Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: tOSU Stats  (Read 15457 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
tOSU Stats
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
MU wins 3 out of 4 factors...yet that eFG factor was brutal.  End of the day, MU turned it over less, had more free throws and offensive rebounds, made the same amount of treys...but that 20-8 gap in fast break points was the killer. 

How bad was the defense?  Second highest (worst) eFg% game by opponents since the turn of the century at least (no stats before on opponents). Just brutal. Only one worse was the Creighton stinker in Milwaukee last season.

Duane with a 120 Orating to lead.  JJJ and Burton were bad.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2014/11/18/marquette-63-ohio-state-74

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: tOSU Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »

Stats by the half. As Doc said, the defensive eFG% was brutal. This is your early reminder that eFG% is by far the most important factor. It is at least twice as important as any other factor.

Solid work on the defensive glass. MU's defensive turnover rate was very good. Too bad their offensive turnover rate was crap.

On the player side, #FreeSteveTaylor and Duane were the only net-positive players. Cohen was close.

JJJ went from the best player on the court in the first game to the worst player on the court last night. I joked that my new nickname for him is "f*ck it I'm shooting". Bane had a similar turnaround from net positive to net negative in the two games. I honestly don't take much from either at this point, however.

Still better than last year!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
MU wins 3 out of 4 factors...yet that eFG factor was brutal.  End of the day, MU turned it over less, had more free throws and offensive rebounds, made the same amount of treys...but that 20-8 gap in fast break points was the killer. 

How bad was the defense?  Second highest (worst) eFg% game by opponents since the turn of the century at least (no stats before on opponents). Just brutal. Only one worse was the Creighton stinker in Milwaukee last season.

Duane with a 120 Orating to lead.  JJJ and Burton were bad.

What--Duane with an Orating of 120 to lead the team? Better explain that to TAMU who continues the love fest for the elight one.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
What--Duane with an Orating of 120 to lead the team? Better explain that to TAMU who continues the love fest for the elight one.

No love fest here. Want Derrick to get between 8-15 minutes.

Duane racked up those stats in garbage time when the game was well in hand. Before that, he was a liability on the court. So the garbage minute stats show that he has some ability, but I put more stock in players who can perform when the game is still winnable.

I also want more time for Duane, off the ball. I like Derrick as a game managing backup PG, just like he was on the elite eight team. Better that that actually, since he can apparently make a three now. Last night, JJJ should have gotten less time in favor of Duane.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Ellisium

• Starter
  • The Dark One Shall Rise Again
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »

I hate to say it, but too many people are sugarcoating this loss thinking that MU is going to make the NCAA tourney.  Sure, people are excited that we just played our first decent opponent, but our defense was absolutely bottom feeder material.  Remember that Ohio St. is a guard oriented team.  This was actually a good thing for Marquette as MU can't match up with teams that play big.  Even then, MU was blown away by not being able to contain the Buckeyes due to poor team defense.  Folks ..... we hadn't played this bad in 14 years and people are thinking we are going to be better than last years team.  I'm sorry, but that's just not going to happen.  Wait until we play a team with bigs that can score.  It's going to be brutal as we will be exposed.  

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
I hate to say it, but too many people are sugarcoating this loss thinking that MU is going to make the NCAA tourney.  Sure, people are excited that we just played our first decent opponent, but our defense was absolutely bottom feeder material.  Remember that Ohio St. is a guard oriented team.  This was actually a good thing for Marquette as MU can't match up with teams that play big.  Even then, MU was blown away by not being able to contain the Buckeyes due to poor team defense.  Folks ..... we hadn't played this bad in 14 years and people are thinking we are going to be better than last years team.  I'm sorry, but that's just not going to happen.  Wait until we play a team with bigs that can score.  It's going to be brutal as we will be exposed.  

WE HADN'T PLAYED THIS BAD IN 14 YEARS?!?!?

Just last year we played worse against Southern, Ohio State, New Hampshire, DePaul (x2), @ Creighton, @ St. John's. , @ Villanova. But yeah, apart from the 8 times we played worse last year, and the countless times we played worse in prior year, that was the worst we played for sure

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
WE HADN'T PLAYED THIS BAD IN 14 YEARS?!?!?

Just last year we played worse against Southern, Ohio State, New Hampshire, DePaul (x2), @ Creighton, @ St. John's. , @ Villanova. But yeah, apart from the 8 times we played worse last year, and the countless times we played worse in prior year, that was the worst we played for sure

We let Ohio St. have an effective Offensive Efficiency of almost 75%.  That was the worst in 14 years by a Marquette team.  Unacceptable.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
We let Ohio St. have an effective Offensive Efficiency of almost 75%.  That was the worst in 14 years by a Marquette team.  Unacceptable.

There is literally no other MU fan that cares more about defensive eFG% than me.

Having said that, even I'm not stressed out about last night's defensive eFG% results, for lots of reasons. New coach, start of the season, young team, road game, etc. Now, if it becomes a pattern, then that's a different story.

As bad as the defensive eFG% was last night, MU only gave up 1.09 ppp. There were eleven games worse than that last year alone.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
There is literally no other MU fan that cares more about defensive eFG% than me.

Having said that, even I'm not stressed out about last night's defensive eFG% results, for lots of reasons. New coach, start of the season, young team, road game, etc. Now, if it becomes a pattern, then that's a different story.

As bad as the defensive eFG% was last night, MU only gave up 1.09 ppp. There were eleven games worse than that last year alone.

Word. Agreed.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Something that may only interest me.

Marquette's defensive turnover rate in its first two games this year would rank #5 and #6 among all games last year.

And, its defensive rebounding % would have been the best all year last year
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:33:23 PM by Henry Sugar »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »

And I bet half of those 11 were against teams worse than Ohio State.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »
And I bet half of those 11 were against teams worse than Ohio State.

most of them were teams worse than OSU. There were also a few wins despite being lousy defensively.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »

I'm not stressed out about the eFG%.  IT's the fact that the attitude here is that this is an NCAA tourney team, of which, this team is not.  This team will be lucky to be .500    Bubble NIT team is the ceiling.  

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Ellisium - let's see what else may happen...

1)  We add a talented a 6'10" player to starting lineup.
2)  Taylor moves back to being a 4
3)  Burton moves back to playing a 3
4)  JJJ, Cohen, Burton, Wilson all gain maturity and improve
5)  Team gains confidence in Wojo's system
6)  Wojo gains experience coaching as head coach

Bet this team plays a bit better as the season goes, but we should just end the season now cause of a bad eFG% last night.

So the eFG% has bad - troubling but it's the statement "IT's the fact that the attitude here is that this is an NCAA tourney team, of which, this team is not"

How the HELL do you know this team is or is not a tourney team after 2 games.  You must be the know it all god of NCAA tourney quality teams.  

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:56:19 PM by madtownwarrior »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »

Duane racked up those stats in garbage time when the game was well in hand. Before that, he was a liability on the court. So the garbage minute stats show that he has some ability, but I put more stock in players who can perform when the game is still winnable.

I also want more time for Duane, off the ball. I like Derrick as a game managing backup PG, just like he was on the elite eight team. Better that that actually, since he can apparently make a three now. Last night, JJJ should have gotten less time in favor of Duane.
Right--it was all in garbage time--as you say. He was playing, the other players were playing--in fact he was continuing to try, as was Carlino. That, of course means nothing to you, to defend your meaningless statement. Keep downplaying him and denigrating him, because he is proving you wrong. You infer that you put more stock in players who can perform when the game is winnable--like your boy, Derrick. Please!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
Ellisium - let's see what else may happen...

1)  We add a talented a 6'10" player to starting lineup.
2)  Taylor moves back to being a 4
3)  Burton moves back to playing a 3
4)  JJJ, Cohen, Burton, Wilson all gain maturity and improve
5)  Team gains confidence in Wojo's system
6)  Wojo gains experience coaching as head coach

Bet this team plays a bit better as the season goes, but we should just end the season now cause of a bad eFG% last night.

So the eFG% has bad - troubling but it's the statement "IT's the fact that the attitude here is that this is an NCAA tourney team, of which, this team is not"

How the HELL do you know this team is or is not a tourney team after 2 games.  You must be the know it all god of NCAA tourney quality teams.  

It doesn't take a God.  Read up on sports, play them, and watch them.  There isn't one analyst who has MU in the field.  Their team doesn't have the bigs to carry them and the talent at guard isn't good enough to balance that flaw out.  Last night's debacle on defense show's that they can't defend guard oriented teams and we all know they'll have a difficult time with oversized teams.  The personnel on this team just isn't that good. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
but if a team picked for 9th in the BEast can go into Columbus and only lose by 11 would that indicate most of the teams picked higher might have won last night? of course not, just like it looks like Kansas is way over-ranked at #5 - its too early for bracketology  - lighten up Francis!

It doesn't take a God.  Read up on sports, play them, and watch them.  There isn't one analyst who has MU in the field.  Their team doesn't have the bigs to carry them and the talent at guard isn't good enough to balance that flaw out.  Last night's debacle on defense show's that they can't defend guard oriented teams and we all know they'll have a difficult time with oversized teams.  The personnel on this team just isn't that good.  

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »
I'm not stressed out about the eFG%.  IT's the fact that the attitude here is that this is an NCAA tourney team, of which, this team is not.  This team will be lucky to be .500    Bubble NIT team is the ceiling.  

I generally agree with you, but I'm not so definitive in my conclusions this early.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »

Classic example of stats, no matter how supposedly "relevant," being of little use in certain specific cases.

Duane played quite poorly yesterday. Defensively, he was awful in both games. Offensively, just about no impact whatsoever.

I'm not saying he's no good. Heck, I'm not saying that he won't be a first-team All-American someday. And I agree with TAMU that I'd like to see Duane more off the ball (as well as on the ball).

Just saying I don't care how good his eFG% has been, because he obviously has been less than good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ellisium

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
but if a team picked for 9th in the BEast can go into Columbus and only lose by 11 would that indicate most of the teams picked higher might have won last night? of course not, just like it looks like Kansas is way over-ranked at #5 - its too early for bracketology  - lighten up Francis!

Did you watch the game?  The final score wasn't indicative of the true nature of the game.  Ohio State made a lot of mistakes and doesn't have a big man that score.  Watch when MU plays Wisconsin.  I guarantee we lose by 15+  Wanna bet?  Or are you the person that sees a number 20 next to ohio state and thinks they're great?  I can tell you this.  Ohio State isn't that great of a team.  They're going to take some lumps in the Big 10 this year, not having a big man down low.  

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »
It doesn't take a God.  Read up on sports, play them, and watch them.  There isn't one analyst who has MU in the field.  Their team doesn't have the bigs to carry them and the talent at guard isn't good enough to balance that flaw out.  Last night's debacle on defense show's that they can't defend guard oriented teams and we all know they'll have a difficult time with oversized teams.  The personnel on this team just isn't that good. 

Wasn't one analyst who had MU near the field in 2006 or 2010 either.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Did you watch the game?  The final score wasn't indicative of the true nature of the game.  Ohio State made a lot of mistakes and doesn't have a big man that score.  Watch when MU plays Wisconsin.  I guarantee we lose by 15+  Wanna bet?  Or are you the person that sees a number 20 next to ohio state and thinks they're great?  I can tell you this.  Ohio State isn't that great of a team.  They're going to take some lumps in the Big 10 this year, not having a big man down low.  

We made mistakes too. A bunch of them. Why can we use OSU's mistakes as a reason they didn't blow us out but not use MU's as a reason we should have kept it closer? And OSU will finish top 3 in the Big 10.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Did you watch the game?  The final score wasn't indicative of the true nature of the game.  Ohio State made a lot of mistakes and doesn't have a big man that score.  Watch when MU plays Wisconsin.  I guarantee we lose by 15+  Wanna bet?  Or are you the person that sees a number 20 next to ohio state and thinks they're great?  I can tell you this.  Ohio State isn't that great of a team.  They're going to take some lumps in the Big 10 this year, not having a big man down low. 

OSU has 2 listed at 6'11" and another 6'10". Amir Williams didn't miss a shot last night, I think they will be fine this year and end up ranked higher than they are now.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »

Don't you think a primary reasons for that was 1)  the unforced tOSU turnovers and 2) lack of fouls called settling for mostly jump shots?

While I agree with you about all your reasons not to worry, if we would have faced a guard oriented team which got into the lane consistantly drawing fouls that 1.09 ppp goes skyrocketing through the roof.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

Henry, you understand the numbers much better than I do, but here is what at least I think I saw: the stats show our eFG% against was really bad both halves but even worse in the first. But what I saw was a defense that was much better in the first half. We forced more TOs and more difficult shots but OSU couldn't miss from 3. I hope it was because we tired, but the second have was one uncontested dunk/layup after another. Their eFG% went down only in the last 3-4 minutes when they slowed things down with a 20 point lead. (3points in their last 7 possessions)

Here's the stat that stands out for me - in the first half OSU shot 7 dunks or layups (made 5). In the second they shot an almost unbelievable 18 dunks or layups (made 14). That's almost one a minute! I'm sure some of it was because we were gassed but it's still a big WOW.

feedback