collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sam Dekker  (Read 8637 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Sam Dekker
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
Anyone else underwhelmed by Sam Dekker?  I keep reading how he's a star waiting to happen, yet the guy rarely seems to show up in big games.  I believe DraftExpress has this guy as the Number 11 pick in 2015 draft.  Believe he turns 21 next May.  So young for his class, yet I just don't see what plus skills he has?  Does he shoot it elite?  Midrange elite?  Score off the dribble elite?  Post up elite?  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Sam Dekker
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »
And he's losing his hair too.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
I end up defending Dekker more than I should for a UW player. Would like to see him in a less rigid offense, one where he can make a few more reads and have more iso opportunities. Keep in mind he also has a nagging injury right now as well.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »
Keep in mind he also has a nagging injury right now as well.

Dekker's married?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:37 AM »
Supposedly has a bad ankle. At least that's what Bilas said at one point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
I still remember him taking off from the dotted line after faking deonte out last year..... For the 2 hand jam... That was an NBA Move....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »
I thought the same thing Ners.

I think MUfan12 may have the best point here, the system much be holding him back.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
Yeah I think his game is much more suited to a free flowing offense.  He's 6'9", decent athlete, smart player.  That being said, his 3 point shooting has steadily declined throughout his career.  I can see him being a late first round draft pick.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
I think MUfan12 may have the best point here, the system much be holding him back.

But but but, Devin Harris was a lottery pick! Even more evidence for the swing stifling great, athletic wings.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
I thought the same thing Ners.

I've heard Dekker doesn't like playing in Bo's system, and that it may not be the best fit for him.  Yet, I also feel when thought to be talented guys struggle (unexpectedly) - they blame the system.  See that in football a lot.  Yet they then move to another team and still struggle.  

Not ready to say Dekker won't be an NBA player, yet at some point if you are truly an elite player at the college level, you should absolutely be dominating to be considered a lottery pick.

As Sultan points out - his 3 point shooting has regressed - some guys lose confidence over time when their production doesn't meet their expectations.  I don't like Dekker's form/fundamentals on his Jumper at all, seems to have a very inconsistent release.  See him being like Dom James, who was best as a freshman shooting the ball, but regressed as time moved on.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »

bucky fan friends thinks Bo is too much in Dekker's head right now...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
bucky fan friends thinks Bo is too much in Dekker's head right now...

Gotta explain it somehow.  Oddly Bo is also the coach who many players have grown and improved with over time.  Kaminsky comes to mind.  Dekker, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem to be improving or not breaking out in a star kind of way YET.  Perhaps he will.  I just don't see what in his game he does at an elite level...Good player?  Absolutely.  Lottery pick?  Hard to see at this point for sure.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
Gotta explain it somehow.  Oddly Bo is also the coach who many players have grown and improved with over time.  Kaminsky comes to mind.  Dekker, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem to be improving or not breaking out in a star kind of way YET.  Perhaps he will.  I just don't see what in his game he does at an elite level...Good player?  Absolutely.  Lottery pick?  Hard to see at this point for sure.

Probably just coincidence, but it seems like Bo's highest-rated recruits (Butch, Dekker, Krabenhoft, Steimsma) never develop much at UW, while lesser-known guys (Kaminsky, Tucker, Harris) can flourish.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

I think Bo does well with good, not great, HS players who have sound fundamentals who can be brought along slowly and steadily in a system that is designed for efficiency and and highlighting said player's positive traits.  This is not as successful for players with already gifted skill sets who have the ability to freelance and flourish.  I think that is the reason there is limited success at or ability for said players to jump to the next level.  Kaminsky will be interesting as he has a unique skillset that could translate to the NBA.  Otherwise, the scores of players that were low-ranked recruits who turned into All-B10 performers within the system had great college careers but little to no NBA potential.  Can you think of the last "high" rated recruit who became THAT much better under Bo?  Hughes?  Not really. Krabbenhoft? No.  Steisma? Not until after college.  Butch? They'll go crazy over that one, but no.

They'll keep getting the 75-150 guys and making them good players, but top 50 guys that were helped into legit NBA guys, Bo has very little track record

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
Just like Bo makes less talented players out of high school better, he makes more talented players out of high school "worse" (not literally, but in terms of their progression).  Dekker, Butch, etc. come into UW's system ranked highly and people have these expectations that they will be incredible college players, yet if they never went to Wisconsin then the 175th ranked recruit that is their backup would produce relatively similarly to what those 2 actually produce(d).

That's the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing Stone go to UW.  Imagine Stone and his father watching all the guards get the ball in the post as Stone stands outside the 3 point line.  A sure fire, can't miss, dominating big spending 4 years setting screens and swinging the ball.  That would be fun to watch.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
Just like Bo makes less talented players out of high school better, he makes more talented players out of high school "worse" (not literally, but in terms of their progression).  Dekker, Butch, etc. come into UW's system ranked highly and people have these expectations that they will be incredible college players, yet if they never went to Wisconsin then the 175th ranked recruit that is their backup would produce relatively similarly to what those 2 actually produce(d).

That's the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing Stone go to UW.  Imagine Stone and his father watching all the guards get the ball in the post as Stone stands outside the 3 point line.  A sure fire, can't miss, dominating big spending 4 years setting screens and swinging the ball.  That would be fun to watch.

Bo's system takes average players and makes them good, and takes great players and make them good.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »

5 years. Stone will redshirt his first year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
Bo's system takes average players and makes them good, and takes great players and make them good.

Exactly.

5 years. Stone will redshirt his first year.

Good call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
A sure fire, can't miss, dominating big spending 4 years setting screens and swinging the ball.  That would be fun to watch.

4 years... that's a lot of tests. You think he'd last that long?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
4 years... that's a lot of tests. You think he'd last that long?

At Madison?  You don't even have to be able to read to pass their classes if you're a big time athlete.  Just ask Ron Dayne.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
You don't even have to be able to read to pass their classes if you're a big time athlete.  Just ask Ron Dayne.

Surely you jest! The Harvard of the Midwest would never stand for such a thing.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »

That's excellent, and accurate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I like Bilas. Might be the best color commentator in all of sports.

But his contention that four current Badgers will be in the NBA -- including effen Gasser -- makes me wonder if he didn't take too many Mark Alarie elbows in the head during practice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »

But his contention that four current Badgers will be in the NBA -- including effen Gasser -- makes me wonder if he didn't take too many Mark Alarie elbows in the head during practice.

I would like to see Gasser try and guard an NBA 1 or 2 guard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »

You never know. Chris Quinn somehow managed 5+ seasons in the NBA. With the expanded rosters, some guys who'd have never had a chance a decade ago are landing on NBA rosters.