[Today at 11:59:35 AM]

Hurley staying! by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 10:05:09 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by wadesworld
[Today at 10:04:06 AM]

2024-25 Roster by tower912
[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Serious season expectations with 8  (Read 10483 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Serious season expectations with 8
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
I think Jake was due to someone else transferring out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
I think Jake was due to someone else transferring out.

Yeah, Vander Blue transferring to the NBA Draft.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »
I was always in the 10-14 win camp.   I have actually been encouraged enough recently  to think 15-18 was possible.   But the Big East is going to be tough.   If the Elite 8 stay healthy the rest of the way, 16 wins.    One or two injuries, all bets are off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
Who cares? It don't matter. Let Wojo gets his own playas in here sooner than later and let's strap it on and move his program along.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
In terms of what we've seen this year only,

Fischer unseen > Burton

Walk-on to be named = Dawson

We can manage 8-4 by beating ASU and with the cupcakes remaining.  But 7-11 is all I can see in conference.  Unless Steve or JJJ figures it all out.  Both have potential to swing a couple more games our way; will be plenty of opportunity but neither seems close.

On another note, with 8 being the magic number - when Michael Scott said this:

“My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter ... where. Or who, or who you are with, or where you are going, or ... or where you've been ... ever. For any reason, whatsoever...”

the remaining words were:   "do not bank scholarships".

Wojo self-imposed a one scholarship penalty on the program for failure to recruit.  Started with 12 instead of 13, three departures and one sitting transfer leaving eight players.  We should have another developing freshman or a Juco on board, or at very minimum another transfer sitting out so 7+ new faces don't have to be brought in next year.  Uphill battle with a new coach, new staff, limited time to recruit - but should never happen again.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:11:48 PM by chapman »

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »
In terms of what we've seen this year only,

Fischer unseen > Burton

Walk-on to be named = Dawson

We can manage 8-4 by beating ASU and with the cupcakes remaining.  But 7-11 is all I can see in conference.  Unless Steve or JJJ figures it all out.  Both have potential to swing a couple more games our way; will be plenty of opportunity but neither seems close.

Don't get too carried away with Fischer being that big of an impact.  It can take a while for college bigs to develop.  Unfortunately the one player on the roster with the highest ceiling compared to their current level of play just transferred.  For us to get into 10 wins in conference we would have needed to see a player or two take a big leap forward.  I had more faith in Burton (dealing with the loss of his mother) getting it together as opposed to other known quantities like Steve and Juan.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Deonte has disappointed all season long and Dawson hasn't played. We are essentially trading Deonte for Luke, nothing more nothing less. I think we'll be better than we are now, though I've gone through this season with zero expectations and I'm not going to change that philosophy now.

This absolutely has been my philosophy since Buzz left, Wojo was hired and Cohen was the only recruit who followed through on attending Marquette.

Frankly, with the showing in Orlando and with hanging close to Wisconsin, we ALREADY have exceeded my expectations for this season. Anything good we get out of this season will be a huge bonus in my eyes. It's all about 2015-16 and especially 2016-17.

Dawson will not be missed. That sounds harsh, but from a basketball sense it's totally true.

Burton has talent -- he's not Charles Barkley, as some here tried to claim, but he has talent. He probably will do well elsewhere. But he sucked this season; non-basketball reasons might have contributed to that but it doesn't make it less true.

I wish Deonte had stayed, but as we well know, this stuff happens.

The year after Blankson left, we went to the Final Four. We made the NCAAs five straight years after Mbakwe left. Maymon left and his father said, "They didn't want to play the game right, so now we're gonna watch them lose every game." We didn't lose every game; we went S16-E8.

Good programs survive. Great programs overcome and thrive.

We've got four real good freshmen coming in to join some guys who will be very good veterans. I remain very high on Marquette basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
This absolutely has been my philosophy since Buzz left, Wojo was hired and Cohen was the only recruit who followed through on attending Marquette.

Frankly, with the showing in Orlando and with hanging close to Wisconsin, we ALREADY have exceeded my expectations for this season. Anything good we get out of this season will be a huge bonus in my eyes. It's all about 2015-16 and especially 2016-17.

Dawson will not be missed. That sounds harsh, but from a basketball sense it's totally true.

Burton has talent -- he's not Charles Barkley, as some here tried to claim, but he has talent. He probably will do well elsewhere. But he sucked this season; non-basketball reasons might have contributed to that but it doesn't make it less true.

The year after Blankson left, we went to the Final Four. We made the NCAAs five straight years after Mbakwe left. Maymon left and his father said, "They didn't want to play the game right, so now we're gonna watch them lose every game." We didn't lose every game; we went S16-E8.

We've got four real good freshmen coming in to join some guys who will be very good veterans. I remain very high on Marquette basketball.

Lock down scoop for the night. All you need is this post right here.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »

Good Post. I still wish Levin hadn't left though....

brandx

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »

Wojo self-imposed a one scholarship penalty on the program for failure to recruit.  Started with 12 instead of 13, three departures and one sitting transfer leaving eight players.  We should have another developing freshman or a Juco on board, or at very minimum another transfer sitting out so 7+ new faces don't have to be brought in next year.  Uphill battle with a new coach, new staff, limited time to recruit - but should never happen again.

I disagree.

With the late hire, he would have imposed more of a penalty on himself by taking a player just to fill a roster spot. That means he would have that guy for 4 years and we would have one less spot available for a player that he really wanted.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
There are none, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback