Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Madison, one year from now  (Read 9867 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Madison, one year from now
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
I really like our chances in the Kohl center.

Luke will have a year under his belt.

Henry will we hitting his stride.

Matt will pound the boards.

Met Matt today in the union.  BIG kid.  I mean BIG.  Very, very nice young man too.  Seems genuinely excited to be a Warrior.  He went in the bookstore to by an MU shirt.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Madison, one year from now
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
It will be sad if we don't curb stop UW next season with all of the minutes they'll have lost.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
Don't forget these guys are seniors

12   Traevon Jackson   G   6-3   207   SR   Westerville, Ohio
44   Frank Kaminsky   F   7-0   242   SR   Lisle, Ill.
13   Duje Dukan     F   6-10   218   RS SR   Deerfield, Ill.
21   Josh Gasser          G   6-4   192   RS SR   Port Washington, Wis.

Additionally, Dekker is a junior and already projected as a first round pick.  He could come out early.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Heck you never know what Hayes may do as well.

His stock could be higher than Dekkers.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
I forgot Duje went to Deerfield. Remember when my dad coached against him twice a year. He was such a prick and Deerfield parents are the worst.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
They won't necessarily be all that bad. This could be a decent starting five, if it all comes out for them:

PG Bronson Koenig
SG Nigel Hayes
SF Sam Dekker
PF Vitto Brown
C Diamond Stone

Bench: Riley Dearring, Zak Showalter, Alex Illikainen

Not what they have now, but still stands to be decent, especially if Dekker comes back, which right now he looks like he needs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
They won't necessarily be all that bad. This could be a decent starting five, if it all comes out for them:

PG Bronson Koenig
SG Nigel Hayes
SF Sam Dekker
PF Vitto Brown
C Diamond Stone

Not what they have now, but still stands to be decent, especially if Dekker comes back, which right now he looks like he needs.

Yes. That is actually a very quality squad but you are banking on Stone committing as well as Dekker and Hayes coming back.

Personally I think Hayes plays through his Junior year but you never know where he's at by March. I think Dekker bolts.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 02:31:58 AM »

PG Bronson Koenig
SG Nigel Hayes
SF Sam Dekker
PF Vitto Brown
C Diamond Stone

Idon't think they get stone. I also think Dekker would be the 2G in this lineup. Hayes would play the three. Have heard dekker will go pro in April but really don't understand what he's done to earn that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 04:09:17 AM »
He went in the bookstore to by an MU shirt.

Jeez. When Monarch was at MU recruits weren't subjected to this sort of insult...

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
No idea if Dekker stays or Stone heads to UW-Madison, just saying that we have a tendency to write Bucky off early and Bo still manages to keep them competitive. Just because we are on the upswing doesn't mean they will be folding the program in Buckyland.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
I forgot Duje went to Deerfield. Remember when my dad coached against him twice a year. He was such a prick and Deerfield parents are the worst.
He did?  I thought he went to Mundelein or something

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
Jeez. When Monarch was at MU recruits weren't subjected to this sort of insult...

Bahahaha. +1 to you sir
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
I really like our chances in the Kohl center.

Luke will have a year under his belt.

Henry will we hitting his stride.

Matt will pound the boards.

Met Matt today in the union.  BIG kid.  I mean BIG.  Very, very nice young man too.  Seems genuinely excited to be a Warrior.  He went in the bookstore to by an MU shirt.

I think Matt is going to be very good for us, but I think it will take longer than 8 or 10 games into his career for that to happen.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets more than token minutes early in the season.

No idea if Dekker stays or Stone heads to UW-Madison, just saying that we have a tendency to write Bucky off early and Bo still manages to keep them competitive. Just because we are on the upswing doesn't mean they will be folding the program in Buckyland.

I agree with this--Wisconsin will be a formidable opponent. 

They also seem to get the better end of the scheduling arrangements, managing to get their home games scheduled when students are in session and early enough that finals aren't an issue.

I think our best move would be to work with the TV networks and see if we can get them to propose the game for a late January or February out-of-conference matchup (similar to Michigan State/Georgetown last year held on 2/1 or St. Johns/Duke on 1/28 a couple of years back), giving our new guys more time to adjust to D1 ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »

PG Bronson Koenig
SG Nigel Hayes
SF Sam Dekker
PF Vitto Brown
C Diamond Stone

Unless his stock completely tanks this year (i.e. unlikely to be taken in the first round tanks), I think Dekker is gone after this season. The team is unlikely to be as good next year as the previous two seasons, and it's increasingly evident that Bo's system isn't providing a great showcase for him.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
I think our best move would be to work with the TV networks and see if we can get them to propose the game for a late January or February out-of-conference matchup (similar to Michigan State/Georgetown last year held on 2/1 or St. Johns/Duke on 1/28 a couple of years back), giving our new guys more time to adjust to D1 ball.

The MU-Wisconsin game has been the first or second Saturday in December since the 2002-03 season. The game hasn't been played in January since 1993-94.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

PG Bronson Koenig
SG Nigel Hayes
SF Sam Dekker
PF Vitto Brown
C Diamond Stone

With the loss of Gasser and Jackson, UW's perimeter defense will not be nearly as strong (and they won't have Kaminsky back there to stifle slashers ).  Will still have a nice team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »
We'll actually be more of "wisconsin's team" than wisconsin next year as we'll have more players from WI (assuming none of our players from wisconsin transfer). If more people payed attention to rosters we might actually be the general public's favorite team.
Maigh Eo for Sam

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
It will be sad if we don't curb stop UW next season with all of the minutes they'll have lost.

What makes you think Marquette will be better than Wisconsin, let alone, "curb stomp" them?

Wisconsin losses a lot, but they have some good pieces back. Happ will also contribute right away. Most likely competing for a Big Ten title again. I'm not saying MU couldn't win the game, but to insinuate that MU is going to walk into the Kohl Center and kick Wisconsin's ass? Doubtful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »
What makes you think Marquette will be better than Wisconsin, let alone, "curb stomp" them?

Wisconsin losses a lot, but they have some good pieces back. Happ will also contribute right away. Most likely competing for a Big Ten title again. I'm not saying MU couldn't win the game, but to insinuate that MU is going to walk into the Kohl Center and kick Wisconsin's ass? Doubtful.

You have 8 rotation players. 4 of them are graduating. 3 of those 4 are starters. Rumors have been that Dekker is gone after this season. So that's 5/8 rotation players and 4/5 starters. Pritzl and Illianken are good but not enough to make up for all of that. Unless you are banking on Stone which I don't think is happening.
TAMU

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
Badger's should have curb stomped MU this year but they didn't.

Year after year the Badger Marquette is a hard game to handicap.  I never bet on it.  The underdog wins a fair amount of the time, and giving points is a fool's errand.

I will be happy to win in the Kohl hole.  Winning there 3 years ago was one of the best wins ever.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

Have to agree with the enemy on this.  How many times have Wisconsin detractors said "they don't return much" only for Bo to have a breakout year from someone, get surprising contributions from someone off the bench, and have a newcomer be better than expected?

Let's wait and watch a few 2015-16 season games first (of both teams) before thinking we are walking into the Kohl Center and doing anything but struggle to win.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Have to agree with the enemy on this.  How many times have Wisconsin detractors said "they don't return much" only for Bo to have a breakout year from someone, get surprising contributions from someone off the bench, and have a newcomer be better than expected?

Let's wait and watch a few 2015-16 season games first (of both teams) before thinking we are walking into the Kohl Center and doing anything but struggle to win.

If Dekker goes with the four graduates, no Bo team will have lost that much in one offseason. If they grab Stone, maybe they offset this. But 4 starters and your top bench player from an 8 man rotation is just too much to make up without an elite recruiting class.
TAMU

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
If Dekker goes with the four graduates, no Bo team will have lost that much in one offseason. If they grab Stone, maybe they offset this. But 4 starters and your top bench player from an 8 man rotation is just too much to make up without an elite recruiting class.

That is already two big "if's".  What if Dekker stays and what if they get Stone?  And what if Marquette newcomers aren't as good as expected?

All I am saying is let's wait until both these teams play 3-4 games in November before saying we can win at Madison.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »
If Dekker goes and Stone doesn't come then Bucky will likely be in trouble. As of right now, I expect both of them to be in the starting five for UW-Madison next year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
I would worry more about what MU has than what Wisconsin will have.  MU does not have a true point guard so a frosh might start, a center that we do not know what he brings yet, no small forward stepping up yet,  a two guard that scored a point yesterday and a frosh who.probably has a big ego so Wojo has a lot of question marks next year as much as Bo will if he does not get Stone, but one thing I know about Bo he wins every year whom ever he has!

feedback