you combine the above with the fact his best friend on the team was oddly relegated to the bench for 7 DNPs.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
Just for reference, Deonte was 3rd in shots per minute, and #1 in shots per min. in the front court.

Name   FG Made   FG Attempts   Shots per Min.   Minutes
Juan Anderson   35   68                 0.265             257
Matt Carlino   30   78                 0.315             248
Duane Wilson   30   71                 0.306             232
Steve Taylor Jr.   26   57                 0.243             235
Derrick Wilson   18   44                 0.187             235
Deonte Burton   17   36                 0.279             129
JaJuan Johnson   16   40                 0.247             162
Sandy Cohen III   10   24                 0.245              98
John Dawson   0   1                 0.250               4

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »
I think Dawson told Wojo early he was transferring at the end of the first semester, so there was no way he was going to get any playing time. Coaches do not want to play players that are transferring. From what I saw and other's reported Deonte basically shot threes in the Pro am instead of taking it to the hoop like he did the year before. I do not know why, but Deonte changed how he wanted to play. I think two things hurt Deonte's playing time this year and they were defense and rebounding.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
I think Dawson told Wojo early he was transferring at the end of the first semester, so there was no way he was going to get any playing time. Coaches do not want to play players that are transferring. From what I saw and other's reported Deonte basically shot threes in the Pro am instead of taking it to the hoop like he did the year before. I do not know why, but Deonte changed how he wanted to play. I think two things hurt Deonte's playing time this year and they were defense and rebounding.

This is completely false.  I can assure you 100% the decision wasn't made until after the 7th DNP (Wisconsin game).  Thoughts began after the 3rd DNP, though nothing said to coaching staff.  Dawson continued to work hard, be a great teammate, and did everything he could to get on the court thereafter.  

Wojo preferred to free that scholarship versus give him an opportunity to play.  Wojo isn't dumb and knows that nailing a guy to the bench is the best way to breed discontent.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brandx

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
This is completely false.  I can assure you 100% the decision wasn't made until after the 7th DNP (Wisconsin game).  Thoughts began after the 3rd DNP, though nothing said to coaching staff.  Dawson continued to work hard, be a great teammate, and did everything he could to get on the court thereafter.  

Wojo preferred to free that scholarship versus give him an opportunity to play.  Wojo isn't dumb and knows that nailing a guy to the bench is the best way to breed discontent.

He's back and worse than ever. Now he knows the players' thoughts.

So his time away was just spent making up even weirder theories.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

Maybe he called Dawson personally.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

What I wrote wasn't speculation.  Ever think that given how much of a fan I've been of John's, somehow, some way, beyond belief - his family my have appreciated the support??  So...if you want to know...yes...I've been privy to what's transpired through this process from as good of source as you can get.   

And as for the continued personal insults you and a handful of the other clowns here continue to drop - they'd actually offend if I truly respected the group of clowns who have such hatred toward a guy who shares a different view than them on MU basketball.  God forbid.  Maybe I should start to trot out the lame - "I'm going to announce to the board..I'm putting you on ignore."  But, I won't - because even though I disagree with many of the clowns takes, and read countless personal insults from the clown posse - I've managed to develop a thicker skin than those in yours.    Carry on.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »

He is a tool.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
I will confirm that Dawson was committed to MU until very recently. He remained a contributor in practice and carried the torch that he would earn his playing time. His decision to leave was made right before his announcement.  

PS  I think John Dawson is a great kid and I wish him nothing but success. From what I know he was reared by a great family and his core values will enable him to prosper in whatever path he chooses.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:18:33 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »
While I have no inside information I don't for a moment doubt Ners or Keefe on this.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »
MU never had any blow out games to allow the player at the end of the bench to play. Dawson's not playing does not necessarily mean Wojo was pushing him out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »
And as for the continued personal insults you and a handful of the other clowns here continue to drop - they'd actually offend if I truly respected the group of clowns who have such hatred toward a guy who shares a different view than them on MU basketball.  

Nobody hates you Ners.  Stop making it so personal.

FWIW, I have no doubt what you are saying is the truth wrt Dawson.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »

I do believe you know all this information. Can you answer the following?

1. Why, from the Dawson side, was nothing said about having doubts about sticking with the team?

2. Was anything say to Dawson, from the coaches, about why he wasn't getting playing time?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
I do believe you know all this information. Can you answer the following?

1. Why, from the Dawson side, was nothing said about having doubts about sticking with the team?

2. Was anything say to Dawson, from the coaches, about why he wasn't getting playing time?

1.  John wanted to stay at Marquette, and was hopeful to "earn" time on the floor to prove he belonged.  He kept his mouth shut, kept working hard, being a good teammate - with the hopes he'd get some PT.  As has been posted, the decision wasn't made till after the WI game (7th DNP in a row.)  He, nor family ever went to coaching staff and said..."Play me, or I'm going to transfer."  Not their style.  As his Dad said in the Journal Sentinel interview - "They read the handwriting on the wall."  (And made their determination accordingly.)  

2.  Nothing concrete/definitive.  Was told to just keep working hard.  Was pretty generic "company line" type of communication.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
1.  John wanted to stay at Marquette, and was hopeful to "earn" time on the floor to prove he belonged.  He kept his mouth shut, kept working hard, being a good teammate - with the hopes he'd get some PT.  As has been posted, the decision wasn't made till after the WI game (7th DNP in a row.)  He, nor family ever went to coaching staff and said..."Play me, or I'm going to transfer."  Not their style.  As his Dad said in the Journal Sentinel interview - "They read the handwriting on the wall."  (And made their determination accordingly.) 

2.  Nothing concrete/definitive.  Was told to just keep working hard.  Was pretty generic "company line" type of communication.

I will point out, that this is just one side of the story.  I don't know anything to the contrary, but please keep this in mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Ners, wouldn't it hurt a coach's reputation to not be forthcoming with a player and bench him to force a transfer? No coach can afford that.

I am not challenging you on your point.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »

Nobody hates you Ners.  Stop making it so personal.

FWIW, I have no doubt what you are saying is the truth wrt Dawson.

FYI - I don't put you in the group of Clowns I referenced.  As for the "hatred" comment - semantics/splitting hairs.  You and I can disagree with each other, and frequently do - yet it doesn't devolve into what others here choose to devolve it to in the way of expressing disagreement/dislike.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »

Or maybe Wojo just didn't think he was good enough to play.
Why do you insist on nefarious motives here?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Ners, wouldn't it hurt a coach's reputation to not be forthcoming with a player and bench him to force a transfer? No coach can afford that.

I am not challenging you on your point.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

It happens fairly frequently at the high major level.  The more vague the "explanation" the more frustrating the experience becomes for a player.  Though this is college ball, and not the pros - It truly is still a business/big business - and the coaches face enormous pressure to deliver a winning product.  They are the chief executive of the program, and make decisions accordingly.

Now, I was very vocal in my support of John, and felt he'd be a good player at this level.  Wojo felt differently - and that is his prerogative and decision to make with regard to the program moving forward.  I will speculate, however, that perhaps it may not have been so much that Wojo didn't think John was a good player, as much as it was Wojo liked other prospects better (Sandy), as well as next year's incoming guards -  Nick N and Cheatham.  I feel this way as it then goes back to being the CEO of the program, and if you sense "overcapacity" at one position, and perhaps a deficit elsewhere (PG), you might want to change the complexion of the roster and in so doing improve your roster - and give the "encouraged transfer" kid a better future elsewhere.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »
Or maybe Wojo just didn't think he was good enough to play.
Why do you insist on nefarious motives here?

Given that Dawson was given more run than JJJ last season by Buzz and showed some potential, combined with the fact that ALL of the guards this year have struggled at times (perhaps other than Carlino), and all were given an opportunity to get on the floor - that's where I draw the inference.

Had any of JJJ, Cohen, or Derrick really stepped up and shown they were clear cut best option for the other guard position - then I wouldn't draw the inference.  It isn't logical to think based on what Dawson showed in games last season, that he really could have been THAT much worse than the other guys - to not even merit some opportunity. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
Given that Dawson was given more run than JJJ last season by Buzz and showed some potential, combined with the fact that ALL of the guards this year have struggled at times (perhaps other than Carlino), and all were given an opportunity to get on the floor - that's where I draw the inference.

Ignoring the factual inaccuracy (JJJ played more than JD last year, and was better when he did), it's really irrelevant because they play different positions.
The fact is not one, but two, coaching staffs have determined that JD wasn't good enough to get more PT. It's possible that everybody is wrong but you here ... but it's not credible to suggest, as you have repeatedly, that the kid is the victim of some sinister plot.

.  It isn't logical to think based on what Dawson showed in games last season, that he really could have been THAT much worse than the other guys - to not even merit some opportunity. 

Are you sure? What exactly did JD show in games last year? We're talking about a kid who shot .320 from the field - worse than Derrick, in fact, by not a little - and had a terrible assist-to-turnover ratio for a guy who'd be asked to handle the ball a lot, as Derrick does. JD turned the ball over once for every 1.4 assists. Derrick has a 3-to-1 ratio this year.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
Just stop already

Had any of JJJ, Cohen, or Derrick really stepped up and shown they were clear cut best option for the other guard position - then I wouldn't draw the inference.  It isn't logical to think based on what Dawson showed in games last season, that he really could have been THAT much worse than the other guys - to not even merit some opportunity. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
He is a tool.
Spoken like a true tool, 79.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
1.  John wanted to stay at Marquette, and was hopeful to "earn" time on the floor to prove he belonged.  He kept his mouth shut, kept working hard, being a good teammate - with the hopes he'd get some PT.  As has been posted, the decision wasn't made till after the WI game (7th DNP in a row.)  He, nor family ever went to coaching staff and said..."Play me, or I'm going to transfer."  Not their style.  As his Dad said in the Journal Sentinel interview - "They read the handwriting on the wall."  (And made their determination accordingly.)  

2.  Nothing concrete/definitive.  Was told to just keep working hard.  Was pretty generic "company line" type of communication.

Thanks. Appreciate the response. You and I will always disagree on this topic - JD's playing time. Having said that, I understand that high major hoops can be a questionable venture at times, guess I would just hope that conversation and feelings between coaches and players are always known.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
Ners, they're gone. Exacerbating this is just a waste of everyone's time and Scoop's bandwidth.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback