Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Ten tourney at MSG  (Read 6048 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Big Ten tourney at MSG
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
Did you read the article?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
Did you read the article?

I did, did you? We were the only conference that got to hold their conference tournament at MSG. Now, the Big Ten will get to play there, diminishing some of the shine of our conference tourney imo.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24871650/big-ten-moving-league-hoops-tourney-to-madison-square-garden-in-2018

This doesn't seem like good news for the BE  ?-(

Represents everything that's wrong with college sports. The Big 10 is the midwest. It has no business being on the east coast. They need to stay in Indy or Chicago. But hey, since they added Rutgers (Rutgers???), apparently they now "own" NYC  ::). It's a joke and a money grab. But that's college sports today. Screw logic and tradition.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »
So they mess up their conference schedule to have their tournament a week earlier just so they can get in MSG?  And yet some Big Tweleventeen fans will still say MSG isn't a big deal for the Big East.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
I did, did you? We were the only conference that got to hold their conference tournament at MSG. Now, the Big Ten will get to play there, diminishing some of the shine of our conference tourney imo.

Yes I did. It affects us in zero way. We play our BE tournament the same time as always during championship week.

It is the BIG10 that will be playing a week early and having a long lay off til the real tourney.

This is not bad news for the BE in any way

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
Yes I did. It affects us in zero way. We play our BE tournament the same time as always during championship week.

It is the BIG10 that will be playing a week early and having a long lay off til the real tourney.

This is not bad news for the BE in any way

I disagree. MSG is the premier arena in the country and the BE had it all to themselves. Now, the Big Ten is invading our territory. If the Big Ten wants to bump us out of MSG after our contract runs out, this could be the first step.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:23:25 PM »
I disagree. MSG is the premier arena in the country and the BE had it all to themselves. Now, the Big Ten is invading our territory. If the Big Ten wants to bump us out of MSG after our contract runs out, this could be the first step.

Pretty sure they are going to continually be rotating to different sites each year.

And this just makes them look bad. Trying to share a tournament site with another conference? And play a week earlier?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
They're going to play it a week earlier, with the mid-majors, to have the chance to play it in MSG in what appears to be a "rotation"?  Seems more like desperation than a threat.  Nice that the BE locked into the contract when it did.  Yeah, we'll be lucky to get an extension to the agreement, but it's a decade away.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
I don't know if MSG will want to give up the regular booking with the Big East just to get an occasional piece of the big ten rotation of sites.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
Pretty sure they are going to continually be rotating to different sites each year.

And this just makes them look bad. Trying to share a tournament site with another conference? And play a week earlier?

I think it could turn out very good for them. They will be competing against the mid majors for viewers that week and should get a lot of exposure. Would much rather watch the Big Ten tourney than the Horizon. Maybe it's much ado about nothing, but I guarantee the higher ups in the BE were less than thrilled when they heard this news.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »
I think the BE knew about it and was OK with it.  I have mentioned this earlier, but the BE seems to be aligning itself with the B10.

For instance, the Gavitt Tip Off games.

http://www.bigten.org/genrel/050514aaa.html

And as I have mentioned, the B10 might see a significant number of their games on Fox and FS1 in future  years as well.

I don't view this as a bad thing at all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Big Ten tournament to be held at MSG in 2018..but same time as mid majors
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 11:07:50 PM »
That's right, the Big Ten will have their tournament at MSG as a warm up before the Big East conference tournament which is a week later.  The Big Ten tournament will be the same time as the mid major tournaments across the country.  Sounds about right.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/06/madison-square-garden-hosts-big-ten-tournament-2018

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't see that it was already posted below.  My apologies.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:09:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

Well, we all know the mighty Big 10 does what it wants, when and how it wants.

Classy bunch.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »
I watch almost no Mini however many regular-season games (don't get much entertainment value out of them) and that'll continue to whenever they hold their postseason tourney. I'd happily watch the final weekend of regular seasons games in the BE, Pac 12, SEC, B12, etc. Besides the MU and other BE games, that weekend this year has Duke - NC, UVA - UL, KU - OU,  Stan - UA, Florida - UK. That's 10 games I'll get more entertainment value out of than the new alternative.
GO WARRIORS!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I watch almost no Mini however many regular-season games (don't get much entertainment value out of them) and that'll continue to whenever they hold their postseason tourney. I'd happily watch the final weekend of regular seasons games in the BE, Pac 12, SEC, B12, etc. Besides the MU and other BE games, that weekend this year has Duke - NC, UVA - UL, KU - OU,  Stan - UA, Florida - UK. That's 10 games I'll get more entertainment value out of than the new alternative.

It's one year.  And it'll get big ratings...probably bigger than usual.  As you said you don't watch many regular season games.  It will be the only tournament on - no competition from the ACC, first time in New York, etc. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
I think it could turn out very good for them. They will be competing against the mid majors for viewers that week and should get a lot of exposure. Would much rather watch the Big Ten tourney than the Horizon. Maybe it's much ado about nothing, but I guarantee the higher ups in the BE were less than thrilled when they heard this news.

No interest in either one. If you're that hard up for entertainment, try reading a book or going to the movies.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
This is all good for the BE. The B1G will not be leaaving its base for NYC.  Rotation among Chicago, Indy, and now DC and NYC is the plan for the B1G.  And the best part is the acknowledgment (and all the pub) that MSG is the premier BBall spot the weekend before the BE tourney. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
I've always wondered how much of an advantage playing in the Garden for the conference tournament is for the BEast member schools. Obviously adds some prestige and brings in a little more moola. I don't thing the B1G playing there will lessen that. It might help the B1G for a season but it helps us every season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »

Hate to insert some reality here, but you're all forgetting that the ACC is in the Barclays Center for their tournament in 2018.

The acknowledgement (and all the pub) won't be around MSG as the premier venue--it will be about NYC as the premier city. And the Big East will get third place billing in the storyline about the B1G/ACC back-to-back tournaments in the same city.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
Really, who cares?
The value/level of interest in the tourney is going to be determined almost entirely by the quality of the teams and matchups, not the building in which the games are played. I doubt very many people are tuning into a game because of its location.
To put it another way, Duke-UNC in Greensboro is going to attract a lot more attention than Clemson-Virginia Tech at the Barclay.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
1.  "The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!"

2.  Of little consequence to the BE.

The correct answer, of course, is 2.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
Really, who cares?
The value/level of interest in the tourney is going to be determined almost entirely by the quality of the teams and matchups, not the building in which the games are played. I doubt very many people are tuning into a game because of its location.
To put it another way, Duke-UNC in Greensboro is going to attract a lot more attention than Clemson-Virginia Tech at the Barclay.

I don't think I recall anyone ever before arguing that the value/level of interest is almost entirely due to the quality of teams and match ups.  If you're correct, any discussion here about keeping the Big East Tournament in MSG is irrational, as we could move the Big East tournament to Omaha or Milwaukee in 2018 and get just as much attention (due to the quality of teams and matchups) as we would by playing in MSG.

Frankly, I don't think you're giving due consideration to the fact that that every media outlet's A-team will be able to set up camp in New York for the better part of two straight weeks to cover the ACC and Big Ten tournaments.  As far as I know, it will be the first time the media will be able to cover two major conference tournaments with the same top-tier crews. Usually the media has to split coverage as the ACC and Big Ten tournaments are running at the same time.  And those guys have to be more excited about two weeks in NYC than a week in Salt Lake or Boise followed by a week in Greensboro or Indianapolis.

We'll know for sure in 2018, but I can easily imagine Dick Vitale hyping "the greatest two weeks of basketball in NYC since Lew Alcincor!" referring to the back-to-back tournaments.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
1.  "The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!"

2.  Of little consequence to the BE.

The correct answer, of course, is 2.

Nobody said the sky was falling  ::) I swear, the stupidity and arrogance of some people on here is laughable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
I don't think I recall anyone ever before arguing that the value/level of interest is almost entirely due to the quality of teams and match ups.  If you're correct, any discussion here about keeping the Big East Tournament in MSG is irrational, as we could move the Big East tournament to Omaha or Milwaukee in 2018 and get just as much attention (due to the quality of teams and matchups) as we would by playing in MSG.  

What discussion here about keeping the Big East Tournament in MSG? I'm not aware of any suggestion here - or elsewhere - that the BE tournament move to Omaha or Milwaukee .... at least until you just raised it.
The discussion here is about the Big ?? holding its tourney occasionally in MSG and how that would somehow damage the BE brand.

Frankly, I don't think you're giving due consideration to the fact that that every media outlet's A-team will be able to set up camp in New York for the better part of two straight weeks to cover the ACC and Big Ten tournaments.  As far as I know, it will be the first time the media will be able to cover two major conference tournaments with the same top-tier crews. Usually the media has to split coverage as the ACC and Big Ten tournaments are running at the same time.  And those guys have to be more excited about two weeks in NYC than a week in Salt Lake or Boise followed by a week in Greensboro or Indianapolis.

That's great for the networks and their announcers, I guess, but I don't see how that's bad for the Big East.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:25:51 AM by Pakuni »

feedback