Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Post Game  (Read 12110 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Wojo Post Game
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »
1. Going to press more while Luke is out, need to create offense

2. Emphasizing transition defense

3. Sandy is going to be terrific for us

4. Small margin of error, fans are going to be huge for us

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:14:16 PM by MUDPT »

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Wojo Post Game
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
Sounds smart.  MU has quickness.  Can't make anything easy such as letting the opponents get in the front court.  Make them work for every inch of advancing the ball.  Less time for opponents to use their size advantage.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
I wasn't counting on much from Sandy this year.   If he can just be a 6'6 ball of energy that makes good decisions with the ball, that would be huge.  

Wojo said his starting line up was determined by who the best players in practice were.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:10:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
I wasn't counting on much from Sandy this year.   If he can just be a 6'6 ball of energy that makes good decisions with the ball, that would be huge.  

Wojo said is starting line up was determined by who the best players in practice were.   

I hope every stroke center in the country is staffed and ready to work. Statements like that will cause numerous health problems among fans.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
I hope every stroke center in the country is staffed and ready to work. Statements like that will cause numerous health problems among fans.

I thought only Buzz decided who starts by how they play in practice?  ?-(

At least that is what I was told last year.....

Nice to see them make some 3s in the 2nd half......they will need to make them to compete against good teams this year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
I thought only Buzz decided who starts by how they play in practice?  ?-(

You are right. A segment of Scoopers concluded last year that a coach who decides starters/playing time based on practice performance was a moron, someone throwing games or both. That doesn't bode well for Wojo.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:21:23 PM by Lennys Tap »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
Wojo did seem play much shorter 4 against 5 periods though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:55:40 AM by madtownwarrior »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
I thought only Buzz decided who starts by how they play in practice?  ?-(

Nice to see them make some 3s in the 2nd half......they will need to make them to compete against good teams this year.
but then when those amazing practice players lay bricks in game after game after game at what point do you say..gee I wonder if I need to try something else?  

Somehow I still doubt if Juan and Jake were better than Burton and Mayo in practice last year?   Not who starts it's who finishes.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »
Oh good. I was hoping this thread would go that way because it had been at least 10 minutes since this subject was debated.

Now pardon me while I gouge my eyes out with my official Marquette letter opener.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
but then when those amazing practice players lay bricks in game after game after game at what point do you say..gee I wonder if I need to try something else?  

Somehow I still doubt if Juan and Jake were better than Burton and Mayo in practice last year?   Not who starts it's who finishes.

Congrats man you hijacked a thread back to last year's team! I know it's not the first time but you've done it so many times I feel like you need a congrats.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Juans averaging 27.0 ppg this year. Quite a step up from last year!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:09:36 PM by Nevada233 »

Boone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
Got the sense from listening to the postgame that Wojo was less than thrilled w/fan turnout. He said a couple times 'fans who were here' and added that  we need them this season. Granted, it was only an exhibition, but that's easily the most sparsely attended game I've been to.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
Got the sense from listening to the postgame that Wojo was less than thrilled w/fan turnout. He said a couple times 'fans who were here' and added that  we need them this season. Granted, it was only an exhibition, but that's easily the most sparsely attended game I've been to.

Unless this this team has a few surprises, my guess is attendance will be down this season.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
Seeing as it's the first game, wouldn't Wojo have to pick the starters based on who did the best in practice? There's nothing else to go off of at this point.

He didn't say he was going to go by who practices best all season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »
Seeing as it's the first game, wouldn't Wojo have to pick the starters based on who did the best in practice? There's nothing else to go off of at this point.

He didn't say he was going to go by who practices best all season.

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this again ... but what the hell ... new coach - new season - old debate!

I coach at the middle-school level and have many friends who are high school and college coaches.

Most coaches base their starting lineups and rotations on a few factors: how they practice, how they perform when the lights go on, lineup combinations, matchups, hot-hand theory, chemistry, momentum, comfort level, etc.

I don't know any coach who bases his starting lineup in every game based solely on that week's practices. A coach might say he does so at a press conference, but coaches say all kinds of things at a press conference. Now, this kind of exhibition is different; as TallTitan says, practice is all Wojo had to go on.

Based on my many decades of experience as coach, as player and mostly as observer, the overriding factor always always is: "Who should I play and when should I play them to give us the best chance to win today's game?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »

They should have let fans in for free for this game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »

I don't get the sense that is Wojo's style.....I think he was being honest...he appreciated the support.......Juan tweeted out thanking all the fans for showing up even if it was an exhibition game......

https://twitter.com/steve_wojo/status/531226408589459456

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
I was quite impressed with the student attendence today. I've seen many a conference game that had less.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
They should have let fans in for free for this game.

Wojo has the expectation of the Camron Crazies. #mubb's sixth man is no Camron Crazies... possible he was underwhelmed?

DiehardMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
Wojo has the expectation of the Camron Crazies. #mubb's sixth man is no Camron Crazies... possible he was underwhelmed?

Yeah, must be a little awkward hearing about the 6th man and "best student section in the nation"...  Not knocking the MU student section, as they have been solid at times, but come on.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
Here we go again....

FACT: The students filled their section of the lower bowl today and spilled into the upper.  Sure many arrived late or left early.

FACT: Lower bowl alumni attendance was about typical from what I remember of prior exhibitions.  Not great; not horrible.

FACT: Dr. Lovell made it.  How 'bout you?

FACT: Chick and I drove from Chicago.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:54:59 PM by jsglow »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Here we go again....

FACT: The students filled their section off the lower bowl today and spilled into the upper.  Sure many arrived late or left early.

FACT: Lower bowl alumni attendance was about typical from what I remember of prior exhibitions.  Not great; not horrible.

FACT: Dr. Lovell made it.  How 'bout you?

FACT: Chick and I drove from Chicago.

Glad to hear you and Chick made it. But I have a rule. Make it worth my while to drive from the North Suburbs and I'll go.

I'm a geezer, but I remember when these exhibitions included The Russian Olympic Team (1972 Silver Medalists), Athletes in Action or the Cuban Olympic Team (with the students dressed in Fidel Castro fatigues). All were more attractive than Wisconsin Lutheran.

I think they could have gotten a better game from the high school team from where Chick and I were graduated than they got from Wisconsin Lutheran. Wanna stay local? Call up Marquette High or UWM!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
Congrats man you hijacked a thread back to last year's team! I know it's not the first time but you've done it so many times I feel like you need a congrats.
Lol - I didn't hijack crap. The same goofballs that defended Buzz to death last year jumped right on board and started it in this thread about Buzz not being only one who based his starting lineup on how guys practiced. And as had been pointed out - Duh...at this point what else is Wojo going to go off?  Recruiting rankings?  Class year. Of course since we are small right now you have to play Steve and Juan too almost by default. After 15 games of seeing how all guys perform in not just practice, but games, as well as different matchups against different opponents, there are then a lot more variables involved in how you determine starting lineup.

If you want to take issue with the "hijack" take it up with Tower and Lenny.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
Glad to hear you and Chick made it. But I have a rule. Make it worth my while to drive from the North Suburbs and I'll go.

I'm a geezer, but I remember when these exhibitions included The Russian Olympic Team (1972 Silver Medalists), Athletes in Action or the Cuban Olympic Team (with the students dressed in Fidel Castro fatigues). All were more attractive than Wisconsin Lutheran.

I think they could have gotten a better game from the high school team from where Chick and I were graduated than they got from Wisconsin Lutheran. Wanna stay local? Call up Marquette High or UWM!

We do get the benefit of seeing the kids.  Plus it was a good 'scout' opportunity.  My take.  Sandy Cohen III will contribute meaningful minutes this year and it's correct that Dawson is man no. 9.  The best news was that Juan only had a cramp.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
If you come from Duke where their arena holds like 12,000 I think and the student section surrounds the playing floor mostly, the BC can look empty with 10,000 or how many showed up.  I drove up from Chicago too. It was worth the drive.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:49:02 PM by Daniel »